Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th January 2016, 14:51   #1
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Default Musing over getting a new DSLR!

We board dogs and take a lot of photos, most of them using our Smartphones. To be fair, the quality is good enough for quick snaps and uploading to our website and Facebook page.

We were just casually taking some photos yesterdayof a couple of Golden Retrievers we have had boarding with us for two weeks, using our current DSLR, a Canon EOS350D

Took this one.....

and it made me think about perhaps spending some more time and effort with the photos, and also possibly upgrading. One thing we'd like is a bigger screen on the back than the 350D, ideally one that would flip out and work as a touchscreen. Often we'd like to get some lower level shots without having to grovel on the floor, and the flip screen would be ideal for this, assuming that is, that you can use it to frame shots as well as review them?

Looking at the shot above, and realising I was reflected in the Goldie's eye, has actually inspired me a bit! To be fair, the 350D has served us well, and is a great camera, with a good lens and 8mp resolution. But looking at, for example, the 700D, with 18mp and aforementioned flippy screen, we are surprised that you can get them for under £300! We'd have to sell the current one, but it looks quite feasible that we'd get £100+ for it, so that would help

Anyone got any views on good cameras, good places to buy etc?
Old 11th January 2016, 15:24   #2
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

That Golden looks like mine when he was two years old. Makes me want to hug him.(or her)

I just changed from a 12mp to a 24mp. I moved away from a DSLR and got a mirrorless iterchangeable lens one. I am very pleased with it. The flip screen if fantastic for shots of small kids or even just an unusual angle on a taller subject.

Canon and Nikon both produce great entry level dslr. Also dont rule out mirrorless like Fuji Sony Olympus etc.

As for buying, I found the major retailers are pretty good. (Park cameras, Jessops, Wex, LCE etc) If it is much cheaper than them it is most likely a grey import, You can google that for more info as I have no wish to get into the ins and outs of that subject.

I am sure there must be some retailers with great deals that I did not find and I bet a member will pop up shortly with details.

Of course you could go for a used one. Many of the large retailers have a used section.

Mirrorless v SLR

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 11th January 2016 at 15:43..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 16:26   #3
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Thanks for the reply Paul!

Hadn't considered mirrorless, although I'll probably be boring and stick with SLR (had these in various formats for the last 40 years or so!)

I'll also probably stick with Canon, although again, no good reason for this other than it's a brand I'm familiar with

I'd be happy with second-hand, as long as the condition is good - if it saves money then I'm not going to mind!

(Re the dog. It's a she, and she's about 2 and a half. She's very petite and has a lovely golden coat. She came with her "brother" who is around 5, and he's got the much whiter coat, and is pretty huge! Both of them lovely dogs and got on really well with our two Labradoodles and every other dog we met!)
Old 11th January 2016, 16:56   #4
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Canon is a great choice. I would certainly get a flippy screen. I have only had mine since christmas but I am already finding more angles to shoot things from. I rekon it would be great for dogs.

Edit: Here are 3 pics taken with the aid of the flippy screen. I would not have taken these with my old non flippy camera. Even got one of a dog!!

DSC00290
by Paul, on Flickr

DSC00277
by Paul, on Flickr

DSC00312
by Paul , on Flickr

Last edited by Rocket; 11th January 2016 at 17:21..
Old 11th January 2016, 17:22   #5
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

This is just what I looking for - getting down low without

a) Getting muddy
b) Twisting something
c) Being unable to get back up again!

Loving the shots Paul

Your Goldie looks a lot like the other one I mentioned above. Here's a shot of them both together

Old 11th January 2016, 17:29   #6
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

I would swear you have stolen hector. He looks identical.

Old 11th January 2016, 17:30   #7
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Just as a thought, some of the wifi enabled DSlr's allow you to 'tether' your smart phone or tablet and allow wireless shooting and composition that way as well
Old 11th January 2016, 17:42   #8
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I would swear you have stolen hector. He looks identical.
LOL! This big boy is Wilson. Whilst he was with us, we twice bumped into a lady on our walk (which is a green lane, dogs always off lead) with a Wilson double called Jasper. When they all started milling around together, the only way we could tell them apart was because Wilson had a harness on, whilst Jasper didn't (the other one is called Poppy btw)
Old 11th January 2016, 17:44   #9
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Just as a thought, some of the wifi enabled DSlr's allow you to 'tether' your smart phone or tablet and allow wireless shooting and composition that way as well
Wifi is tempting Jeff! Was looking at some with this earlier, but the two things that put me off are the higher prices, plus my PC is getting a bit slow and cranky, so cable connections are probably a better bet!
Old 11th January 2016, 17:54   #10
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Hector is a whopper also. Biggest dog I have had.

My new camera has wifi also, so I can link to phone or internet. I think I will use the phone link when the camera is set up on a tripod for my bird shots. The flippy screen is great for the casual walking around shooting when you just want to get higher or lower.

That said, people shoot using different styles and methods.