Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 17:25   #52
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Lol

Great stuff. That made me laugh.

Well, if I do sell it, it'll be worth a punt on eBay! You'd have to hope I got more than this!
Old 18th July 2016, 17:42   #53
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

I kept my old Pentax DSLR. I was offered £60 but I thought I would keep it for my daughter or grandchild if they ever get the urge. Some old camera gear really loses value fast but as you say, eBay worth a go.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 17:57   #54
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
OK, well it's taken a while, and a bit of selling of old toy cars, and my old stereo system, but finally got a fair bit of money into the DSLR fund!

When I first started this topic asking for advice, back in January, I'd quite liked the look of the Canon 700D and commented

A few days later I was doing a comparison on the Which? site, and kept a screenshot to remind myself what I'd looked at. The 700D then was £349

Now we've got the money together, just looked at current prices, and I'm struggling to find one at much less than £450!

Have prices gone up? If so, seems odd as at the time Alan said

Does anyone know where I can get one at the sort of prices they were before? Or of a similar model, with the flippy touchscreen?

Thanks as always!
Check the fine print/specs. The ones I have seen around that price have either bundles or twin lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Jessops much better since the "Dragon" bought it
As a former employee joining when it was on the slide, 2004, to the end, and then being called back, after effectively 2 months off with double pay. I can say YES, it is better. It is still in the business for making money, but there is more input allowed at a local level by the staff and managers. Much like it was when I joined. I do hope it continues, and recaptures at least part of the halcyon days.

Quote:
I wasn't wrong here!

Granted the lens is probably useless now, but I got the quote back for £350 body only...... If I said "guess how much", we'd probably be here all day!

Although the Jessops price is good and with the cashback even better, I think their part-ex division should be called "We Buy Any Camera.com"

The p/x offer for the body is...
£6.99

Quote:

Well, if I do sell it, it'll be worth a punt on eBay! You'd have to hope I got more than this!
Was trying to respond last night, to not bother lol, but in fairness to Jessops, I believe this is an offer created by Canon, and not Jessops. They certainly started it off a couple of weeks after I left. EBay is your best bet for this, and I would expect between £50-£100 for body only. Half way through August and middle to end of November is best times for this. August because people will have got word what colleges they are going to, and November, well Christmas

As for the camera going up in price, I dont know, possibly a currency issue Nikon cameras jumped significantly a few years ago on account of this. As for it being an 'old' camera, I have noticed cameras remaining in production longer (applies more to DSLRs rather than compacts). I predicted this when I started. Back then DSLRs were replaced every 18 months for the lower models, and 2.5 years for the higher models. Now it seems like it was with the film SLR cameras. They would remain on the shelves for 4-5 years before an upgrade.

My advice, with Jessops being actually quite competitive on price, would be to buy one there (for peace of mind). The benefit would be you can get to handle and play with them all, to see how they 'fit' in your hand.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 18th July 2016 at 21:29..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 21:20   #55
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Think we will hang on to the 350D for a little longer Alan. If we do sell, your advice seems good, plus we have an older lens from a standard Canon SLR that we can pair with it. Got to fetch more than £6.99!
Old 11th February 2017, 22:09   #56
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Evening folks

This never happened!

My laptop died and that had to be replaced, so the camera was put on hold. However, since the car has been sold, I have now also sold the alloys and, with some birthday money, have around £400 back in the DSLR fund

I'm looking for either a Canon or a Nikon, and the only real prerequisites are:-

Foldout touchscreen
Lens included
Within my budget
Available from somewhere that is trustworthy!

Regarding the latter, a Google search on for example, the Canon EOS 700D shows it starting at £349 from "Techinthebasket.com" but I've never heard of them. The price has shot up to £499 before I can see it from somewhere I've heard of (John Lewis)

As usual, any ideas will be appreciated!