Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th November 2018, 19:46   #11
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Think I will order two of them for later. Mine have done nearly 102,000 miles so might need them soon. Although I hope not.
Old 21st November 2018, 06:38   #12
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Its not just cars, a friend who runs a fleet of vans that do a lot of annual mileage will only use genuine parts. He has tried to save a few £'s on parts in the past and he reckons it always costs more in the long run. One of his vans needed a new exhaust silencer so he had a cheaper option fitted than go genuine Ford, within 2 years it needed another where as the original had lasted 5 years so it was off the road for another few hours and the money he saved was more than written off buy the time off the road.

One of his Transits has done nearly 400k miles and is still on its original engine . It will be going soon but everything it has ever used has had a Ford sticker on it. All his vans have oil changes at half the recommended miles. Good going I reckon.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 08:15   #13
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

I don't worry about parts being unobtainable. The biggest threat to my maintaining enthusiasm for these wunnerful cars is that the dozen leading stalwarts of this great club lose interest or are called to the Great Rover in the Sky before me. People like, well, Arctic, MarinaBrian, Trikey, Big Russ, Jules, Stocktake, Mat at DMGRS and so on and so on. I'm sure I wouldn't be half so passionate without the vast knowledge freely shared by club members. I've only actually met one of the above but feel there's a great family out there. Daft really . . .
Old 22nd November 2018, 19:08   #14
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Well, the new lower arm arrived today from Mat (I ordered just the RH one, as the advisory was just for that side). So I decided to take the old one off to see what it was like - the outer ball joint was terrible - really sloppy, like a computer gaming joystick. Makes me wonder what the LH one is like.

Is 10,000 miles the useful life of a 'genuine' Rover lower arm from Rimmers ?

The old drop link joints seemed quite dry and the rubber boots have perished already. so the Unipart ones will go one after a good greasing.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rover lower arms 11.18 001.jpg (123.6 KB, 21 views)
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 19:18   #15
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Well, the new lower arm arrived today from Mat (I ordered just the RH one, as the advisory was just for that side). So I decided to take the old one off to see what it was like - the outer ball joint was terrible - really sloppy, like a computer gaming joystick. Makes me wonder what the LH one is like.

The old drop link joints seemed quite dry and the rubber boots have perished already. so the Unipart ones will go one after a good greasing.

Pete
about the same as some rear shocks i had from them at over a hundred and twenty for the pair.both leaked after 14 thousand miles i have after a some what heated chat with them .i have not bought anything from them much since.as and when my car fails in service i will not doing anything major to other than scrap it.

Last edited by suffolk boy; 23rd November 2018 at 09:05..
suffolk boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 19:50   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post

Pete
How long since fitting Pete? and when was it bought?

Rimmers and by default Xpart offer at least a one year warranty on parts, so it may be worth checking about that

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:48   #17
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Rimmers and by default Xpart offer at least a one year warranty on parts, so it may be worth checking about that

Brian
Just over two years, so I guess they will not entertain a warranty claim.

Any tips for filling the drop links with grease, to make them last a bit longer ? What would you use- normal LM grease or graphite/CV joint/moly grease ?

Cheers

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:09   #18
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

i used moly grease.does help esp when you go to get your new spares still in the bag to discover the rubbers have perished before fitting.replaced the rubbers and they have been fine since.regarding the front arm i got one from xpart around three years ago at around the one twenty mark.and that has gone with around fifteen thousand miles.good luck
Old 23rd November 2018, 14:57   #19
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I will endorse your comment about checking advisories for yourself. I have had some of them on my cars in the past, and when checked, there is nothing wrong with them. And the next year they are ok. Makes you wonder why it is done. Ohh I know why. Been around to long now..
Old 23rd November 2018, 15:15   #20
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Brian
I guess 10k over pot-holed country roads is rather more demanding on suspension parts than 10k on motorways. Surely any of these parts 'should' be good for 50k+ otherwise we would all have a much lower expectation of such parts?
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote