Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th October 2015, 19:40   #1
Mr Toad of London

Rover 75 V8 tourer MG ZTT V6 MG RV8 and others

Default ignition switch barrel problem

Hi all,

My MG ZTT 180 Plus has not been used for a few weeks. When I went to start it today initially I could not get the key to enter the barrel after a couple of goes it went in and I started the car. Left it running a little while and then turned it off and took the key out. 30 odd minutes later I tried starting the car again but however hard I tried it would not go in. I sprayed the barrel with some WD 40
no effect. I then placed a socket extension against the barrel and lightly tapped the end with a soft faced hammer (don't want to set off the air bag)and it worked. Took the key out reinserted couple of times but on the third occasion it was back to square one. Do I need a new barrel or can it be fixed if so how? If I need a new barrel how do you fit it and does it need hooking up to T4? I should have mentioned that the steering lock is not working. Appreciate some advice please.

Thanks

Martin
Mr Toad of London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 00:29   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

I have the same, but intermittent, problem. But over time I found that if you "wiggle" the steering wheel at the same time as inserting the key it usually works fine I have done this system for years as another car I had had the same issue, so I have not thought of it as a 'problem'... just lived with it and do it automatically whether I need to or not

However, in your case the steering lock not working could be the root cause

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 04:20   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

A new steering lock does not require T4

Have a look at the attachment, it mentions the use of lots of special tools for transponder coil removal etc.

You will find the TX coil is secured with a couple of tangs around it's perimeter which can be carefully eased with a small screwdriver.

Oh, and special tool 57-039 is in reality a stout paperclip which has had 1 1/2" straightened out to enable the barrel to be released.

I would do it now before it packs in altogether though

Brian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf steering lock.pdf (91.4 KB, 58 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 06:17   #4
Gareth.Richards
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Exclamation

I had the same problem on my 5 series BMW. Get you lock sorted out ASAP as it can drop into the "locked" position at any time whilst you are driving! I was fortunately on a garage forecourt when mine went, had to wait for the tow truck to come and rescue me most inconvenient! Safety first!
Gareth.Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 07:00   #5
Mr Toad of London

Rover 75 V8 tourer MG ZTT V6 MG RV8 and others

Thanks for the responses. Surely even if the steering lock is not working by inserting the key in the barrel this prevents the lock from engaging if that doesn't happen the consequences don't bear thinking about or have I missed something.It seems to me that if I replace the barrel that should solve the problem. If the actual steering lock needs replacing it looks like the steering column has to be replaced and I certainly don't want to go down that road!

Martin
Mr Toad of London is offline   Reply With Quote