Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th May 2009, 20:57   #1
mikey_32
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer 02 club se cdt remapped

Default Ask a Stupid question?

And you normally get a stupid answer, lol, I've had my 75 now for over 3 years, and I have to admit it's been the best car I've ever had, mine is an 02plate club se cdt tourer, with 195k miles on the clock, my question is what do I change it for next? I like estates (tourers) it must be diesel as I do over 20k miles a year, heavy enough to tow our caravan.
I've a budget of about £7k all though I'd rather stick to around £6k today I've looked at a Peugoet 407 sw which I have to say is the car of my choice as I love the shape, however when I sat in one today it just didn't hit the spot, it didn't even come close, I know alot of you will all be saying well have another 75 which I'm really tempted to do, although this time it'd be a Mk2 MG tourer but my Dad says you should never have the same car twice as the 2nd is never as good, can anyone tell me if the build quality is as good on the late cars or if things started to slip or any other ideas that maybe you guys have had a 75 and moved onto to pastures new?
Old 29th May 2009, 21:02   #2
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

I don't think the build quality declined, but some people don't like the new front and rear style. Also some kit was deleted, and the wood became plastic, but generally the ones I have seen looked OK to me, and just as well built. The same team built them at Longbridge as built yours.
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 22:00   #3
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

CDT Tourer (SORN) & 2.0 V6 Saloon

My neighbour has an '04 Peugeot 407. Lovely looking car but he has had a lot of issues with it. He has had to replace much of the front suspension due to warn out ball joints etc. All this on a car that's only just reached 30k. What do you think? Friday afternoon end of shift car?

We have also been asking the "Whats Next" question, particularly when on the motorways to Scotland. We intend keeping the 75s going as long as we can, but I suspect they won't go on for ever. It's a question we haven't answered definitely yet.

Just a thought.
EnEnGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 22:08   #4
Demon
Loves to post

BMW E92 325i Coupe & BMW E61 525i Auto Touring (Formerly ZT 190SE, ZT+ CDTi & 75 2.0 V6 Club SE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_32 View Post
my Dad says you should never have the same car twice as the 2nd is never as good
My second Mondeo was miles better than my first Mondeo, and I thoroughly expect my second 75 to be better than my first...
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 22:36   #5
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Hi Mickey. The "whats next" isn't around yet. I had that problem for years. I just wanted a diesel automatic to replace my old grey ZX.. One by one I looked at the Mercs, the BMW's, Peugeots, Vauxhalls, Fords, Citroens, etc and nothing was out there, most were too expensive, some had known serious faults, and they were all pretty bland and samey looking.

I did look at the Rover 75 diesel auto and loved it, sadly they were too expensive, but, most people didn't realise how good the car is, so they came down in price surprisingly fast. and eventually I got one.

Now you, I, and everyone else, are in the same boat, what's next? the honest answer to that, is, there is nothing anything like as good as the Rover 75 around in todays market.

In your case the MG may be appealing, but it does nothing for me. So I will just have to make my car last me for a very long time, and maybe, just maybe, someone will bring out another classic car that people can take to their hearts.. But it may be a long wait.. A very very long wait........

For towing a large caravan, you could try a Citroen XM diesel estate with its self leveling suspension.. But - they are very unreliable, and you can't get a feeler guage in around the engine dep't much less a spanner, they are really awfull to work on..

By now my advice must be pretty obvious, spend some of your money keeping the car you have in top condition, I seriously doubt, you will ever find a nicer car.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 22:40   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Still some excellent low mileage Rover 75 tourers around.
The Diesels have masses of Torque for Towing and are the perfect car for this.
So whats next.....more of the same but newer and lower mileage.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 22:42   #7
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

I intend to keep a Rover for as long as possible, but after that I'll look at either Honda or Skoda I think.
Old 29th May 2009, 22:43   #8
Begiorlegi
Kingdom of Navarre

Rover 75

Stupid answer number 1

You were adopted, and he's not your Dad: Forget his words and buy another R75.

Stupid answer number 2

Your father is your father, but he's a poet and is using a metaphor. What he means is "don't get married twice with the same woman, as the second time is never as good". Forget poetry and buy another R75.

Stupid answer number 3

Now I'm the poet. Your R75 is like an Appaloosa towing your caravan. Beautiful, elegance. Peugeot 407 is like a donkey. Sure it's heavy enough to tow, but donkeys never were stylish. Forget donkeys and buy another R75.

My point of view (or stupid answer number 4)

You are not gonna find a better car with a budget like yours than an R75, simply because the company died. Compare motor and equipment with other options at same price, and you'll have the answer. The logical and smartest answer: buy another R75.

Regards.

P.S. number 1: In the case 1st and 2nd stupid answers are wrong, you're 34 yet... it's up to you!!!

P.S. number 2: If in the meantime you have won lottery, try a Chrysler 300C.
Begiorlegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 23:02   #9
ml.williams
Avid contributor

ZT_T 190

newer 75 tourer--- that was easy

or just keep the current one that you like and dont seem to have problems and drive it till it literally dies
ml.williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 05:08   #10
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_32 View Post
Dad says you should never have the same car twice as the 2nd is never as good, can anyone tell me if the build quality is as good on the late cars or if things started to slip
I am on my 3rd 75 saloon, only sold the first 2 because I wanted another, I've had 2 MKI's and my present facelift. I want a a light blue tourer, and a pearl black saloon, and a V8, but I like my firefrost red facelift so much I do not want to sell it. 135,000 miles (mainly Mway) and has had nothing but pads tyres oil and filters. It needs a new handbrake cable because the previous ower whom I know could not adjust it at the wheels (neither can I) and he adjusted the nut up at the lever so far he stripped the thread. Am hoping the wife will sell her car and have mine, she may as well because I cannot get her out of it.
When I first saw the facelift model I was unsure, but alas I love it, and the 2.0L BMW engine is brilliant. Only a facelift will do now but hey ho, it's a bit like saying I would not have Liz Hurley without makeup.

Thing with the faceift 75 is

How many cars are there in the world that you could have bought a brand new one 5 years ago, and today, you can still buy a brand new one , and it has not changed a bit. So the only thing I could not like about my next saloon is the colour

Last edited by Devilish; 30th May 2009 at 05:11..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote