Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th September 2018, 20:33   #1
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Default Fix it or scrap it?

2004 ZT-T CDTi 160, solar red, 161k

Ok, so that's the car, I want some thoughts on what to do next.

The clutch pedal has gone to the floor. I've changed the master cylinder (which was definitely shot) and bled it through thoroughly until no bubbles come out and the fluid is nice and clear. I've topped it up countless times and keep bleeding it. Immediately after a bleed I get maybe one 'good' pedal press which feels normal, after that, the pressure drops off and the pedal goes back towards the floor and I have to hook it back up with my toe to the normal position.

I left it overnight freshly bled and re-bled it the next evening (tonight). More air bubbles, same outcome. That air has got to have come from somewhere I'm thinking the only logical explanation is a failed seal on the slave. I can see no trace of a leak under the bell-housing.

Changing the slave myself is totally beyond me... trust me, I found changing the master tricky. I'm told that if you change the slave you may as well change the rest of the clutch at the same time.
Given the age and mileage of 161k, is it worth the £600 (?) or more bill to replace the slave & clutch discs. The car also has really bad lacquer peel and needs a £500 respray on the bonnet/front bumper to correct that.

It seems to me that financially it doesn't really add up, yet I still really like the car and it comes down to a heart versus head decision. The car is my daily driver and I need her to be reliable (which by and large she has been until now).

Any thoughts?
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 20:39   #2
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

How long can you wait? Nano meet in 3/4 weeks

For £600 you won't find a brilliant car, you could be buying into someone elses problem, better the devil you know perhaps?
Old 17th September 2018, 20:48   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Scrap it, loads more about
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 20:49   #4
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Nut View Post
How long can you wait? Nano meet in 3/4 weeks

For £600 you won't find a brilliant car, you could be buying into someone elses problem, better the devil you know perhaps?
Yeah, you're right. (I'm guessing at £600 as a minimum by the way... suspect it could be more). The car is my daily driver and while not mint cosmetic condition, mechanically she has been very well looked after. But she won't fulfil the role of a daily driver for ever and I know and at some point the call will have to be made as to when to call it a day. Just wondering if the time has come now or later.
Old 17th September 2018, 20:52   #5
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
Yeah, you're right. (I'm guessing at £600 as a minimum by the way... suspect it could be more). The car is my daily driver and while not mint cosmetic condition, mechanically she has been very well looked after. But she won't fulfil the role of a daily driver for ever and I know and at some point the call will have to be made as to when to call it a day. Just wondering if the time has come now or later.
If I was being completely honest with myself I wouldn't trust my ZT to be my daily reliable driver, so many other cars would fit that role better.
Old 18th September 2018, 07:57   #6
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Nut View Post
If I was being completely honest with myself I wouldn't trust my ZT to be my daily reliable driver, so many other cars would fit that role better.
True... beginning to come around to the viewpoint that now might be the time to move on. If I could find another well looked after ZT I might consider another one, but ultimately I need something reliable to get back and forth to work, ferry kids around etc.
Old 18th September 2018, 08:21   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The problem here is that another purchase (MG/75/another manufacturer) is most likely either going to have issues to sort or it will cost significantly more than £600 if it is a well looked after example. It would be very rare for someone to sell a car with most major things sorted for a low price.

Our cars are now at an age where a lot of them will need significant expenditure.

If your car is reliable otherwise and is not going to need replacement of suspension arms, dampers etc. anytime soon, I would spend the money on the clutch.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 09:25   #8
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Personally I'd scrap it rather than spend 1100 quid. That money would surely buy something better that doesn't need a clutch or a respray. Sell it as seen and put the cash towards a better one.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 09:42   #9
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated... it seems opinion is split, so it's not just me...

On the one hand better the devil you know and fix it to get it back on the road, but then who knows when I might just get other big bills. On the other hand a replacement car is a complete unknown and there could be a hidden bill just around the corner... there's no certainty to any of it... but I guess that's the thing with cars.

Through a neighbour I have been offered a 100k mile Mercedes E Class 2008 diesel when a relative gets their new car. Sounds like it would be within my budget and offer a similar fuel economy to the ZT-T, but I'm concerned about the cost of parts and ongoing running costs... I'd get my regular mechanic to do any major work, but I can't imagine it's going to be as DIY friendly and cheap to run as the Rover.
Old 18th September 2018, 11:13   #10
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

I'd keep it personally and get the clutch fixed, however I'd also consider trying to find a cheaper quote, since £600 to me sounds a little steep.

My dad once spent £3000 on a replacement car, and it turned out there was more wrong with that one than the one he got rid of. It's always a risk when buying a new car, and just because it looks pretty on the outside, doesn't mean it is on the inside.

As you said, better the devil you know.