Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th January 2013, 20:48   #1
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5L V6 auto Connoisseur, "Dealer Launch" LHD / MG ZT-T 260 auto

Default I wouldn't believe a BM24 radio module could sound SO MUCH BETTER...!

Hello all,

As a first upgrade to my beloved 75 "Dealer Launch" V6 Connoisseur which I purchased last week (see this thread for thoughts and pics), I decided today to upgrade the OEM radio module from my hiline sat/nav setup to the BMW BM24 module, which as you all know is a standard plug'n'play replacement.

I had read over here that it would bring massive improvement to the sound quality. To my own astonishment, it is just not better, it completely TRANSFORMS the sound quality of this setup.

The original sound quality was a true disappointment. Given the setup, even without the HK option which I don't have, I would have thought the audio quality to be on par with the overall "premium" feel of the car. But this was not the case. Sound quality felt like I had some 39£ iPod dock in the car, not a HiFi setup. Even cranked to the max bass was seriously lacking, trebles were not sharp and the medium range felt totally absent.

The BM24 module finally gives this car the audio quality it deserves. The basses can be heard with no exaggeration, medium and trebles reappear with sharpness and listening to music is now fully enjoyable, as it should have been from the start. Its overall quality is now above that of my daily other set of wheels (Seat Leon FR), whereas it was initially seriously behind.

So to all those out there who have the hiline sat/nav system and are still relying on the OEM audio module in the boot...do yourself a favor and grab a BMW BM24 module as soon as you can. That is, if you want to listen to music obviously
The BM54 is another candidate but you will need to adapt to its sharp pins while the BM24 uses the same round, 17-pin connector.

As a side-note, I now have an OEM Rover Group audio module for sale, for which I will not be asking much as you can guess
scoubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 21:14   #2
Sidetops
I really should get out more.......

Land Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoubix View Post
Hello all,

As a first upgrade to my beloved 75 "Dealer Launch" V6 Connoisseur which I purchased last week (see this thread for thoughts and pics), I decided today to upgrade the OEM radio module from my hiline sat/nav setup to the BMW BM24 module, which as you all know is a standard plug'n'play replacement.

I had read over here that it would bring massive improvement to the sound quality. To my own astonishment, it is just not better, it completely TRANSFORMS the sound quality of this setup.

The original sound quality was a true disappointment. Given the setup, even without the HK option which I don't have, I would have thought the audio quality to be on par with the overall "premium" feel of the car. But this was not the case. Sound quality felt like I had some 39£ iPod dock in the car, not a HiFi setup. Even cranked to the max bass was seriously lacking, trebles were not sharp and the medium range felt totally absent.

The BM24 module finally gives this car the audio quality it deserves. The basses can be heard with no exaggeration, medium and trebles reappear with sharpness and listening to music is now fully enjoyable, as it should have been from the start. Its overall quality is now above that of my daily other set of wheels (Seat Leon FR), whereas it was initially seriously behind.

So to all those out there who have the hiline sat/nav system and are still relying on the OEM audio module in the boot...do yourself a favor and grab a BMW BM24 module as soon as you can. That is, if you want to listen to music obviously
The BM54 is another candidate but you will need to adapt to its sharp pins while the BM24 uses the same round, 17-pin connector.

As a side-note, I now have an OEM Rover Group audio module for sale, for which I will not be asking much as you can guess
Very interesting. Very disappointed with mine also. Please can you explain or send a link towards what it is, and where I should fit it.
Thanks
Sidetops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 21:32   #3
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5L V6 auto Connoisseur, "Dealer Launch" LHD / MG ZT-T 260 auto

Hi Simon,

Sure thing. As you may know the hiline colour GPS/TV system is made of BMW parts (identical to those fitted on the E46 3 series). There are essentially four (five if you include the 6-CD changer in the glovebox) : the screen/control unit in your dashboard (this one has no intelligence whatsoever and is just an interface to the features handled by the other modules), the GPS computer/CD drive (in the right part of your boot space, above the wheel arch), the video/TV tuner module and the radio/amplifier module. Those last 2 modules are under the rug in your boot, in front of your spare wheel, hidden under a black piece of plastic. TV module is on the left, radio module is on the right.

The radio/amplifier does what is name suggests : radio tuning and sound amplifier (though cars fitted with the Harmann Kardon option have their own amplifier). The original module that Rover decided to use is obviously a very low-end one. Its amplifier portion is a shame, sound-quality wise, as already outlined.

The beauty of this system is its modularity : you can pretty much upgrade each part while keeping the others (there are limitations though, but this forum has lots of information on it). The BMW BM24 tuner is a direct replacement for the OEM Rover module : same footprint, same connectivity, just remove the old one and swap the new one in its place. And the improvement is immediately noticeable.

Just try to find any BMW E46 BM24 module. They pop up once in a while on eBay for instance, though they can be relatively expensive. One just needs a little patience to find it at the right price

In doing so you would also benefit from a nice bonus : dual radio tuner (so you would always have a list on your screen of available radio stations, no need to scan through the frequency range).

Last edited by scoubix; 15th January 2013 at 21:37..
Old 15th January 2013, 21:41   #4
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

Totally agree with the above, bought my BM24 bargain last May for £42!!

Old 15th January 2013, 21:54   #5
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattrike View Post

Totally agree with the above, bought my BM24 bargain last May for £42!!

Mine was a bit more expensive than that
About twice as much actually. But it's an expense I felt was a necessity
Old 16th January 2013, 07:24   #6
Sidetops
I really should get out more.......

Land Rover Freelander 2

Hi Nicolas, David
Thanks very much for the advice
Is this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-BM24-T...item19d82fb15d

or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bmw-becker...item2a204ea4bf

Last edited by Sidetops; 16th January 2013 at 07:28..
Sidetops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 08:40   #7
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetops View Post
Hi Nicolas, David
Thanks very much for the advice
Is this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-BM24-T...item19d82fb15d

or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bmw-becker...item2a204ea4bf
I can't see the item on the 2nd link, but the 1st one is spot on
Old 16th January 2013, 11:37   #8
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

I think if you get a BM24 for under £100 you are doing very well, most sell for the price of a full 75 SAT NAV setup.

I've got mine in my retrofitted sat nav setup and it really does make an great difference.

Stubs
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 11:39   #9
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoubix View Post
I can't see the item on the 2nd link, but the 1st one is spot on
The 2nd link is just for the repair where you lose volume down one side, you can usually do a DIY repair to get it back working if your handy with a soldering iron. PLenty of info on the web.

Stubs
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 18:10   #10
kjw123
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Default BM24 Radio Module

I've found one with the following description BMW BM24 Radio module
Part no. 65.12 - 8 385 457 But the others on fleabay have a part No. of 65.12 - 6 907 130

Can anyone tell meif they will both work or not.

Thanks.

My Bonnie Connie from Donny.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kjw123 is offline   Reply With Quote