Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th May 2010, 11:14   #1
Shogo10

Rover 75 2.0 v6 connie SE

Default Balance VIS problem

Does the butterfly go back in to the manifold in the open or closed position or does it matter it's just i am trying to line up my worm gear wheel and can't seem to line it all up.
Does anyone have a picture of the proper position of the worm wheel thing?

Steve
Shogo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 13:09   #2
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

lots of previous posts on this . This one may be of help
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ht=balance+vis
Old 26th May 2010, 21:43   #3
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

It goes back in the OPEN position, as it is open at engine start up and idle up to about 3,100 rpm.

You may need to 'reset' your bal vis by pluging in vis before attaching to the plenum and activating by turning on the ignition. This will reset a 'good' vis motor to its starting position. Same routine for the power vis too.

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 21:54   #4
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
It goes back in the OPEN position, as it is open at engine start up and idle up to about 3,100 rpm.

You may need to 'reset' your bal vis by pluging in vis before attaching to the plenum and activating by turning on the ignition. This will reset a 'good' vis motor to its starting position. Same routine for the power vis too.
isnt it closed under normal driving conditions? i thought it opened at around 3000rpm, which allowed air pressure and amount to 'balance' between the two banks
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 22:01   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Look on the back of the balance motor just around where the oblong shaft goes through. you will see a 90° arc on the plastic. Then look in the shaft that has the oblong slot in it. You will see a small arrow. As long as the arrow is within the arc then that is correct. When you turn the ign on the VIS will reset to hold the balance flap open at rest
HTH

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 22:16   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

My ongoing Project is going to need both VIS motors repairing replacing.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 22:27   #7
Shogo10

Rover 75 2.0 v6 connie SE

HI
Thanks for the replies yes i positioned the wheel so the arrow was pointing in the middle of the arc and the butterfly was partialy open. If i remember on the cogged wheel when i replaced the cover, there was a chunky bit of plastic that protruded out from the cogged wheel in the vis, and that was sitting between the 2 white microswitch buttons.
Would that be the correct position?

Steve
Shogo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 22:42   #8
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
isnt it closed under normal driving conditions? i thought it opened at around 3000rpm, which allowed air pressure and amount to 'balance' between the two banks
Fraid not, wrong end of stick!!, always open up to 3000 rpm then closed.

Recently tried my new vis 'off' the plenum, attached to the butterfly (old duff vis still installed!!) and gassed the engine to actually see the butterfly close and then re open as low rpm resumed.

lots of confusion around but this is fact!!

Closes at higher rpm to shorten tract length to increase torque (runs as 2 x 3 cyl engines as regards air intake)
The use of the word 'balance' is a bit vague! Its open or closed, not somewhere inbetween.

Some members find there bal vis open about 5 mm,,, this is a knackered vis!! as the motor has failed due to a stiff butterfly between 5mm and completely closed. Common remedy is to shave the butterfly around the center pivot to 'ease' the operation of the flap, then repair or replace the vis.

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Old 26th May 2010, 22:46   #9
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogo10 View Post
HI
Thanks for the replies yes i positioned the wheel so the arrow was pointing in the middle of the arc and the butterfly was partialy open. If i remember on the cogged wheel when i replaced the cover, there was a chunky bit of plastic that protruded out from the cogged wheel in the vis, and that was sitting between the 2 white microswitch buttons.
Would that be the correct position?

Steve
Thats right, now plug into the loom and activate the ignition and it should reset to the 'home' position which will corespond to an 'open' butterly upon refitting. The drive dog is oblong/rectangular so will only fit one way,, unless you turn the vis upside down in which case it will be impossible to attach to the plenum!!

all the best

Old 26th May 2010, 23:09   #10
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

thanks for clearing that up, seems a bit backward but nothing to do with these types of components is ever straign forward
sorry for the mini hijack, but when the engine speed increaces under load, the power vis operates obviously operates and opens the butterflies in the manifold, but does the balance stay open, or does it close as the power set open? or do the all stay open untill a set rpm when all close
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote