Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd April 2019, 20:53   #11
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I always copaslip wheel bolts & nearly every bolt I remove before refitting but, re stuck wheel bolts, one method, & I stress you do this at your own risk, is to refit all the other bolts just tight, then drive forward & backward a few times.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:00   #12
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I have only had alloy wheel to steel "sticking" was years ago when the company cars had their wheels "cleaned" with some of the products sold for whell cleaning which must have had some nasty chemicals in them!
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:39   #13
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
As I commented earlier the use of a lubricant on wheel bolts has a significant effect on the torque setting. The MGR specified torque is for a 'dry' thread with no, or minimal lubrication. The effect of a fully lubed thread on the specified torque can be obtained from tables like this: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/t...ts-d_1693.html

The effect is surprising.

TC
Very interesting link T-Cut!
Am I reading that right... apply lubrication to the thread of a bolt and you should decrease the torque you apply to it?

Somehow I would’ve thought it would be the other way around!
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:57   #14
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
Am I reading that right... apply lubrication to the thread of a bolt and you should decrease the torque you apply to it?

I believe that is the case, I always thought like you, but I imagine that with the grease in a thread, as it is tightened, the grease is compressed a little and adds pressure - maybe I am wrong on that?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have always added a little copper grease to all of my bolts, especially with alloy wheels on the taper. When fitting the bolts I drag a strip straight down, and it then spreads a little grease around the threads without overloading them (as I used to when I was younger ) - Its not failed me yet.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:32   #15
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post

That post is correct...

Torque is a measure of the effort needed to turn the bolt or nut, it doesn't measure the amount of 'squeeze' in pulling two surfaces together, or the tension in the bolt thread.

Grease the thread, and the torque required will be less for the same amount of 'squeeze' applied.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:43   #16
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

That's why most cylinder head bolts are now torqued to yield, not just torqued up, as the clamp load was too variable . At the end of the day that's what is needed, clamp load, wheel to hub. I believe in the construction industry on large pipe flanges they are nipped up and then turned by a certain angle to apply the correct load.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 16:59   #17
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Replaced the cylinder head on my Discovery and have to use all new bolts, they were torque to certain figure, then degree tightening sequence there after - NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- tight if I recall!
Same Disco I bought at 30000 miles witha a new set of Goodyear tyres fitted. I didnt have to remove any of the wheels until the front tyres needed changing again at about 60000 miles. What a job the tyre fitters then had getting the front wheels off! Broke one of their 1/2" drive breaker bars loosening the bolts then when they had all 5 bolts off they had to hammer the wheel repeatedly with a dead blow rubber sledge hammer thing, almost breaking it in the process. Dont know what numpty put the wheels on but I was so glad I hadnt got a puncture on a dark rainy night. Strangely when I took the rears off to check them later I had no such problem
Ive also used copperslip for decades without any problems on both wheel nuts and wheel bolts, torquing to the normal specified torque with seemingly no ill effects.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 17:25   #18
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I apply Copaslip to the alloy contact points with the hub as I have had a couple of wheels seize on, but just torque the wheel bolts up dry.

As they get removed regularly for servicing never had a problem undoing them.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 17:34   #19
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

I think thats the case too, if you have them off reularly youre unlikely to experience the same problems. All our cars have the wheels off several times a year for proper cleaning, tyre rotating etc so never any other issues.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 18:01   #20
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
I always copaslip wheel bolts & nearly every bolt I remove before refitting but, re stuck wheel bolts, one method, & I stress you do this at your own risk, is to refit all the other bolts just tight, then drive forward & backward a few times.

I agree, had to do it a few times on my wife’s car. Refitted the other bolts, and left them a bit loose, marked the stubborn bolt, then drove forward and backward on the drive for a minute. Stopped and checked the marked bolt, if it came loose then jack back up and remove, if still stubborn a little more forwards/backwards, and it eventually came loose.

I too always coppaslip the bolts a little, but just a very small amount, I smear a bit on the end of the bolt, then as I tighten it, it goes all along the thread. Never given the torque setting a thought.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote