Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th August 2018, 12:21   #1
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts
Default How Much Have You Spent?

Since buying my Baby back in '06, I have done my best to keep a full and detailed service history of the car, as well as keeping all invoices for any additional items purchased. You know the sort of thing: new headunit, walnut bits, new badges etc etc.

Now, there are admittedly a few bits missing: a handful of items purchased through the club via Paypal where I never got around to printing off Paypal details, so I reckon I could probably add another hundred pounds or so to the grand total. But that said, I reckon my history file includes a good 95% of all "extras" bought for the car, as well as 100% of all service costs.

What it doesn't include, is money spent on petrol, car cleaning products, car tax, or car insurance, though the latter two could probably be discovered with a little bit of research.

Anyhow, with all that in mind, today for now particular reason, I decided to put all the costs into a spreadsheet to see how much I've spent on her. Afterall, it can't be very much, can it?

Turns out I've spent £14,451.41 (not including the cars initial purchase)! I don't think I'll bother working out insurance and tax costs, and as for cleaning products and tools, they're DEFINITELY not going on the list!
Sounds a lot, but it works out at around £1200 a year, which really isn't that bad considering it's a really long list . Ah well, everyone needs a hobby I suppose

Has anyone else here worked out how much they've spent over the years? Go on, you know you want to .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 12:24   #2
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

I dread to think!

However I'm not prepared to stop spending money on Tarquin any time soon - The old bus has too many miles left in her for me to do that.
Old 11th August 2018, 12:42   #3
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

V6 bought on 14/01/2017 total cost so far on items/repairs = £1900

1.8 (naughty Bones) bought on 08/04/2017 costs so far on items/repairs = £2235

Bones would have been a heck of a lot more if trikey hadn't stepped in to help, I might add!

When I look at this, I wonder where on earth I managed to get this money from! Although the Visa has helped lol! A lot of the V6 bill was a full front to back stainless exhaust, I might add, so not entirely the car's fault I chose that option!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 12:44   #4
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

This is a very dangerous topic!

Like you I keep all my receipts, but I daren't total it up. I have had my car approaching 4 years now & I suspect I have spent over £3k easily. Sadly this will increase quite sharply when I have the lower part of the car resprayed next month

On top of this, there is my Spitfire restoration which will be much higher & I definitely will not be adding this up - new front/rear wings, front wheel arches, multiple repair panels, gearbox rebuild the list goes on & on!

You are quite right though, we all need a hobby. I don't smoke & rarely drink & I take pride in what I achieve.

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 12:52   #5
Organiser

ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
V6 bought on 14/01/2017 total cost so far on items/repairs = £1900

1.8 (naughty Bones) bought on 08/04/2017 costs so far on items/repairs = £2235

Bones would have been a heck of a lot more if trikey hadn't stepped in to help, I might add!

When I look at this, I wonder where on earth I managed to get this money from! Although the Visa has helped lol! A lot of the V6 bill was a full front to back stainless exhaust, I might add, so not entirely the car's fault I chose that option!

Dawn,

At least it stops you buying handbags and much more useful...

Tom.
Old 11th August 2018, 13:01   #6
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Think about it this way, if you had bought your "pride & joy" new, these sums would be just the depreciation on an annual basis
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 13:13   #7
victorgte

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I once bought a new Fiat Punto for £8,800. 4 years later and 78k miles I got just £1500 for it.
I spent less in 4 years on my 1.8T and enjoyed a much better car. That's all that matters and I don't buy new cars anymore.
Old 11th August 2018, 13:24   #8
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

I dread to think how much I've spent on mine, but I do like to keep it tip top and, like others on this forum, I've actually become quite attached to it!
It seems to me that to get another car that provides the luxury and 'feel good factor', I'd have to invest at least £10k in a second hand Merc or BMW and probably still inherit large bills.
Mine is a keeper.
Geoff
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 13:27   #9
ROVER2003

Buying the car back in April costing me £650 after selling my stuff to get the car like my 400 quid bike and got 50 quid then selling my Wolsey stationary engine then my MGF and selling other little things then having to spend on repairs 160.99 then on replacing the rear bumper and sills and a rotten hole we didn't realise and jacked the car and the jack going though the floor costing about 250 quid so all together I spent a grand total of 960.99 so far

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11th August 2018, 13:30   #10
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Since buying my Baby back in '06, I have done my best to keep a full and detailed service history of the car, as well as keeping all invoices for any additional items purchased......

What it doesn't include, is money spent on...., car cleaning products,.....

Cliff

Fascinating insight into how much we actually spend. But £1200 a year is less than the loss incurred in driving a new car off the forecourt and only about 4 -5 months ish of a personal finance deal.

So in reality you've got a stunning, glorious car with a solid provenance for very few ££££'s

Unless you add back in the car cleaning products - in which case it's mega £££££££££££££££££££'s .

Thanks for the thread.

Cheers

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 11th August 2018 at 13:34..
AndyN01 is online now   Reply With Quote