Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st June 2010, 11:50   #1
BlackMagic
Loves to post

Used to have: MG ZT 190 SE+

Angry Overtaking Etiquette

First of all, I openly admit I drive fast where conditions allow.

On Sunday night as a result of a fatality (motorcyclist) I was forced to take a massive detour home (from Oban) when the Rest and Be Thankful was closed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...t/10196198.stm

I was able to make good (fast) progress home safely overtaking (using the power of the V6 to good effect). My 'problem' however manifested iself when I came to be behind a chain of 8 cars who were content to drive bumper to bumper at 40mph. In my book if faster traffic is behind (or there is a line of cars following closely behind) I pull over and let faster traffic through. Just because I am happy sauntering along the road doesn't mean to say everyone else should.

However, this chain of cars were happy to follow like sheep and then took exception (lights flashing / horns blowing) when I start to make an effort to 'skip' up the line. Is it just me?

I am all for the Police tackling hardcore speedsters but they also need to target those that are dawdling along as this undoubtedly causes frustration and actually leads to accidents where individuals are forced to take additional risks in order to progress. For information the weather was beautiful and dry with good light and the road conditions were perfect (dry).

I should say that I eventually overtook said line of cars perhaps straying slightly over the 60mph limit

So, what are our views on overtaking etiquette?

Is it acceptable to dawdle along at less than the speed limit and then take exception to those who wish to progress?

Blue touchpaper lit, responses awaited...

Last edited by BlackMagic; 1st June 2010 at 11:51.. Reason: Can't spell!
BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 11:58   #2
Joseph
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club Saloon Manual CDT

I think if they were doing 40 in a 60 zone and noone was overtaking then it was perfectly fine, I would have been jealous of someone overtaking as the most i've done is two.

I was beeped on the way to work on a saturday morning, 2 cars driving 30 in a 60 zone both seemed to get very angry when I took leave and flew past them.

I don't mind people going along AT the speed limit, even if I feel its slow I wont overtake because I understand some people want to stay completely within the law and I think its a bit mean to overtake them (when I was a learning going the speed limit I felt bad when people overtook, understood why though) but if they are going under the speed limit then you should overtake if you want.

How long a road must there have been to overtake all 8 at once?! Kudos to you good sir.
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 12:13   #3
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

You are in control of your own car, what risks you are prepared to take under any given set of circumstances is down to you. But it does sound as though you need to learn to be more relaxed and patient when driving, or you may end up as one in a Hospital!

How other people choose to travel is their choice. but one thing you can be sure of. Sooner or later the "bad drivers" run out of luck! .....

It's not exclusive though, good drivers also get bad luck at times, (usually caused by bad drivers) but in their case it's easier to live with.

Ever done the maths on speed and distance? it's amazing how little time you can save over a long distance, even if you constantly risk your life!

Give a friend a 10 minute start, and ask him to obey all the speed restrictions, then "chase" after him. Unless you are going a very very long way you wont catch him up..

Last edited by James.uk; 1st June 2010 at 12:16..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 12:17   #4
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

I wonder if the bike rider had become frustrated with traffic ahead and decided to overtake regardless?

Or maybe somebody became frustrated with the bike rider's perceived lack of progress and tried to overtake?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 12:25   #5
BlackMagic
Loves to post

Used to have: MG ZT 190 SE+

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post

Ever done the maths on speed and distance? it's amazing how little time you can save over a long distance, even if you constantly risk your life!

If I am following a car at 40MPH when I could be (legally) doing 60MPH then in one hour I should be 20 miles further up the road - simples!

I do take your point.

My issue is that if you are happy content to drive at less than the speed limit you shouldn't be upset / aggrieved if someone chooses to pass you and indeed you should facilitate overtaking by allowing a gap

In my humble opinion, it's no different from lane hogging on the motorway - once you have passed the vehicle in front, move over out of the way - there will ALWAYS be someone wishing to go faster than you! It's surely better for all concerned to let faster traffic through?
BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 12:42   #6
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

>>>If I am following a car at 40MPH when I could be (legally) doing 60MPH then in one hour I should be 20 miles further up the road - simples!<<<

Not so! That would only work on an empty straight road in perfect weather, and that ain't gonna happen on our roads today!! What happens in reality is, you charge past him, run into traffic, and he catches you up again! This can happen dozens of times so that even after an hour he is still only a short distance behind you..

I do agree they shouldn't get upset when you pass them, equally though, you shouldn't get upset when you can't ..

The object of any journey is, (or should be) to get there safely, with no damage to your car, and having enjoyed (hopefully) a relatively stress free and pleasant drive.. an occasional bursts of speed when it's safe to do so shouldn't exactly ruin your day. -- But-- Mr Plod might!!
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 13:06   #7
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

I am all for the Police tackling hardcore speedsters but they also need to target those that are dawdling along as this undoubtedly causes frustration and actually leads to accidents where individuals are forced to take additional risks in order to progress.

And here lies the crux of the argument....in your view you were 'forced to take additional risks in order to progress'...in my view, nobody forced you to take those 'additional risks'....you chose to take them..for a matter of convenience to save maybe 5 minutes max....which would be absolutely fine if said additional risks only applied to you...but they don't...your additional risk taking would have had an impact on many others had your luck run out...( Granted, I do make the assumption that you were not in the process of a delivery for live organ transplant....)

Yes the situation you describe is frustration inducing....so learn to chill...sit back, look at the view, play some music or listen to the engine.....far better that than the potential alternatives...your life and the lives of others is precious...why risk ruining it?

You drive fast where conditions allow.....so drive slow when they don't....everyone's a winner then...

Last edited by Zeb; 1st June 2010 at 13:14..
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 13:53   #8
djw40
Gets stuck in

Ford Kuga

I'm with James in that if you abide by all other Laws a difference in speed for part or even most of the journey will not make a great deal of difference.

When travelling to work I have noticed that if I push it a bit I only gain a maximimum of 5 minutes on the TomTom's estimated arrival time.

Drive very leisurely and rarely lose any time. (Hope that makes sense)

Also bear in mind overtaking is not as easy as some people think.
It is an art to predict and assess all possible scenarios before attempting....

A significant number of collisions are due to access speed accompanied by an overtake that was either not on or too dangerous for that place.
djw40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 14:50   #9
Joseph
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club Saloon Manual CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
>>>If I am following a car at 40MPH when I could be (legally) doing 60MPH then in one hour I should be 20 miles further up the road - simples!<<<

Not so! That would only work on an empty straight road in perfect weather, and that ain't gonna happen on our roads today!! What happens in reality is, you charge past him, run into traffic, and he catches you up again! This can happen dozens of times so that even after an hour he is still only a short distance behind you..

Or, you get through one red light before them, swarms of traffic are behind you and in front of him. Granted a lot of the time it wont make much of a difference but if you are stuck behind a bad driver it can add a lot to your journey.

When driving to work a micra was doing 40 in a 60 zone and I thought nothing of it, I was going to be early anyway, as I got to ditchling there was a gap big enough for a van to get through and she just stopped, wouldnt move. nothing happened for 15 minutes until someone else got her to get out of the car and moved it through the gap, got to the next gap and the same thing happened. I was 10 minutes late for work (I'm usually about half an hour early)

Overtaking doesnt always save time, but it really can be a big differece at times.
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 15:04   #10
scgfull
Loves to post

none

I'm not certain where this is going as most poster's seem to be implying that you should never overtake!.

I am with Black Magic on this one, If people are content to dawdle along then fine and all well and good - but given sufficient space and clear roads there is absolutely nothing wrong in overtaking. And yes the dawdlers should leave a sufficient gap for overtaking cars to pull in if the need arises. If they are content to dawdle they should not be upset with those that are not.

Overtaking should always be an assessment of how safe it is - not how dangerous! (a state of mind thing).

Steve

Memeber 4069
scgfull is offline   Reply With Quote