Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th February 2015, 11:06   #21
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I'm glad to say all politicians are not the same. The recent TV programmes about the workings of parliament threw up some wonderful insights of what it's like at Westminster.

Of course some wallies confirmed the generally held public opinions of them and some were obviously dangerous. But the programme also showed some dedicated and honourable MP's who were doing exactly what the most exacting constituent would expect them to do. One in particular was Sarah Champion - a very hard working MP who had the resilience to keep on fighting her corner.

It emerged that there are many MP's who are worth defending but the biggest enemy of the State is The System. It is loaded against the common good to the benefit of what used to be called Spanish Practices and traditional for-the-sake-of-it obstacles that ensure only the privileged few are heard.

There is much uninformed opinion on politicians and these kind of programmes serve a very useful purpose. The thought of JC as PM only makes me rush for the latest property prices in Italy/Spain/France/anywhere, but I'd take the TV listings with me so I didn't miss TG.
Old 28th February 2015, 11:24   #22
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

if we had proportional representation instead of first past the post the government would reflect nation more accurately and who knows even JC might get elected, but he probably find it too much li'ke hard work lol
Woof25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 13:34   #23
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof25 View Post
..... and who knows even JC might get elected, but he probably find it too much li'ke hard work lol

How would he know it if it bit him?
Old 28th February 2015, 13:47   #24
milleplod
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Saloon

The more that 'politics' gets filled up with professional politicians, the more out of touch they become, whilst at the same time becoming less representative of their electorate. Its evidenced all the time.

Pete
Old 28th February 2015, 13:56   #25
milleplod
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
Ken.

Edited to blank, to keep milleplod happy
I'm happy anyway....but thanks all the same!

Pete
Old 28th February 2015, 20:52   #26
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleplod View Post
They're not all out of touch, but the more that 'politics' gets filled up with professional politicians, the more out of touch they become, whilst at the same time becoming less representative of their electorate. Its evidenced all the time.

Pete

It's a point frequently made. I often wonder though why in virtually every other walk of life the 'professional' is without question the preferred option. Especially in the professions.

If a professional approach to a particularly tricky problem is needed in, say, the law or medicine, architecture or landscaping, food production or, er, police (!), most of us would insist that the one to do the job properly would be time-served, adequately educated and equipped to do the job with sufficient experience and back-up in the trade to see it through. Yet when professional politicians appear the opposite is recommended- "Oh no! He's no good, that's all he's ever done in his life!"

They have all (I think) earned degrees, moved in influential circles and usually come from non-criminal backgrounds with a clean sheet.

Can't help thinking people confuse government with real life when of course it very much isn't. One who knows about politics and how to be diplomatic and has top management skills seems to be what's wanted.

How to use the system to the best advantage of his constituents and to get around the corridors of obstruction endemic in parliament seem to be the skills most needed.

Now, I think the qualities in short supply are honesty, integrity, honour. Not necessarily obtained entirely on the shop floor, the city bank or the solicitor's office. The problem is training, or rather the lack of it.
Old 1st March 2015, 14:31   #27
milleplod
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Saloon

The thing is, politicians are supposed to be representatives of the electorate, not representatives of the system under which they operate. Your average tradesman (and I include surgeons, dentists, builders....and policemen!....in that) is only representative of his own trade.

In that sense, politicians do need to be in touch. Can a straight-from-uni-to-politics type really understand the bloke working 80 hours a week to keep his small business going.....or the 50-odd year old long-term unmployed bloke....or the school leaver desperate to find work etc etc?

Perhaps ministers should be the professional politicians, but I do think the rank and file need to have some sort of genuine connection with the area they represent.

Pete
Old 1st March 2015, 15:00   #28
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Take your point, true in every case. However, as MP's are elected locally by local people I would have thought that they were judged by their peers!

Many have been doctors, solicitors, councillors (especially) and trade union reps. That has been the strength of the Labour Party until the chicanery started (always been there actually but never mind) so 'real world' experience has not exactly been in short supply! It must be surely that those that represent deprived areas know full well what's it's like in the 'real world'.

Just as MP's from Kensington & Chelsea or Richmond upon Thames or Whitney (Oxon) do. The 'real world' is all things to all men but 650 MP's are forced to toe party lines. No amount of mining coal, driving a bus or repairing the road is going to help an MP to be a better one.