Notices

Old 9th July 2016, 16:19   #1
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts
Default Website set up help

Hi.
I'm starting up a new business. I have already got some work but I'd like to supplement it with a website.
Right now I need to do this cheaply then gradually build on it if things pan out.
Any help with getting a domain and building the the website would be great, I'm not looking for freebies but some genuine help would be great.
I'm open to suggestions.
Thank You
Old 9th July 2016, 18:06   #2
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I can't offer any help but interested in the replys as I always fancied a web site for my photography

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 18:08   #3
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

www.godaddy.com

about 30 quid will see you with a domain, email and website builder from a template system
Old 9th July 2016, 18:18   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

There are plenty of free website editing software around and a few free websites you could use to have an early play with. Start with simple and work up in complexity. Eventually you will need a proper domain, if it takes off.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 18:46   #5
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Plenty of web hosting companies. Get a domain and then use an email address of <something>@domain.com that way, you can change ISPs for access and always keep the same email address.

As far as setting up a website, look at something like wix or if you want to do it the 'hard' way, the you can download free software (like Microsoft's Visual Studio web edition) and do it yourself, but this takes time as you'll have to learn a new 'language'.

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 22:17   #6
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

I used Weebly to do a website for the model boat club I was in. Plenty of templates to work from, all web based so can be accessed and edited from anywhere. Most importantly of all, it was easy to learn how to use it, and within a week we had a working website, then over time we added to it.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 22:41   #7
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

I run 3 simple websites for family business. As said above, there are many hosting companies around where you can get a domain and free site designer.

I started quite a few years ago and taught myself to use Adobe Dreamweaver, Flash, etc.

I think the free web design packages that are offered as part of the deal these days do a pretty good job and are the simpler way to go.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 12:36   #8
OliverTailor
Spammer. Banned.

Rover 75 Saloo

When it comes to building websites, I recommend you to take a closer look at Wix, Weebly and Squarespace that I consider to be very intuitive build. Wix, especially, gives you huge freedom when it comes to creativity.
Old 5th September 2018, 13:17   #9
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I've sold things on the internet for about 5 years now and I've always done my own websites etc.

1. Do NOT use GoDaddy

Otherwise by far the cheapest (and easiest after a slight learning curve) is to buy a domain and get website hosting. Then you can choose from a variety of very cheap but very effective website builder tools. I have an all singing all dancing retail site but the template cost me less than £100 (one off payment) and monthly web hosting costs me about £4.00 a month. This is for a website with about 2000 products and still with room for expansion, it works really well otherwise I wouldn't use it because it would loose me business!

I have tried most of the big names in 'one stop' webhosting/websites and they are mostly pretty restrictive in terms of what you can actually do in terms of design and are usually very expensive for what you get if you are a small business.

Drop me a pm
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote