Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th August 2018, 17:47   #21
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool A grand 2 days.......................................

............................................... spent. Saturday saw us at the Shuttleworth Collection for the Flying Proms.

And today I spent the day with Michael on the Epping to Ongar preserved railway.
I put up a more detailed report later.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 07:19   #22
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Homeward bound today with two passengers.

We'll start off on the car park then M4-M5 and A38.
So should you see a grubby Firefrost ZT travelling at Warp Factor 3, where it's legal to do so, don't forget to wave, toot or flash those lovely lights.

I'll post up a full updated report once home. Things have been a touch fraught here.

onen hag oll
Old 21st August 2018, 07:41   #23
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool 900 miles covered...........................................

.................................................. in the 6 days we was away and Redfive never missed a beat. Average mpg was 53.7, I cannot grumble at that.

Saturday saw us going to the Flying Proms but not without incident. I collected Emma and Ann and off we went up the A1 as far as Junction 6 where the traffic was at a standstill. There had been a accident Southbound on the A1 and due to the rubber neckers on our side there had been a second shunt.

So my local knowledge was put to test and off we went, I managed to skirt Welywn Garden City. Through the country lanes and quaint villages. We re-joined at junction 9 and carried on up the A1 towards Old Warden, home of the Shuttleworth Collection. As the Flying proms is a private event the museum is shut to the general public.
And we have to go past the main entrance but enter the grounds about 2 miles up the road at the entrance to the Shuttleworth College.

Once in and parked up it's a tidy old walk to where we wanted to be in front of the stage, but at the back for us if you see what I mean. But there is a golf buggy service, about 8 of them ferrying people about.
We soon found our usual spot and set up camp. Table and chairs and picnic stuff. Once we was happy with that we left everything and went for a wander around the hangers then into the shop before ending up in the cafe for tea n cake.

Then back to our spot, we saw a few of the others from the car club, they were camped further down the front. I was asked about my move to Cornwall a number of times. The music started to play, and the singers came out to do voice checks.
We lit our camping stove to make a hot drink. And settled down to wait for the show to begin. There was some aircraft going up for practice flights. Oh! that sound as we heard the distinctive sound of the Merlin engine. The clipped wings of the Spitfire as she flew across the field, we all felt that chill as she went by.

The show was as per norm spectacular, I'll post up some pictures once I have edited some of the 850 I took. The show starts with a very special glider performing the most fantastic aerobatics complete with smoke canisters on the wing tips. The show ends with the most amazing firework disply. In between we have the music, the singers and a fantastic response from the 5000 spectators.

Once over then we have to trudge back to the cars. Too many people walking stops the buggy's operating safely. I went on ahead with as much as I could carry, Emma stayed with her Mum as they walked back. Once Redfive was packed we followed the line of traffic off of the site. Then it was Warp Factor 3 back down the A1 and onto a very quiet M25 before turning off onto the A10. I was soon back at Michael's.

SUNDAY
Michael and I decided to leave the car at home and get the tube to North Weald and visit the Epping to Ongar preserved steam railway. We travelled on the Northern Line to Bank station where we changed trains and onto the Central Line back towards Epping.
Once out of the station we waited for one of the vintage buses to ferry us to the railway at North Weald. There are plans to extend the line back to Epping at some point.

Our transport was a RT bus, route no.399. Complete with driver and conductor in period uniforms. The fare, including the steam train was £16 each. For that you can travel on the bus or train all day. There is a Greenline bus that travels to Shenfield station to collect passengers who travel via the mainline. So if you want you can have a ride on that.

And another bonus bus service they are running is an open top bus that takes you on a scenic ride around the surrounding area. A well worth it day out. The train journey starts at North Weald then rus up to Chipping Ongar before returning to Coopersale via North Weald. Then back to North Weald.
We got off at Chipping Ongar and found a pub, a few swift pints before getting back on the train.

Once back at North Weald we went into the buffet car for a sausage bap and a cuppa. Whilst we sat and chatted there came that distinctive sound of the Merlin engine. Sure enough there was a Spitfire with it's wheels down on it's final approach to North Weald airfield, once a WW2 operational airfield.

Back on the bus and back to Epping. No hold ups on the tube so back to Michaels in about an hour. And relax with a glass or two of falling down water.

MONDAY
Homeward bound with Emma and Ann coming to stay for a few days. First hold up on the M25 was as we joined at junction 25. Then it cleared till we got up to junction 21 where we noticed a distinct lack of traffic on the opposite side. There had been nasty, and fatal, crash between junctions 20 and 18 on the opposing side. So the road had been shut. The tailback was almost 7 miles. Needless to say we was held up on our side by the rubber neckers.

But once past it was still slow going with most of the trip being under the variable speed limits. But we was soon on the M4 and up to Warp Factor 3 and a bit, in places. But down to 50 through the roadworks. Every service area we approached I asked if we needed to stop but the answer was no.
Onto the M5 and yet again it was controlled by the variable speed limits all the way to the bridge as it crosses the Avon.

After that it was nose to tail down as far as Sedgemoor services, our first and only stopping point. Tea, sarnie and wee was soon done and back onto the beaten track. The M5 was now clear, and onto the A38 for the final part.
We was soon down to Marsh Mills, once here then I know that I'll be home in the next 20 minutes.
Soon across the border and into Cornwall. I drove up Fore Street pointing out the shops. Then the final run to the house.
Kettle on whilst the inspection was carried out. Beds made up, I was in the spare room on my new bed.

Then round to the pub for dinner where we met Allen and Val. Introductions made and food ordered. Pint? Oh! Go on then. Not driving.
Lots of chatter but I was getting really tired. Said our goodbyes. Back to the house and to try out my "New" coffee machine. Emma and her Mum had bought me a house warming present.

So Redfive covered dead on 900 miles. Through rain and over fields but she has get reasonably clean. But she will get a proper clean soon.

Pictures will be posted up soon.

onen hag oll