Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th September 2019, 11:17   #11
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Nearly 3 years ago 2 members were after this car. Me and a now banned member. He won but then failed to pay. I got Dave's other car the Royal Blue V6 Contemporary which has recently gone to the great scrap yard in the sky. Lovely car but suffered recently with engine problems. Genuine duotone or not, I was keen to make it LPG and keep it. Looks like I dodged a bullet?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by victorgte; 30th September 2019 at 14:38..
victorgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 07:40   #12
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Well, I've found the photo (...which I can't seem to load ) and it is the same car, pictured for sale on the 'Approved Used' display at the Longbridge factory, around mid April 2003

At this time, it would have been just under 6 months old.

If MacNeillie were the factory authorized bodyshop that was used by Rover to duo-tone any new vehicle orders prior to registration, then although the car may have had the Chagall paint applied away from the actual Longbridge building, I think we can safely class this as a factory duo-tone (irrespective of the chassis plate colour code).

Otherwise Brian, we're effectively saying that no 'factory' duo-tones were ever made !

It's highly likely that the plate refers to the original colour the bodyshell was painted (Starlight Silver) and it was later decided, after the build had gone 'fixed' (i.e. spec cannot normally be changed) that someone in the factory decided to use that particular shell for the Chagall two-toning.
Old 1st October 2019, 10:09   #13
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
Well, I've found the photo (...which I can't seem to load ) and it is the same car, pictured for sale on the 'Approved Used' display at the Longbridge factory, around mid April 2003

At this time, it would have been just under 6 months old.

If MacNeillie were the factory authorized bodyshop that was used by Rover to duo-tone any new vehicle orders prior to registration, then although the car may have had the Chagall paint applied away from the actual Longbridge building, I think we can safely class this as a factory duo-tone (irrespective of the chassis plate colour code).

Otherwise Brian, we're effectively saying that no 'factory' duo-tones were ever made !

It's highly likely that the plate refers to the original colour the bodyshell was painted (Starlight Silver) and it was later decided, after the build had gone 'fixed' (i.e. spec cannot normally be changed) that someone in the factory decided to use that particular shell for the Chagall two-toning.
Here is the picture.

Also, factory Duo tones had a vin plate with a single paint paint code.

The Duo tone I at one time owned had the single paint code JFM Royal Blue.

The factory produced Duo tones were completed on the production in the upper body colour and then taken to a sub contractor to have the lower body colour added.

The Monogram paint finish was completed at Longbridge.

Here is the entrance to the Monogram paint shop.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 10:14   #14
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Thanks for that Dave....but how did you get hold of my photo ?
Old 1st October 2019, 12:23   #15
oxfordblue75
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon 1.8T

Yep I remember that one when we saw ur tourer on the line ��
oxfordblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 12:32   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Ok so I was misinformed by my Longbridge source then, what is in no doubt though, this particular car should be viewed with caution, and the MOT it carries is not worth a jot.

Several dangerous things, not to mention the underseal plastered over the brown bits.

It is being sold by a trader, not a private sale, but a trader dressing up in a private sellers hat.

Caveat Emptor has never been so relevant when it comes to this particular vehicle

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 13:11   #17
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Default Duotone

Afternoon,
Could someone tell me how the duotone paint scheme works? By that I mean if you have a blue and silver duotone where the blue colour is on the upper half of the car and silver on the lower half what colour would you find in the door openings, under the bonnet and in the boot?
On the car in question the door openings are blue which suggests that the car was originally blue and the lower half of the car was painted silver afterwards?
Regards David
DRWMGTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 17:12   #18
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
Thanks for that Dave....but how did you get hold of my photo ?
I think you have put the picture on the Club site before and I grabbed the image as I collect pictures of Duotone 75's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRWMGTF View Post
Afternoon,
Could someone tell me how the duotone paint scheme works? By that I mean if you have a blue and silver duotone where the blue colour is on the upper half of the car and silver on the lower half what colour would you find in the door openings, under the bonnet and in the boot?
On the car in question the door openings are blue which suggests that the car was originally blue and the lower half of the car was painted silver afterwards?
Regards David
The Duotone I owned was painted and finished in Royal Blue. The lower half was painted Starlight Silver by a contractor.

The contractor did a good job as all the chrome waist trim, the petrol flap, door handles and the boot chrome trim was all removed before the lower colour was added.

Here is a picture of my Duotone with the door removed for power folding mirrors to be fitted.

As you can see the door shuts were not painted the lower body colour.

The Duotone 75's were offered under the Monogram scheme.

The total cost of the Duotone finish was £750, a bargain! as this included the £450 for Metallic / Pearlescent paint, so, cost of Duotone was £300. Even at such a low cost only about 10 facelift Duotones were factory made.

The Duotone scheme was not well advertised and my local dealership did not know they were available and I had to insist they contact MG Rover to order mine.

I ordered mine in April 2004 after seeing that Duotone's were available to order on the MG Rover web site and it was delivered in July 2004.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 17:41   #19
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Hello Dave,
Thanks for that information.
I take it you have two Duotones. What colour(s) was/were your original Duotone?
I have a Starlight Silver 75 and I was thinking about having the lower half painted Royal Blue. Are you aware of any other 75s painted that way?
Regards David
DRWMGTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 17:51   #20
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRWMGTF View Post
Hello Dave,
Thanks for that information.
I take it you have two Duotones. What colour(s) was/were your original Duotone?
I have a Starlight Silver 75 and I was thinking about having the lower half painted Royal Blue. Are you aware of any other 75s painted that way?
Regards David
Factory
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote