Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Traders Shops & Members Spares For-Sale > MG Rover Custom Car Parts (Rick-Sta's) Shop
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th May 2018, 16:39   #101
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Question A new job for you?

Hello Rick,

As you can see below my IP may need to be delineated.

Here it is:

Do you think you may do it far better and lasting as long as possible?

I've admired the amazing job you've done and yet recently posted.
I'm fed up with those beasty missing lines. It's yet nearly readable but when using the Low-Line GPS it becomes boring.

Could you do the job within the following weeks? How long shall I be deprived of the IP?
As I'm living in France I would like to know how much would you charge for the return shipping apart your £25 fees.

Just in case, I've bought a new amber KMH no trip IP from Rimmer (a clearance bargain) to fit while waiting the return of the genuine one.
What will appear on that 2003 IP?
Zero KM?
But I hope all the dials but the trip will be effective, am I wrong?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

Arnaud
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2018, 20:46   #102
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordblue75 View Post
Hi,
Is it possible to get my ipk delined at the national on Sunday ?
Kind regards
Matt
Hi Matt,

no sorry can't deline any IPKs at the national meet.

Quote:
Hello Rick,

As you can see below my IP may need to be delineated.

Here it is:

Do you think you may do it far better and lasting as long as possible?

I've admired the amazing job you've done and yet recently posted.
I'm fed up with those beasty missing lines. It's yet nearly readable but when using the Low-Line GPS it becomes boring.

Could you do the job within the following weeks? How long shall I be deprived of the IP?
As I'm living in France I would like to know how much would you charge for the return shipping apart your £25 fees.

Just in case, I've bought a new amber KMH no trip IP from Rimmer (a clearance bargain) to fit while waiting the return of the genuine one.
What will appear on that 2003 IP?
Zero KM?
But I hope all the dials but the trip will be effective, am I wrong?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

Arnaud
Hi Arnaud,

Hard to tell in that photo, but it looks like you have a lot of lines and with that many lines a deline may not last, so I think the better option for you would be a new IPK screen. They are £120 fitted. I order them in once they've been paid for to reserve one, and they take around 2 weeks to arrive.

Shipping to France is £20 with parcelforce Euro priority which usually takes 2-3 days.

The new cluster you have bought will show 0 miles when plugged in and "ERR" on the trip computer, but the speedo and rev counter will work fine.

Cheers,
Rick
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2018, 21:12   #103
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Smile

Hello Rick,

Ouch! It's not the same price! What a blast in the stomach!
Nearly 5 times more expensive...
I don't want at all to look greedy but the latter does look on the steep side.

However I don't understand: you've showed in that thread lots of IPK you've brilliantly delineated and TBH some of them were in worse condition than mine and so nice afterwards.
Why so many customers and so many work hours of yours finally to be done again once more?

BTW How many months/years do you think your delineated IPK could last?
I don't ask for a commitment, just a guesstimate to have a better feeling.

Otherwise I bet my IP was new when he was fitted 19 years ago.
The new IPK screen you're selling will it be as fragile as the previous one?
Because it looks as a serious defect.
I've got digital devices displays older than my 1999 IPK that are still in very good order at the moment.

Sorry to ask you so many questions, but your offer need a serious brainstorming. Before making the best choice, I need some strong clues.

Thank you for your time & patience.

Regards.

Arnaud
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Old 5th May 2018, 21:22   #104
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

A deline is 'random...
It can last a day or it can last 2 years (the longest I ever had one last) make no mistake it is not a permanent fix and shouldn't be thought of as that. it is a new chance of life for a failing part the only way to have any confidence of years of service is to go for a new screen the new screen is relatively cheap most of the price the screen itself. if you want you can go for a whole new ipk from rimers and have it installed but it will cost you much much more
Old 6th May 2018, 06:55   #105
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
... the only way to have any confidence of years of service is to go for a new screen the new screen is relatively cheap most of the price the screen itself. if you want you can go for a whole new ipk from rimers and have it installed but it will cost you much much more
£120 relatively cheap? Really?
Even Rick's very good service is included, added to the shipping price, it looks rather expensive IMHO, particularly when you see from abroad the prices of a whole 75 in the mainland.
I've already bought from Rimmer a temporary IPK (clearance bargain - £25 for an amber, KMH but no trip), £45 with VAT & shipping, to wait for the corrected one.
The main point is to correctly evaluate the price of the prejudice...
It's becoming princely...
Old 6th May 2018, 08:50   #106
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester2 View Post
£120 relatively cheap? Really?
Even Rick's very good service is included, added to the shipping price, it looks rather expensive IMHO, particularly when you see from abroad the prices of a whole 75 in the mainland.
I've already bought from Rimmer a temporary IPK (clearance bargain - £25 for an amber, KMH but no trip), £45 with VAT & shipping, to wait for the corrected one.
The main point is to correctly evaluate the price of the prejudice...
It's becoming princely...
Yes ..really..
When I first found a source for these screens they were 165 before del and import tax. . The fact that rick has found a source and can supply them fitted for 120 is nothing short of a minor miracle...

You need to be less sceptical... 120 is nothing to bring a car up to snuff ... many folks spend 5x that on a damn radio...
Old 6th May 2018, 16:10   #107
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Cool

Thank you @klarzy. I'm pretty sure you are right, but nevertheless adding all the costs together it's going up & up (shipping prices for overseas members don't help!), and I'm already hearing the missus grumbling something like 'always wasting money for nothing in your cars'...

I'm not sceptical at all: I agree that those NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- missing lines are looking awful but I'm just worried to spend so much for so less...

Mind you that it's not the first job I'm doing to bring back my wee bonny 75 to her first splendour. I've already spent approx. £1,700 for far bigger injuries...
Old 7th May 2018, 10:16   #108
hrissim
Gets stuck in

75 MK1 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Thank you @klarzy. I'm pretty sure you are right, but nevertheless adding all the costs together it's going up & up (shipping prices for overseas members don't help!), and I'm already hearing the missus grumbling something like 'always wasting money for nothing in your cars'...

I'm not sceptical at all: I agree that those NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- missing lines are looking awful but I'm just worried to spend so much for so less...

Mind you that it's not the first job I'm doing to bring back my wee bonny 75 to her first splendour. I've already spent approx. £1,700 for far bigger injuries...
So - reading the info from the IPK isn`t crucial, is it?
My experience since now:
I sent my whole unit to Rick in the UK for:
1. IPK screen delining and
2. for customizing the dials.
The customizing result is stunning - so no regret.
Unfortunately mine IPK screen was from those that can not be repaired. I`m still able to read the IPK - a bit difficult but readable.
He proposes me either the new one or second hand. I deviated both options.
I surcharged for the halos. Can`t wait to fit them
There is no warranty for the IPK screens - I`m shure that this is not because of Rick but with his provider/supplier and by obvious reasons

Rick is an honest and reliable person - no doubt.

Quote:
...I've already spent approx. £1,700 for far bigger injuries...
I`m above £2,500 since /with the extras/ so don`t worry so much
Kief has no price.

Last edited by hrissim; 7th May 2018 at 10:37..
hrissim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 11:36   #109
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Question

Thank you @hrissim for your enlightening explanations !

I'm 200 % sure that Rick is skilful and efficient. Not the slightest doubt about that.

But spending £65 without any guarantee isn't a valuable option.
And £160 for a new screen looks expensive & would make too big a dent in my present kitty.

But I don't give up. Nevertheless Rick didn't propose a decent second hand IPK.
What kind of price did he offer for that ?
Thank you.
Old 8th May 2018, 11:32   #110
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Thank you @hrissim for your enlightening explanations !

I'm 200 % sure that Rick is skilful and efficient. Not the slightest doubt about that.

But spending £65 without any guarantee isn't a valuable option.
And £160 for a new screen looks expensive & would make too big a dent in my present kitty.

But I don't give up. Nevertheless Rick didn't propose a decent second hand IPK.
What kind of price did he offer for that ?
Thank you.
You asked for the option that would last as long as possible. A new screen is the option that will outlast a deline.

The deline repairs are a bit of a gamble, generally if a screen has up to 10 lines it can be repaired to last a long time, however any more than that and then it's a bit of a hit or miss if the repair will last. I've even had badly lined ones where none of the lines would repair at all, I've also had in a couple cases screens with only about 8-12 lines which wouldn't repair.

Generally from doing them over the last year and 4 months I've found that the success rate is around 7 in 10, where some did see lines return after some time but the rest as far as I know have stayed clear so far.

So yes I have delined ones which looked similar to yours in the past, but that doesn't guarantee that I'd be able to deline yours successfully or if the deline would last on yours. It's impossible to tell just from a photo.

You've asked what the best option would be which would last the longest, well my recommendation is due to the number of lines on your screen is to go for a new screen as that's a much safer option for long term results rather than a deline, especially when you're sending an instrument cluster for repair from abroad, as it saves you sending it twice if the deline doesn't last.

My own screen was delined early last year and has lasted fine so far, but mine had less lines than yours.

I very rarely have any second hand screens in, at the moment I don't have any, hence why that hasn't been offered. The second hand screen I did have in stock had lines on it too, just far less lines so stood much stronger changes of delining well.

Quote:
Yes ..really..
When I first found a source for these screens they were 165 before del and import tax. . The fact that rick has found a source and can supply them fitted for 120 is nothing short of a minor miracle...

You need to be less sceptical... 120 is nothing to bring a car up to snuff ... many folks spend 5x that on a damn radio...
Cheers Pete, took me about half of last year to find a decent reliable supplier. I found another one last year but was considerably more expensive and didn't seem very interested in being helpful either.

Quote:
I surcharged for the halos. Can`t wait to fit them
Thanks mate Did the halo's arrive at the address you provided ok in the UK? Tracking shows up as signed for I take it as it is then sent from there to you ?
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote