Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th September 2016, 12:38   #1
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Default Fuel Gauge working in reverse

So, quick brief, fuel gauge suddenly worked in reverse and the car ran dry a couple of weeks ago. Then the fuel gauge was stuck on empty for a week or so. Then appeared to start working again the other day, but after a few miles its clear its working in reverse as in the very first instance of problems.

To be clear, instead of the fuel gauge going down with the fuel being used, its going Up with the fuel being used.

Has anyone come across this and know what the issue is?
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 20:15   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I never heard of this particular problem before. But it does conjure up some comical thoughts.

I'd suggest checking the rheostat resistances to see if the floats are working. Maybe open up the tank ports and taking a look at them.

There's also a HowTo here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=194156

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 20:37   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Be aware that some of us have noticed that the gauge's displayed reading does seem to be an interpreted level - it can rise and fall based on your instantaneous fuel consumption. This doesn't seem to be your problem though.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 09:35   #4
Animesis
Loves to post

As I feared, removal of the backseat! Its such am awkward thing -the left side has real trouble latching back on at the front when its lifted, was hoping I might get a "oh that old problem, do this", but alas its not to be
Shall be venturing under there this weekend .. I do like the idea of a self-filling fuel tank ^^
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates

Last edited by Animesis; 27th September 2016 at 13:17..
Old 27th September 2016, 14:07   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesis View Post
As I feared, removal of the back seat! Its such an awkward thing - the left side has real trouble latching back on at the front when its lifted, was hoping I might get a "oh that old problem, do this", but alas its not to be
Oh that old problem. Maybe do this (see Post 2): http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=175

TC
Old 27th September 2016, 14:08   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
As I feared, removal of the back seat! Its such an awkward thing - the left side has real trouble latching back on at the front when its lifted, was hoping I might get a "oh that old problem, do this", but alas its not to be
Oh that old problem. Maybe do this (see Post 2): http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=175

Maybe the spring clip wires need tweeking?

TC
Old 27th September 2016, 14:46   #7
Animesis
Loves to post

When I got the car it wasnt on, and tried swapping the clips over, the awkward side still wouldnt clip on, it seems to be having trouble with the seat pushing far back enough. With an extra set of hands pushing the seat back with all their body weight I managed to get it clipped on. But after lifting it again this morning its back as it was refusing to go back enough to clip on!
Old 27th September 2016, 16:08   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
- - - after lifting it again this morning its back as it was refusing to go back enough to clip on!
Make the notched pushrod as I described in the link.

TC
Old 27th September 2016, 18:48   #9
Animesis
Loves to post

got that made up from steel, i can hook the rear bits under ok, for some reason the front clip doesnt line up for when pushing it down
Old 27th September 2016, 19:10   #10
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Of topic of the fuel gauge, but does your seat base have a lump at the back, under the seat back?
Just wondering if you have got seats from a tourer fitted, that would make them harder to fit the seat base.
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote