Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th February 2020, 11:16   #1
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Default classic car status

I am aware that the Rover 75 is not a classic car yet as too many are in daily service albeit smaller numbers, but far too many currently.

however with the Government on about it again!!!!!! BS, BS, BS

Petrol/Diesel to be banned from 2040, is it worth keeping a classic car? with no fuel to run them on?? remember 4 star!!!! after around 6 years no one sold it and yet it was on every forecourt upto around 1996.

The classic car scene could be destroyed in this ban after ban!!! also the after market companies and dealers etc etc most of these scientists could not tell you the right time, let alone predict the future of earth!!
I have always had the thought if the carbon in the earth originally then you cant add whats already there, as its there!! one pint in one pint bottle is that exactly, you cant put in more than whats there kind of thing!

also the PPM is not high enough yet if it will ever get that high, i do have a sneaky feeling its more than what we are being told and climate is the cover story!!! anyway back to the classic car scene will there be one after 2040? its just 20 years soon be here look at the year 2000.
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2020, 11:40   #2
Sdeh
Avid contributor

Manual Rover 75 S Reg, Rover 75 Auto, Rover SD1 2300S,

You can never ban classics or anything combustion for that matter as you can run it on other sources I'm not really that scared for classics but what worries me is future classics that you can still pick up for pennies as there the cars at risk

Sent from my DUA-L22 using Tapatalk

Thomas
Sdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2020, 11:47   #3
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Today the reports are that all new petrol and diesel powered cars will be banned from 2035, including hybrids which is miffing the manufacturers. This so far does not include a ban on fuelled cars usage after that date or the stopping of the sale of fuel. However of course fuel retailers by then could be hard to find as it is expected that EV sales will rise rapidly over the next few years and fuelled vehicle sales could have ended due to demand much earlier, some speculating by 2030.

Would this mean the end of classic cars? Possibly, I posted a while ago that the CEO of Highways England had said by 2035 we would not be driving our classics. Although not a member of government I am sure he will have a pretty good idea what the government wants to see happen.

I think that the classic car industry is quite a big section and that there will be a supply of fuel to keep historic vehicles going. The government today has the rolling MOT exemption rules and free historic vehicle tax for vehicles manufactured over 40 years ago so they do have a record of supporting owners like myself. By then though to me it may not matter as I could be to old to drive safely or no longer here. What may put off the usage of a classic is the possible stigma of polluting the air the population of tomorrow breaths.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2020, 11:47   #4
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

The Government has promised that Classics will be catered for - in other words they will not ban the sale of petrol or diesel, but will any stations stock it? however, whilst it has been announced today that no petrol or diesel cars will be sold after 2035 (previously 2040), given their lifespan, that still means plentiful supplies for a further 10 years, i.e 2045, so we should be safe.

Regarding classic status, there are plenty of Show organisers who now let in 15 year old vehicles, and in some cases 10. Marque shows like Roverfest have no limits, and there are plenty of more modern cars at places like the NEC, although they are mostly exotic.

Do not fear!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2020, 12:51   #5
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Although I will not be around to see the end of petrol and diesel cars/transport, unless I live to be around 110 years, I think it has got very little to do with ‘climate change’ ,more to do with money revenues. Governments and greedy people have to come up with scams to make more money. That’s my take on ‘climate change ‘.
Old 4th February 2020, 13:06   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

The important part is no NEW cars will be sold in the uk after 2040, but may be brought forward to 2035 to meet their carbon emissions target by 2050. By 2050 then, petrol and diesel will.be difficult.to buy. You will then probably need some kind of licence to buy it, as well as when you buy, you will have to also buy a tree for.every litre or similar.

I can envisage by 2035, the cars that we buy would be unaffected by this anyway, and we will have some.form of transformer system at home with batteries being handheld and removable to charge inside (this will be relevant due to accommodation available).

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2020, 13:56   #7
Roderick
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Connoissuer SE

There are of course already some engineers removing fossil fuel engines and fitting electric powered motors. A recent German DW TV program has an article on one doing just that – not cheap though!
Here's the link with video:https://www.dw.com/en/dirk-lehmanns-...rt/av-52192657

Electric of course has to be generated somehow, and it's not all coming from renewable sources (yet).
Old 4th February 2020, 14:01   #8
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Although I will not be around to see the end of petrol and diesel cars/transport, unless I live to be around 110 years, I think it has got very little to do with ‘climate change’ ,more to do with money revenues. Governments and greedy people have to come up with scams to make more money. That’s my take on ‘climate change ‘.
I agree totally!

I do think though, driving any vehicle with a ICE will be a no no. The stigma attached to them will prevent it , you will be come a villain. Probably getting eggs thrown at you, getting your tyres let down etc etc. Lynch mobs lol

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2020, 14:10   #9
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
Today the reports are that all new petrol and diesel powered cars will be banned from 2035, including hybrids which is miffing the manufacturers. This so far does not include a ban on fuelled cars usage after that date or the stopping of the sale of fuel. However of course fuel retailers by then could be hard to find as it is expected that EV sales will rise rapidly over the next few years and fuelled vehicle sales could have ended due to demand much earlier, some speculating by 2030.

Would this mean the end of classic cars? Possibly, I posted a while ago that the CEO of Highways England had said by 2035 we would not be driving our classics. Although not a member of government I am sure he will have a pretty good idea what the government wants to see happen.

I think that the classic car industry is quite a big section and that there will be a supply of fuel to keep historic vehicles going. The government today has the rolling MOT exemption rules and free historic vehicle tax for vehicles manufactured over 40 years ago so they do have a record of supporting owners like myself. By then though to me it may not matter as I could be to old to drive safely or no longer here. What may put off the usage of a classic is the possible stigma of polluting the air the population of tomorrow breaths.
The question is how are we going to power all these new EVs you can't feed them carrots they need electricity, how is this going to be generated, what fuel are we going to use?, Choose from Nuclear, oil, coal, none is ideal and all defeate the original object. Maybe we will have discovered how to achieve fusion at room temperature by then (pigs might fly.....) who can predict.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2020, 15:13   #10
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

It crossed my mind that if so many thousands of charging points, in so many thousands of places, millions of miles of cabling will need to be laid, big enough to service the huge requirements.
Just about every road of any significance is going to have to be dug up to lay the cables.
There's going to be a lorra, lorra traffic queues in a lorra, lorra places, for a lorra, lorra, years I reckon.

Stuff of nightmares.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote