Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th November 2019, 14:00   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default Another clutch thread!

Hi all, my cars been a pain to get in gear for a few weeks now, but I’ve not had time to have a look at it. Had to keep driving it as had no alternative. Finally had some spare time today and thought I’d try bleeding it. When I too the cap off the master cylinder there was very little fluid in it, and a black film around the reservoir. I can see no sign of leaks around the master cylinder, carpet seems dry, as are all the plastics around it. Only place that looks like it’s been wet is the foam on the inside of the panel you remove from above the pedals, to get access to the master cylinder.

I’ve refilled it, and bled it through the best I could on my own, and it’s much better.

But where can the black have come from? A seal in the system breaking up? Any suggestions as to where to look now? I’ll try and get it jacked up and take the undertray off to see if there’s any fluid around the bell housing, but I’ve packed everything in the garage away, pending a house move, which will hopefully happen sometime.

Any tips greatly appreciated.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 14:24   #2
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

I had the same issues regarding engaging gears, and like you the master cylinder was low, so I topped it up, and bled it into a jar, and when the fluid settled there was a layer of black gunge in the bottom of the jar. This was only three years after a clutch renewal. It would appear that clutch fluid discolours quite rapidly, and several threads have reccomended an annual bleed and fluid renewal.
Westonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 15:35   #3
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Mine is around 5 years and 90,000 miles after the clutch was replaced. I’ll try and get some more fluid, and see if I can find my bleeding kit, I’ll flush it all through until it runs clear.
Old 15th November 2019, 17:17   #4
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Derrick, if you need a decent jack and assortment of chassis stands and some kit to investigate, give me a shout as I'm not far away, have fluid here and syringe ready for use also if it helps.
Here for most of the week-end !

Regards.
John.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 21:04   #5
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
Derrick, if you need a decent jack and assortment of chassis stands and some kit to investigate, give me a shout as I'm not far away, have fluid here and syringe ready for use also if it helps.
Here for most of the week-end !

Regards.
John.
Thanks John, I might well take you up on the offer, we're busy all day Saturday, and I think I'm busy Sunday morning but I'll see. Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 19:00   #6
Paul Taurai Chitsaka

Rover 75 saloon 1.8litre

Hi also got tht similar problem waz thinking of replacing the master cylinder and bleed it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Paul Taurai Chitsaka is offline   Reply With Quote