Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th May 2010, 05:59   #1
MalteseMarc
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI connoisseur SE auto, 2004

Default Air intake mod

I know this is a hotly debated subject, i.e to modify or not to modify, but anyway hopefully we will stay away from that one, but my question is to those that have already done it is, when the bellow, (corrugated) part of the intake is cut off, is it worth leaving the funnel bit attached to the slam panel so as to draw cold air into the engine bay, or is it best to, not only remove that bit but also the splash guard? Anyway would like to gauge the opinion of those that have ALREADY done this as to any additional benefits, if any, with the removal of the above mentioned items
MalteseMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 07:08   #2
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

no experience I have done the basic mod (opened up front of inlet) but honestly don't think it makes any difference (except maybe a placebo effect) in fact I begin to wonder as it was obviously made the way it is for a reason. Cutting back to before the bellows is surely bound to increase inlet air temp significantly which can't be good, anyone out there checked the before/after temps with a obd2 reader? even the simple mod seems to have possibly increased the inlet temp slightly on my car (it does sit directly over the radiator remember) so I begin to wonder if the, admittedly quite narrow, angled inlets that are standard are purposely designed to pull in the best quality air and that I've been a bit foolish. Has anyone modified the metal ledge with the cables going across I presume it is a slash guard thought I might bend it upward to allow more access direct to fresh air but is it risky to do that from point of view of damp entering the inlet?

Last edited by rossocorsa; 26th May 2010 at 07:12..
rossocorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 10:11   #3
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

I cut mine off and removed the end from the slam panel. I don't think it needs to be left there to let air get 'drawn in' - as it will still get in if it is removed.

The mod was certainly worthwhile on my old and high mileage 75 CDT. Must be the cheapest and easiest bit of 'tuning' I've ever done!
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 10:57   #4
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

If you decide on the ctting the inlet off from the convoluted box section, just remove the intake inlet from under the slam panel, nothing else. Did it to my MkII tourer and saloon, and will do it to my next MkII
Old 26th May 2010, 18:57   #5
FROGGY
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT CDTI

Have been thinking about utilising the false intake bits on the front to route air into the underbonnet area, but access isn't too good !

Mick

IN THE BLACK NOW
FROGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 19:52   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintee View Post
I cut mine off and removed the end from the slam panel. I don't think it needs to be left there to let air get 'drawn in' - as it will still get in if it is removed.

The mod was certainly worthwhile on my old and high mileage 75 CDT. Must be the cheapest and easiest bit of 'tuning' I've ever done!
so you tuned your car by cutting the length of the air intake?
what was the difference? more miles per gallon? more torque? faster acceleration?
so far , no one has come up with a difinitive answer to any of these questions yet.
as an aside, did you know that torque can be increased/decreased by the length of the air intake? shortening usually decreases torque,so how it makes sense to do this mod, i do not know.
now we will have forum members coming and telling us "fairy stories" about extra 10 mpg,0-60 in 7.0 seconds. i will believe it when firstly put on a rolling road. then the mod done, and put back on the rolling road. see if there is any difference. my betting :zilch, only less torque at certain revs which most of us do not use.
Old 26th May 2010, 20:00   #7
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

I've done the mod, not so much as to gain any alleged increase in power, but more to prevent water ingress into the MAF. Seems to do the trick

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 20:40   #8
FROGGY
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
what was the difference? more miles per gallon? more torque? faster acceleration?
so far , no one has come up with a difinitive answer to any of these questions yet.
as an aside, did you know that torque can be increased/decreased by the length of the air intake? shortening usually decreases torque,so how it makes sense to do this mod, i do not know.
now we will have forum members coming and telling us "fairy stories" about extra 10 mpg,0-60 in 7.0 seconds. i will believe it when firstly put on a rolling road. then the mod done, and put back on the rolling road. see if there is any difference. my betting :zilch, only less torque at certain revs which most of us do not use.
There have been qualified reports on here with rolling road results from respected members showing before and after figures. The afters showed an increase of a few BHP. If you can be *****, have a look.

Mick

IN THE BLACK NOW
FROGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 21:18   #9
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
to prevent water ingress into the MAF.
at its full length the inlet appears to have a dished recess in the bottom with a drain hole is that not meant to do this very thing without resorting to exposing the inlet to warm under bonnet air?
rossocorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 21:38   #10
Rolled1
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Doing the air intake mod worked for me,fact,I know my own car as I drive it every day,and it certainly pulled better and lower down after doing this mod,it's not a placebo effect nor a "fairy story" so dont try and insult me or others by claiming it is,I dont know the exact effect as I havent put it on a rolling road nor do I intend to just to satisfy your curiousity,you're entitled to your opinion and me to mine,I know it worked for me,whether you believe it or not I couldnt give a toss
Rolled1 is offline   Reply With Quote