Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st October 2016, 21:36   #11
John Armstrong
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Diesel Saloon

I also fitted the exact same Vatra model - it is giving excellent performance.
John Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 11:40   #12
NRMOZ
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon X2

Interesting variations on looking at batteries. I'd have thought the prime requisite is NOT the biggest battery but the strongest battery. Trap can be looking at the CCA figure (usually around 780 for a ROver 75 battery). Basically this is the cold cranking amps available; the stronger the better because as most will know and the rest will find out the Rover computer does not like delivering power to the starter motor the second the voltage drops a milli-volt under its setting. Local engineer pointed out the better batteries will tell you this figure a 0 degrees (celcius for those of us down-under). The better batteries will therefore deliver much better results at ambient temps... this would be more important for our UK mates who suffer much lower temps than we do in winter...

I was having battery issues with the strongest battery my local battery place had; and there it was 780 CCA at ambient temp; not 0C. My engineer hooked me up with a replacement that delivers nearly 100 more than that at ambient temps; and that was @ 21% charge versus the 'old' unit that could not deliver the stated amount even at 100% charge of 12.54V.

Most interesting was my old battery, purchased in January 2016 was down to 91% health!!!

I now run a good trickle charger; I get to the start the 75 when ever I want to now...
Old 2nd October 2016, 17:21   #13
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Now we're talking batteries again I'll ask the question. Don't think I got a reply last time. Why is my Yuasa twice the weight of the Crompton it replaced? Is it maybe 'cos it's a 'gel' battery? Oh, and are they better than a lead acid? It's performing well.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 18:31   #14
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Now we're talking batteries again I'll ask the question. Don't think I got a reply last time. Why is my Yuasa twice the weight of the Crompton it replaced? Is it maybe 'cos it's a 'gel' battery? Oh, and are they better than a lead acid? It's performing well.
I suspect that you are correct and it depends on the battery composition. I also have a Yuasa battery but I think it's a calcium one, seems to weigh a tonne but it does the job....although the last time I got back from a two Month trip and my ZTT diesel had just been left standing for most of that time the battery was flat so this time whilst I'm away I have plugged in a solar panel trickle charger and hopefully it'll keep it topped up until I get back.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 12:59   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I hope Harry gets a prompt that there is a reply

Harry, how is the battery doing? Pondering getting the same battery

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 14:09   #16
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I hope Harry gets a prompt that there is a reply

Harry, how is the battery doing? Pondering getting the same battery

macafee2

The battery is still performing absolutely fine here.

Was there another question I missed?

If it was about battery weight, then yes - the heavier the battery generally, the better the quality and the ore expensive. Its the amount of lead in the battery, the more, the better.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 14:10   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
The battery is still performing absolutely fine here.

Was there another question I missed?

If it was about battery weight, then yes - the heavier the battery generally, the better the quality and the ore expensive. Its the amount of lead in the battery, the more, the better.

thanks, just the one question which was how is the battery, I've now ordered one

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 16:18   #18
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
thanks, just the one question which was how is the battery, I've now ordered one

macafee2

If I remember correctly, they are very quick in delivering, expect in Monday morning.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 18:34   #19
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
If I remember correctly, they are very quick in delivering, expect in Monday morning.

I ordered an exide battery from them a couple of weeks ago. Ordered 11am Friday and arrived 10:30 am Saturday.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 19:57   #20
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTLEE View Post
I ended up buying one of these batteries a while back....wish I knew this information before lol

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bul...5-yr-guarantee
Yuasa make the world's finest batteries.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote