Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd September 2016, 18:07   #191
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

But Tom, the point is I dont think there will be room if you keep the std plastic plenum?
I think you'll need a new one, fabricated from ali, with the throttle body round the back of the engine out of the way.
Allways happy to be proved wrong though.
Neil1, not sure what you're saying about no such thing as mems tooth pattern - i obviously meant siemens tooth pattern, and machining this into an alfa flywheel would be the easiest way to get an alfa v6 to work? No?
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 09:43   #192
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
But Tom, the point is I dont think there will be room if you keep the std plastic plenum?
I think you'll need a new one, fabricated from ali, with the throttle body round the back of the engine out of the way.
Allways happy to be proved wrong though.
Neil1, not sure what you're saying about no such thing as mems tooth pattern - i obviously meant siemens tooth pattern, and machining this into an alfa flywheel would be the easiest way to get an alfa v6 to work? No?
But why would you?

You can have a flywheel lightened by machining and balanced as well.

But as I said I know nothing about the Alfa engines, haven't even looked at one.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 10:13   #193
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
I would be more than happy to have a get together and stick the 3.0l Alfa engine into my ZT haha!

However some news on the cards.
I have (hopefully) just scored a free R75 K6 saloon, it needs work to get it back on the road but obviously im after the engine (which runs) so i now have a spare that i can play around with
Second on top of that, after a few emails back and forward from Drew we've managed to sum up a pretty straight forward way to turbo it.

the compressor maps on my spare TD04-19t look good enough to get us started, so using that mounted around (as Minimutly posted previously) the old air box area along with using a stock CDTi/1.8T rad and intercooler setup would be straight forward enough.

So plans are currently on hold as my clutch is getting sorted next week (i dont have time this weekend) so i'll be looking at mocking this up when it comes to it.
I'll probably use the R75 to mock everything up and then when i have a working setup transfer it over to my ZT-T and go for a remap, we've found two people willing to take on the task of tuning it.
Also gutting the inlet manifold of all its butterflies Vis setup would be required so i'd rather butcher up another inlet manifold then destroy mine.

See how this pans out, would be pretty cool to have a turbo k6.
A 3.0 litre Alfa engine would be fun, I would have to buy a book first to find out about them....lol

That is good news a spare engine to play around with first is ideal.

Not to put a spanner in the works so to speak but the biggest killer with turbo charged engines is Heat and turbos produce plenty of it.

I wouldn't use the stock radiator from a 1.8T/CDTi, I would see about getting a custom radiator made of aluminum, plus keep it shiny to reflect heat, black retains it.
Strange thing to say but it is true.

I would look at repositioning the aircon condenser which is going to be a problem, it's something I have been thinking about doing on my 1.8T.
The issue is where?
However I was thinking about using a different design and fitting it underneath the car which is what my Accord had.

You will need a larger intercooler as the original is designed for a standard engine and not one with increased power plus it won't strangle the engine.

Inlet manifold, can you weld?
Do you have any friends who can?
I would look at fabricating one yourself for your car as you don't want to be using a stock inlet manifold.
Old 24th September 2016, 12:23   #194
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
But why would you?

You can have a flywheel lightened by machining and balanced as well.

But as I said I know nothing about the Alfa engines, haven't even looked at one.
the reason for machining the v6 pattern into the alfa flywheel would be trying to get it to run with the std ecu. Ok, it would also mean an adaptor plate, or some ally welding, but it would make for a better finished conversion, and take a lot less time than messing around with the rover ecus.
Old 26th September 2016, 12:57   #195
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
the reason for machining the v6 pattern into the alfa flywheel would be trying to get it to run with the std ecu. Ok, it would also mean an adaptor plate, or some ally welding, but it would make for a better finished conversion, and take a lot less time than messing around with the rover ecus.
I must admit I wasn't thinking about the ECU unit but yes that would be a good idea.
Old 27th September 2016, 17:21   #196
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

I am in fact toying with fitting a t16 instead of a k18 turbo. It would mean using a v6 gearbox, and adding a cam sensor, but so far I haven't found anything thats a showstopper.
Maybe over the winter, once i finish my trike.