Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th October 2020, 13:10   #1
Scoobydodad
Regular poster

Rover 75

Wink Rover 75 bonnet problems

Hi need some advice, just bought a set of bonnet cables and plungers as I call them, all installed work fine when I shut the bonnet and pull the lever bonnet won't open left side is there a certain length the plungers should be I did make the left hand one the same length as the right one still won't open have had to undo the 10mm bolts in the left hand one with bonnet shut to open it, any advice would be helpful.
Scoobydodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2020, 13:37   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Make sure the two bolts either side of the "half moon" catches aren't too tight. Have someone pull the lever in the car and watch to see the catches move in and out.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2020, 14:23   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

We had this happen at a Nano meet once, no matter what we did the cable would not activate the catch, to cut a long story short we had put the nipple on the end of the cable in the wrong way.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2020, 14:58   #4
Scoobydodad
Regular poster

Rover 75

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Make sure the two bolts either side of the "half moon" catches aren't too tight. Have someone pull the lever in the car and watch to see the catches move in and out.
Hi thanks for reply, with bonnet open pull lever all works fine opens both catches it's only when you close the bonnet the left hand won't open this is why I asked if the plungers are a certain length.
Mike
Scoobydodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2020, 15:51   #5
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobydodad View Post
Hi thanks for reply, with bonnet open pull lever all works fine opens both catches it's only when you close the bonnet the left hand won't open this is why I asked if the plungers are a certain length.
Mike
Post #2 is your first and most favorite/easiest check; the catches are notorious for getting 'sticky' with age so regardless a bit of latch lubrication wouldn't go amiss. Next, if you still have the old cable first check that the new one has the same length of 'free wire/nipple' showing (measure it?) then check the installed cable seating at the cable splitter box. The OEM box can be a bit 'frail' and the nipple for the O/S catch may have pulled through so that when you carried out your check it might have appeared to operate but doesn't actually move the full motion (the guillotine sliders in the catches which are clearly visible should move the same distance) and thus doesn't 'un-latch' the pin.
The pins are adjustable (you'll need an 18mm A/F thin open-end spanner and a flat bladed screwdriver for that) but if it all worked fine before you replaced the cables and you didn't adjust either pin, checking out the above should resolve things.
There's a how-to on here showing a simple cable tie mod. that prevents the cable nipples from pulling through the splitter box. You can also buy an upgraded 3-D printed aftermarket splitter box for a few quid

Last edited by rab60bit; 20th October 2020 at 09:46.. Reason: Clarification/afterthought...
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote