Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st June 2010, 17:33   #1
Joseph
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club Saloon Manual CDT

Default ECU remapping, worth it?

Before everyone blasts that I should but a roverron box the upgrade has to be something that if I am in a crash (heaven forbid) can't be detected.

I've been told a remap wont show up on any tests (And if it does I can just say it was done before me and that I had no idea)

I was just wondering how much more people get from their car JUST from a remap

http://www.remapscience.co.uk/rover_ecu_remapping.html

says the 115BHP will go to 152 and that 260nm goes to 330nm. To me this seems too good to be true so of course I don't trust that I will get quite that much out of them but how much should I actually expect?

Also has anyone been told off by insurance companys for remapping?

(Couldn't find a thread this blunt anywhere, sorry)

Cheers,

Joseph.
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:26   #2
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

Right.. Sorry to be the voice of reason here but your comments imply that you will not be informing your innsurance company. Otherwise why would you have to remove it in an accident.

If you are modding your car and not informing your insurance company then you are driving without insurance.

This is a subject that really bugs me. I've worked for innsurance companies for years and I've seen exactly what can happen when idiots don't get adequate insurance or don't tell insurance companies about changes to cars and this are driving without insurance at all.

If you can afford to mod your car then you can afford to pay the increase this will cause. If not then don't mod. Simple.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:31   #3
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

get yourself a synergy 2 and tell the insurance..the pleasure you will get out of it out weighs the extra on the premium.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:42   #4
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Have you actually asked the Insurance Company what it may cost as an extra?
Don't say its so you can drive faster etc, its to obtain more torque to assist in using less fuel through fewer down-changes etc.
Myself, Raistlin and others have no extra on premium or very little if you shop around.
Please don't take the risk.

Quote:
This Forum cannot condone anybody openly or otherwise saying they will be driving illegally through No operative Insurance.
If this is the line you wish to take please do not publish it on the forums,
whatever you do is your decision of course.
Thanks.

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 1st June 2010 at 18:50..
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:43   #5
Joseph
Gets stuck in

well I have been told that remapping the ecu doesnt count as a mod but more as a service. If you worked for an insurance company can you please tell me if remapping counts as a "mod"?

Also I paid £2,400 for insurance and no companys will let me even change the alloys, there are no mods I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Have you actually asked the Insurance Company what it may cost as an extra?
Don't say its so you can drive faster etc, its to obtain more torque to assist in using less fuel through fewer down-changes etc.
Myself, Raistlin and others have no extra on premium or very little if you shop around.
Please don't take the risk.

This Forum cannot condone anybody openly or otherwise saying they will be driving illegally through No operative Insurance.
If this is the line you wish to take please do not publish it on the forums,
whatever you do is your decision of course.
Thanks.
Haven't phoned my insurance company and asked yet, good point. Can't really shop around now as even this insurance company is asking for 3,400 without any mods so I have to count myself lucky and stick with this insurance.

I will not get the remap without asking my insurance company, just wanted a mod and was told that this one wouldnt matter. Thank you all for the advice and strong words

Last edited by Dragrad; 13th April 2014 at 01:58.. Reason: consecutive posts
Old 1st June 2010, 18:47   #6
JohnDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
well I have been told that remapping the ecu doesnt count as a mod but more as a service. If you worked for an insurance company can you please tell me if remapping counts as a "mod"?

Also I paid £2,400 for insurance and no companys will let me even change the alloys, there are no mods I can get.

Cheers,

Joseph.
A remap is a Modification and most reputable companies will tell you this.
You should of course always tell Insurance companies of any alterations to original specification.
Sorry about that.
Many have lost out big time for a small increase in premium.
I realise in your case your premiums are high, but is it worth the risk?
Old 1st June 2010, 18:47   #7
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Sorry Joseph, but are you being serious? A car has a rated power output of, say, in the case of a CDT, 116PS, you have a re-map to produce perhaps 150PS. The insurance company are going to say "That's OK - it's a service"?

To answer your original question, VeeKay has had the benefit of the XPower re-map AND a Synergy. That's the way to do it although not with your insurance bill of course.

Last edited by Raistlin; 1st June 2010 at 18:50..
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:48   #8
JohnDotCom

Quote:
I will not get the remap without asking my insurance company, just wanted a mod and was told that this one wouldnt matter. Thank you all for the advice and strong words
The remark in Post is for everyone not just yourself as we are a limited company we have to be careful in certain aspects of posts.
Thanks.
Old 1st June 2010, 18:51   #9
Joseph
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Sorry Joseph, but are you being serious? A car has a rated power output of, say, in the case of a CDT, 116PS, you have a re-map to produce perhaps 150PS. The insurance company are going to say "That's OK - it's a service"?

To answer your original question, VeeKay has had the benefit of the XPower re-map AND a Synergy. That's the way to do it
I always thought you got the ECU looked at once every few years and it was called remapping, just figured you COULD get it "remapped" where they cram in some more BHP, my bad.
Old 1st June 2010, 18:54   #10
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
I always thought you got the ECU looked at once every few years and it was called remapping, just figured you COULD get it "remapped" where they cram in some more BHP, my bad.
OK mate Well, it was worth asking the question on the forum to save yourself possibly doing something you might later regret

I'm shocked at your insurance bill though That's not funny at all.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote