Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th July 2020, 17:36   #11
Steven211
Regular poster

VW Golf TDI yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGRS View Post
Hello there,
This is a very big issue at the moment - as expected, the Chinese arms flew off the shelf and we're back to the XPart Indian arms now.
I'll see if we have any I've forgotten about, however

We do have a solution in the pipeline as I've mentioned elsewhere - however this is at least 6 months away. The end result will be an arm that takes all of the design flaws of the subsequent arms into account, and aims to fix them all - Mr Kipling test and all.
There's even a couple of modifications over and above the original part that will help them stand the test of time.

I can't say too much yet, but I will elaborate once we have certainty in production and supply of this revised part. For now, it's very much in the design stage.
If any members have feedback on aspects of the Indian arm they're not happy with, feel free to PM me - I think I've got all of the issues sorted, but I'm always happy to check.

One added bonus is we're going to have the arms finished with a multi-layer 'fancy pants' coating that'll help them last a lot longer - both inside and out coated and finished to the same degree.
I'll put my name down for those , I need both top arms but seeing this thread I'd rather wait. They were good enough for MOT.
Steven211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2020, 18:22   #12
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I think if we were to receive parts that are not up to standard it is our responsibility to return them and let the suppliers know that they are not to an acceptable standard. If we keep them and fix them ourselves, or just toss them the suppliers will not know they have a problem.
Small suppliers like DMGRS, where the boss handles every part that comes through the door are more likely to spot a substandard part that a company like Rimmers where warehousemen unpack, shelve, then later pick and ship the parts. Someone in authority will never see them and no-one will realize there is a problem to report to their supplier unless they are told.
If X-Part get enough complaints on specific parts from their dealers they will have to get it together and deal with problems.
Not being from the UK I find the comments about Trading Standards interesting. Do they just relay complaints to the supplier and negotiate a solution or do they issue fines? It seems to me that hitting a small supplier with a large fine could be counter-productive. Where I live there are remedies for fraud other than that we generally take our business elsewhere..
Old 20th July 2020, 18:29   #13
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven211 View Post
I'll put my name down for those , I need both top arms but seeing this thread I'd rather wait. They were good enough for MOT.

Likewise. Please keep us posted. thanks
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2020, 18:43   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
I think if we were to receive parts that are not up to standard it is our responsibility to return them and let the suppliers know that they are not to an acceptable standard. If we keep them and fix them ourselves, or just toss them the suppliers will not know they have a problem.
Small suppliers like DMGRS, where the boss handles every part that comes through the door are more likely to spot a substandard part that a company like Rimmers where warehousemen unpack, shelve, then later pick and ship the parts. Someone in authority will never see them and no-one will realize there is a problem to report to their supplier unless they are told.
If X-Part get enough complaints on specific parts from their dealers they will have to get it together and deal with problems.
Not being from the UK I find the comments about Trading Standards interesting. Do they just relay complaints to the supplier and negotiate a solution or do they issue fines? It seems to me that hitting a small supplier with a large fine could be counter-productive. Where I live there are remedies for fraud other than that we generally take our business elsewhere..
With x-part and Rimmers, I see no problem with a fine for the simple reason "stuff made yesterday in India and sold today cannot be genuine"
Poor quality issues are a little different to me, give the trader a chance to remade, if they wont then trading standards may be a way to go.

Interesting point about trading standards and this is my understanding. Despite their web site you actually speak to citizens advice, they take the details and pass it on. You cannot call trading standards and speak to them.
If I'm wrong and anyone has experience of complaining direct to trading standards and speaking to them, please post.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2020, 19:04   #15
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Trading standards. I have made complaints in the past, and have had them visit me at home. One instance was with a certain company that made a drink from berries. No name no pack drill. My friend made the same complaint about the same company around the same time. We alleged that they were committing fraud by selling water instead of the actual constituents on the package. We had bought this item from a well known large company at separate times, so it was not a ‘one off’ mistake. After contacting Trading Standards, they took all the details over the phone, and then asked if someone could call on us to examine the goods. They came and we showed we had opened two of the cartons out of the six, and they contained water. They asked if they could take them away for examination. We said yes, but we wanted to know what the outcome was if we allowed them to take them, and they assured us that would tell us the results. Long story short. The cartons were mostly water when they were examined. We were told that they had been to the company and seen the process that takes place when filling the cartons. Evidently the company makes other (juices) in the same machines, and between processes the pipes are cleaned out with water. Evidently they (the company) admitted that the pipes had not been properly purged of the water from the pipes, and would take steps to make sure that it would not happen again. We were given vouchers to get replacement juices from the company. Trading Standards said that this time they would not apply any penalties. Satisfactory outcome in this case, and a let off for the company. There was a sequel to this later on when it occurred again but not to us. And as far as I know, nothing was done again. Glad it was not me it happened to because I would have kicked up a stink in the nationals. Collusion to allow fraud is what I would have fought the case on.
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:38   #16
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I have worked in many juice and dairy plants (including a large dairy in Perry Barr back in the day - we used to stay at a hotel in Great Barr) and that is very sloppy production practice.

What should happen after every product change is the first cartons off are tested and in most cases where it is safe to do so, tasted, and if they aren't up to standard then the lines are drained through and the cartons retested.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2020, 21:19   #17
bl52krz
This is my second home

If as you say it was ‘sloppy’ working practise, you would have thought that the management would have taken certain steps to make sure it never happened again. You say you worked at the dairy in Perry Barr, was it the Midland Counties On Aldridge Road?
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:04   #18
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quite agree the management should have done exactly that. Yes it was the dairy on the Aldridge Road - I think it was owned by Avonmore when I was there and then I think sold to Express Dairies. Also went to Island Road, Handsworth a few times and regularly to the Co-Op down in Vauxhall Road.

All of them gone now of course.

As for the upper suspension arms I've fitted both second hand repainted ones and new originals too but I wouldn't bother with the Indian parts. Looking with interest at the new arms DMGRS mentioned.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:31   #19
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Interesting reading that makes me think that the new OE top arms and VGC used rear ZT subframe that I've had squirreled away for a few years will soon be worth more than my car...
Amazing how the value of parts etc changes so fast, when I first bought redfive some 10 years ago I remember buying on e-bay a genuine MG/Rover boot mounted warning triangle still in it's factory wrapping for £5.
Old 23rd July 2020, 22:13   #20
bl52krz
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Quite agree the management should have done exactly that. Yes it was the dairy on the Aldridge Road - I think it was owned by Avonmore when I was there and then I think sold to Express Dairies. Also went to Island Road, Handsworth a few times and regularly to the Co-Op down in Vauxhall Road.

All of them gone now of course.

As for the upper suspension arms I've fitted both second hand repainted ones and new originals too but I wouldn't bother with the Indian parts. Looking with interest at the new arms DMGRS mentioned.
Island Road was originally Handsworth Dairy Head Quarters. Vauxhall used to be Co-op as you say. I used to work for The Birmingham Bottle Exchange in the 60s, and did most of the dairies in brum, and the Breweries. Worcester Sauce factory at Worcester, I used to get there about dinner time and have my cheese sandwiches with the pungent smell of the sauce , it was as if it was on the sandwiches. Midland counties Cato Street North was another big dairy. Ahh, the good old days.