Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th October 2019, 21:06   #1
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts
Default Lower arm ball joint pinch bolt

So many have been replaced during repairs, but has anybody else recognised a serious defect in the new bolt yet ?
REF : RYG101220
This bolt looks right, until you check the shank diameter, it seems to have been machined away just 8mm away from the built in washer.
This means that the threaded zone of the bolt is fine, but the shank area is wrong, insofar as the section that engages into the ball joint stem is the wrong diameter allowing a serious compromise in the shank's operation in the ball joint stem. So yes we can tighten the bolt to 45 NM and hope that all will be ok.
My suggestion is that the joint is more likely to chatter prematurely as time goes by simply because the cut-out in the joint won't be gripped by anything, it will only be the torque of the bolt properly securing the clamp on the hub carrier.
So plenty of folks are changing their lower arm for this reason and getting annoyed by the costs all because of an imaginary proper part securing it all.
This has happened to my car recently after spending the £4.99 for the nut and bolt and lower arm with bush at a cost of whatever folks are happy to spend for the items.
The joint was chattering it bells off, remedy was to order proper bolts, nuts and washers (Not from MGR parts supply) as previously but from a reputed supplier of decent fastenings. I paid for 5 bolts flanged nuts and some packing washers that fit perfectly. During re-build of hub carrier and associated items, I rotated the rather beaten up ball joint by 180` seeing as that area had no damage. All done and dusted and good results so far.
So I dread to think how many arms I have fitted in the past to my cars and other members where the problem was not so much the ball joint, but the use of sub-standard / inferior fastenings.
Kays is the firm who supplied the fastenings.
M10x55 is the bolt spec, with 10.9 High Tensile shanked bolt.
And varied folks will choose their own nut/washer combinations.

This may be of some saving / help to others who have experienced premature joint knocking/chattering issues.
It has worked for my car and will be used on further repairs to others who request it, But please refrain from offering stupid remarks, I can identify a totalled joint from one that has clattered it's nuts off due to inferior fastenings.
Maybe worth checking the parts if you buy in advance and see if the joint has been chattering where the bolt shank should be 10mm not 8mm or so.

This is not an assassination of parts suppliers, but they have got it wrong with these bolts lately. The proof is in the pre-fit measuring.
If ordering up the bolts, remember to allow sufficient length to accommodate the bolt end washer.

Last edited by RogerHeinz57; 12th October 2019 at 21:07.. Reason: .
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 21:12   #2
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
So many have been replaced during repairs, but has anybody else recognised a serious defect in the new bolt yet ?
REF : RYG101220
This bolt looks right, until you check the shank diameter, it seems to have been machined away just 8mm away from the built in washer.
This means that the threaded zone of the bolt is fine, but the shank area is wrong, insofar as the section that engages into the ball joint stem is the wrong diameter allowing a serious compromise in the shank's operation in the ball joint stem. So yes we can tighten the bolt to 45 NM and hope that all will be ok.
My suggestion is that the joint is more likely to chatter prematurely as time goes by simply because the cut-out in the joint won't be gripped by anything, it will only be the torque of the bolt properly securing the clamp on the hub carrier.
So plenty of folks are changing their lower arm for this reason and getting annoyed by the costs all because of an imaginary proper part securing it all.
This has happened to my car recently after spending the £4.99 for the nut and bolt and lower arm with bush at a cost of whatever folks are happy to spend for the items.
The joint was chattering it bells off, remedy was to order proper bolts, nuts and washers (Not from MGR parts supply) as previously but from a reputed supplier of decent fastenings. I paid for 5 bolts flanged nuts and some packing washers that fit perfectly. During re-build of hub carrier and associated items, I rotated the rather beaten up ball joint by 180` seeing as that area had no damage. All done and dusted and good results so far.
So I dread to think how many arms I have fitted in the past to my cars and other members where the problem was not so much the ball joint, but the use of sub-standard / inferior fastenings.
Kays is the firm who supplied the fastenings.
M10x55 is the bolt spec, with 10.9 High Tensile shanked bolt.
And varied folks will choose their own nut/washer combinations.

This may be of some saving / help to others who have experienced premature joint knocking/chattering issues.
It has worked for my car and will be used on further repairs to others who request it, But please refrain from offering stupid remarks, I can identify a totalled joint from one that has clattered it's nuts off due to inferior fastenings.
Maybe worth checking the parts if you buy in advance and see if the joint has been chattering where the bolt shank should be 10mm not 8mm or so.

This is not an assassination of parts suppliers, but they have got it wrong with these bolts lately. The proof is in the pre-fit measuring.
If ordering up the bolts, remember to allow sufficient length to accommodate the bolt end washer.
In the event of anybody wanting to rely on the wrong nut and bolt, I have a kit here waiting for a future, but not on my cars ! If interested, just PM me.
Old 12th October 2019, 21:25   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Did you manage to take some pictures of the problem at all ??
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 21:31   #4
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Did you manage to take some pictures of the problem at all ??
Hi, no I don't take my phone out during repairs as the world and their uncle call me, and it's enough trouble keeping the tools from being pinched by passers by so the phone stays safe.
Old 13th October 2019, 01:07   #5
hortonds
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer Automatic

I have an unidentified clatter and tried changing most things ... just ordered some bolts, many thanks.

Jobs done: Everything you can possibly imagine ... I have the "Triggers Broom" of cars.
hortonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 07:22   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

To be honest I did not realise that the shank ready did much except perhaps preventing the ball joint dropping down. I thought all clamping was done by the rest of the joint. From what you say the shank is too small. Would that also allow the bolt to move/flex within the unthreaded hole?

From who did you get the new bolt from, have you a link direct to the bolt?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 08:02   #7
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

If the jaws of the hub carrier are deformed too wide, and the wrong bolt is fitted, they will loosen off and clatter will begin as the cut out in the ball pin has nothing gripping to it as too narrow. Unsure how much movement would take place, but it will be detrimental to the joint, so for the sake of some time, and a few £, it will be a worthwhile job to complete saving costs in replacing whole arm and rear bush.

eBay item number:163125696418
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

But remember the length is important as you will need to add a washer to the bolt head end.