Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th April 2019, 22:19   #1
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Exclamation Diesel owners must read. Mad, Bad, Bonkers design !!!

Hi ,
Hope this helps in preventing a few heart attacks amongst Members.

The other day I decided to do a little job on my 2005 Ztt Cdti . A couple of replacement vacuum hoses.

We had both been laid up for a while so was looking forward to a leisurely hours tinkering.

Anyway off with the engine cover and pre filter air intake just for better access visibility and sparing my lower back, so I could sit on the engine.

Ok Brake and EGR Vac hoses off , then a forward and back shunt to loose all vacuum and Elephant foot to make the brakes work. ( OCD just wanted the comparison)

Ok right, now back under the open bonnet to connect the new hoses.

Holy Holy Sxxx. !!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. My heart nearly jumped out of my mouth.

Engine oil all over the place .Oil filler cap, f/o/s shock tower, MAF, up the wipers and windscreen, pooling around the nearest injector etc etc.

Anyway after cleaning it up to find where it was coming from on my otherwise bone dry Engine.

I found it coming from the engine cover mount bolt hole . long story short I put just the bolt back (only hand tight) then wrapped in paper towel and elastic bands and gave here a 10 mile high load drive and thank god the paper towel was bone dry when I got back.

Unfortunately for you guys I only then took photos after cleaning the excess oil .so when looking at my pictures anything that is shiny had oil on it, and you can still see a few speckles here and there

I did an emergency google search and found it has happened to others before, who had then put silicone in the bolt hole and or put PTFE plumbing tape on the bolt thread.

Which I don't fancy doing , I don't want silicone or PTFE going around the engine potentially blocking small galleries before it gets to the filter. Ive had that cover off at least yearly from having her from new and no signs of anything.

During my Google search its been suggested that one of the 3 cover bolts is longer than the other 2 and therefore if replaced wrong the longer bolt could pierce what ever is at the bottom of the bolt hole . But my bolts are all the same size.

Whatever is at the bottom of the bolt hole ? thin plastic or a gasket.

This has got to be Mad, Bad, Bonkers, Oversight lack of design.

Has anybody come across this before . its obviously a .50p or £500 fix . so has anyone got a .50p fix so I can remove the bolt and confidently replace my engine cover without worrying and then be able to remove it wirhout dumping silicone or PTFE into the engine.

I hope this has helped because never in a million years would I have thought such a thing could happen.
Might be worth starting your engines and giving it a few revs next time you have the cover off and having a look ?

Thanks Paul
P.S trying to upload my Pictures

I have tried and tried to learn Latin but it seems I just cant manage it unless someone teaches ME . Is Latin still necessary.
I've just managed with a great amount of time and expenditure and difficulty to post some pictures from "our online Account" .But cant add descriptive text . I'm sorry but I must be Mentally deficient unless trained in the art of stupefying over complicated nonsenses
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MG_20190423_18_28_13_Pro.jpg (63.1 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by crazy frog; 27th April 2019 at 05:27.. Reason: trying to add text to pictures
crazy frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019, 22:27   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Its a good design...

It goes bad when previous owners use the wrong bolt to secure the engine cover, this over length bolt then punctures the base of the brass insert causing an opening!
Old 26th April 2019, 22:47   #3
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Its a good design...

It goes bad when previous owners use the wrong bolt to secure the engine cover, this over length bolt then punctures the base of the brass insert causing an opening!
WE have been here before Lets not continue, Please. This is a motoring help forum.

As clearly stated in my post all my bolts are all the same length and have been measured to the millimetre and there has been no previous owners.
just out of curiosity as you are up, what is the bolt size difference of those that you know have different length's. Just in case you are talking of 1000th of an inch.
Old 26th April 2019, 22:54   #4
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Quote:
Its a good design...

P.S how can a Primarily acoustic and cosmetic part that if "potentially fitted wrong" can cause engine oil loss be a good design ?
Old 26th April 2019, 23:07   #5
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Quote:
Its a good design...

Yes I think I and others have realised an opening has been created, thankyou.

Apart from the obvious visible brass thread can you tell me and other members what is has actually punctured with this good design
Old 26th April 2019, 23:08   #6
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Same problem with mine... Just remember to replace the bolt if you are going to leave the cover off and no issue.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019, 23:31   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy frog View Post
This has got to be Mad, Bad, Bonkers, Oversight lack of design.
Nothing to do with the design - as Trikey says your cam cover has been damaged.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019, 23:37   #8
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Same problem with mine... Just remember to replace the bolt if you are going to leave the cover off and no issue.
Thanks Rogue,
yes I intend to keep the bolt in, but what a crazy way of potentially Knackering an engine through oil loss.
I don't Know about you but I've had my car from New and all the 3 bolts are the exact perfect same length. So I can only imagine and guess perhaps its the tightening torque that causes the leak due to a bad weak design.
Who would have thought a cosmetic, acoustic, non critical part could have such possible consequence's.
Thanks Paul
Old 27th April 2019, 00:12   #9
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Nothing to do with the design - as Trikey says your cam cover has been damaged.
Thankyou Mike Nok, I'm sure trikey will be grateful for your support .
However how do you think my cam cover has been damaged?
And more Importantly how do you think I can fix it .

Thankyou
Old 27th April 2019, 00:24   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy frog View Post
P.S how can a Primarily acoustic and cosmetic part that if "potentially fitted wrong" can cause engine oil loss be a good design ?
perhaps if it was not overtightened when fitting it would not cause a problem. IE by turning that extra turn - just to be sure - is what causes the issue?

As I understand it, providing the bolt is refitted oil loss should be minimal or non existent?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote