Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th December 2020, 15:12   #51
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Well I would think that you could reduce the number eligible by a large number due to age, i.e. too young, then those who would not want it by virtue of fear or stubbornness, then those who can't get to it, then the number that remain will take about, er,, 2 years.

One should bear in mind that after one year those that have received it will then be due their annual shot.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2020, 16:49   #52
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
I just hope that most will be sensible enough to realise that the announcement is not a sign to simply go back to doing what they would normally do.

I do fear possible side effects (or other unknown issues) though , normally a vaccine like this takes a decade to develop and yet they have produced these in a year.

Edit - I will be down the list. I fear side-effects generally for those who receive it.
Dont worry. Some of us old fahrts will trial it before you young whippersnaper’s get it. There have already been a few back steps, but, as the saying goes, nothing ventured nothing gained. I so far know around 8 people who have had the virus, two of my best friends have it at the moment, and luckily they are all still with us.All these people are in their 70s. As I am an octogenarian, I suppose I will be amongst the first to get the jab, so I will let you know how it goes, or not as the case may be.
Old 12th December 2020, 16:59   #53
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Lockdowns should work in theory and news reports suggest that they do help in the main but, they are defeated in part because not everyone adheres to them. I know this from casual observation in my own neighbourhood as some households have continued to meet and gather with others regardless. And I have never seen such frantic activity from builders and all sorts of trades in the neighbourhood since the pandemic began. No social distancing or masks whatsoever from these workers as I've seen.

On a better note, if the lockdowns are effective in constraining the virus at least to some degree then would they also not do the same with the usual winter flu bugs thereby easing to some degree the expected annual strain on the NHS? Serendipity springs to my mind with this but it never gets a mention in the news.
I agree with your assumption about ‘visiting’. That is exactly how my two friends caught it, .................from their son and wife and two children visiting.
Old 15th December 2020, 13:10   #54
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Question

Quote:
Interestingly the letter states that the test may only show a current infection and that it does not show a past infection.
Re the above mentioned quote from post 60, is this the case with all tests? Anyone been tested and knows what their test confirmed regards this point? I'm not sure that a test which ignores a past infection provides the best means of achieving the stated aim of the study.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2020, 16:33   #55
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Was watching breakfast TV this morning and the overall impression from those public being interviewed is that with a vaccine things will be back to normal next year.

But, reading a report from the ONS (Office of National Statistics) they estimate that only half the population will be vaccinated by the end of 2021, so normality is still a very long way off.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2020, 16:38   #56
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post

One should bear in mind that after one year those that have received it will then be due their annual shot.

Immunity is still uncertain. Some say may only last 3 months . . . for some unfortunates. (Probably me).
Old 17th December 2020, 18:59   #57
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Quote:
Out of the blue a letter came today inviting me to take part in a study by Imperial College London and Ipsos MORI. The study is being conducted on behalf of the Department of Health and Social Care and apparently I have been chosen at random. The aim of the study is to help monitor levels of Covid-19 and it involves the submission of a test for the virus and completion of an online survey. A DIY test kit will be sent to participants to test themselves in their own home and participants will be informed of the result of their own test. Interestingly the letter states that the test may only show a current infection and that it does not show a past infection. I'm not aware that I have ever been infected by the virus and it would seem that I won't find out with the test being offered unless any infection is current at the time of testing, which should be early January 2021 when the test kits are due to be sent out. Anyone else received one of these invitations?
Last month I got an invite to take part in a study and was sent a kit to test for antibodies - in other words, to see if I'd had Covid-19 at some point previously - and enter the results on the survey webpage. I had to use a needle to draw blood, drop it onto a testing device and add a solution to it. If blue bars appeared then I had antibodies, but as they didn't then I assume I haven't had Covid. Long may it remain that way.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2020, 19:54   #58
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I signed up to the Oxford University study on Covid-19. The medical staff come to me and do a doorstop test. They ask a series of questions like do you think you have had the virus or have you any of the symptoms.

They started off coming once a week for 5 weeks, then it drops to a monthly visit. They generally give me at least 24hours warning. If you do not want to continue then that’s fine. Well, I have had my 5 weekly visits and now I’m on my monthly visits. The medical staff DO NOT ENTER YOUR PREMISES, it’s all done on the door stop.
Swab to the back of the mouth, which is a tad unpleasant, then the same swab is pushed up each nostril. It is then transferred to a phial with a screw cap.

I have had 6 negative results so far. And the icing on the cake is I get paid for it. £25 voucher is emailed through to me and I can spend it where I like. There is a drop down menu to choose which shop I wish to spend the voucher with.

As, and when, the vaccine is available I will be having it.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2020, 20:32   #59
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Immunity is still uncertain. Some say may only last 3 months . . . for some unfortunates. (Probably me).
I still have a strong antibody presence over 6 months after having C-19 with no sign of it diminishing...

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2020, 21:58   #60
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Was watching breakfast TV this morning and the overall impression from those public being interviewed is that with a vaccine things will be back to normal next year.

But, reading a report from the ONS (Office of National Statistics) they estimate that only half the population will be vaccinated by the end of 2021, so normality is still a very long way off.
In my opinion it won't even reach 50% by the end of the year. We'll be lucky if by the end of 2022 things will be somewhere near normal.

Over the last few months I've been saying the same thing in a variety of threads.

The figures speak for themselves. The government seems to be trying to appease the population to avoid too much dissent.

However a bit of common sense will tell you a different story.

Time, of course, will tell.

Masks are a poor defence.--The only thing that will slow down the spread of the virus is keeping a sensible distance between yourself and other folk.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote