Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th November 2019, 16:29   #11
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Motives are often disguised and invariably masked by 'marketing strategies'.

It's not now that we need to look at but 5/10 years ahead (when memories have dimmed). Service charges and supply costs can be automatically increased remotely by wi-fi and non-payers can be disconnected instantly through a 'Smart' meter- not very smart at all. Great name though!

Does it signify a change in the ability to switch providers? Will the installation of domestic electric chargers for cars have any bearing on reliability of supply? If you can't pay massive increases or 'sustainable fuel choices' can you also be de-mobilised?

There is intense pressure from government on suppliers to hugely increase installations because of various contractual obligations carrying huge financial penalties if targets are not met. And we all know who pays.

In my view, and it is only mine so far as I can tell, having spent 25 years in the financial services industry, the same level of compliance with legal formalities together with expert technical knowledge should be a legal requirement imposed on all suppliers and installers and agents as were necessary on any body involved in financial sales/administration or provision of services.

They should, all of them, be trained and experienced and liable for recall if found to be giving unreliable or questionable advice to any other person or organisation. For many people their power bills will be greater than their rent or food bills. To leave that to foreign power generators is dereliction of duty.
Old 7th November 2019, 19:25   #12
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

The smart meter rollout has cost us £9billion yet saves each consumer £11 a year according to moneysavingexpert.com. Hallelujah.
Old 8th November 2019, 07:07   #13
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

We had a one of these meters fitted several months ago that is compatible with other companies should we decide to change suppliers, the gas side of it has never worked giving readings.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2019, 07:37   #14
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I'm so tight-fisted that no meter, nor person, could help me save electric or gas. I am aware that newer appliances are more economical when it comes to energy consumption, but being on my own I decry the use of dishwashers, don't have to use a washing machine too often, and don't tumble dry.

If someone tells me that I have to have a "smart" meter installed, it will only be for their benefit, not mine.

Companies are under instruction and financial bribe to install these by the Government, so that at the end of the day, someone can tick a box.

Security wise it's a bad thing, as someone somewhere outside of the household, will be able to understand when there is nobody in that dwelling.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2019, 07:53   #15
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

My power supplier, I won't name them to save them embarrassment failed to turn up 5 times to fit a Smartmeter. 40 hours or more of my life wasted waiting in for them to no-show.

The only thing I got was, on two occasions, a spotty youth covered in tattoos, in a beat up white van, ( no signage, just rust), turning up unannounced telling me he was here to fit a new gas meter.

Oh no, I wasn't having that, I sent him on his way.

If that's how fitting Smartmeters works, I ain't interested.

Oh, OK then, it was npower.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2019, 11:26   #16
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

As mentioned earlier the whole thing is based on a fallacy. The USP is that it produces a reduction in cost to the domestic user and helps the environment lobby of Jeremiahs to achieve its aims. Well, that is rubbish.

No meter ever reduced cost as a result of installation. What it does is give a measure of current being used at that particular moment and how that compares to normal average use.

80% of meters in the average housing stock are situated at the back and on the floor of a dark cupboard under the stairs, so you need a torch and a cushion on which to rest your arthritic knees to get a fleeting glimpse of a tiny screen. That screen isn't pointing up at you - it's still below your eyeline- so you need a yoga contortion and now your back is aching.

You then have to write the number down while in a vulnerable foetal position because your memory is not quite as good as it was when you were 25 and you'll forget it by the time you stand up, then get to the hall table where you left the pen and pad.

Then you have to interpret the reading and decide if turning a light off, or foregoing putting the kettle on for a coffee, or watching TV for an hour less will bring your annual consumption down to manageable levels.

Is it likely to convince you that your massively detrimental and tiny effect on the environment is going to help to ward off eternal destruction?

Er, no.
Old 8th November 2019, 13:34   #17
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

I wonder how many M.P.s bought shares in the company who make these meters, before they decided everyone should have one.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote