Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th February 2020, 13:29   #11
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
The tightness of the set screws clamping the inlet manifold is often overlooked as the engine manifold settles down over time and heat cycles the screws lose some tension and coolant has the ability to weep into the cylinders 1,2,4,6. If allowed to lay long enough the coolant build up could be significant. Every time I have worked on a KV6 I always try and nip the set screws up.
Thanks for the reply, whenever I've changed thermostats I always add a bead of blue hylomar which I believe is unnecessary according to the book but it gives me a bit more security.

As in the above reply Lovel, your work is well known and your opinion valued, what do you think of the state of this gasket and the presence of water in No2 cylinder? If concluding this gasket has leaked would you have gone any further and removed the headgasket?

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 20:16   #12
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Trying to assist a Norwegian lady owner: she asked her local garage to give her newly acquired V6 a checkover. They found that the oil level was very low and filled it “too much” without measuring the level. The next day the high temperature warning light appeared for the first time. She returned to the garage and they found that one cylinder was out of action. The garage found water had entered No.2 cylinder, saying “this would have happened anyway”. They then removed the headgasket and even the engine & gearbox condemning the engine.

So, you learned fellows, was the leak of coolant into the cylinder just a coincidence, or a result of overfilling the oil? Opinions please.

Einar, you still around?

Regards

More info: Received this photo, was the leak into No.2 cylinder caused by this gasket?

Water can't be compressed. If enough had leaked into the cylinder to fill the combustion chamber then the piston would have been smashed and probably the con rod bent too. ( When trying to start the engine. ) This would have been the reason they removed the engine as it would have been useless in that condition.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 20:22   #13
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I would be more concerned about what else they did, if a garage managed to overfill the engine with oil then maybe they 'checked' the coolant as well?
Just heard from the lady concerned that the garage did fill up the coolant, and next day, for the first time, the high temperature warning came on. She says she immediately coasted to a halt and the temperature returned to normal. The light was just on for a few seconds.

If they were just as generous with coolant as engine oil and topped it up to the top of the expansion chamber I suppose the expanded coolant had no-where to go.

Regards
Old 20th February 2020, 21:39   #14
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The over filled coolant will automatically find its own level with no damage to the engine.---

The over heating light probably came on as they probably had no idea how to correctly fill the engine.---

Probably still had air in the system.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 22:01   #15
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
The over filled coolant will automatically find its own level with no damage to the engine.---

The over heating light probably came on as they probably had no idea how to correctly fill the engine.---

Probably still had air in the system.---
Thanks, would assume then that the level was very low if air had got in, not so much of topping it up but more a re-fill. I'll try and find out just how much coolant was added.

Regards
Old 21st February 2020, 15:54   #16
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Wouldn't a dramatic excess of oil blow out somewhere else first? e.g. post 1
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2020, 16:34   #17
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Wouldn't a dramatic excess of oil blow out somewhere else first? e.g. post 1
Thanks for your reply. First thing I thought of was the cam caps going flying but it appears that too much oil can mean the crankshaft functioning like a giant eye whisk creating froth, difficult to pump, overheating, damage to components etc.

The lady owner is now trying to get hold of beinet1 (Einar, a fellow Norwegian).

Regards
Old 22nd February 2020, 12:09   #18
MayNorway

Rover 75 Classic

Smile A very thankful "damsel"

Hello, all
Your help and support have been extremely important and inspiring! My deepest thanks to vitesse for starting this thread, and also to other members that have advised and motivated me.

I have a couple of offers to sell the car for more than the 3000NOK I would get from recycling it, but it feels very wrong to do so, knowing there is hope.

Monday I will have a meeting with the garage-owner. You have given me some very good reasons to argue their conclusion, but I wish I had someone by my side in that office.

As I see it, they will have to fix the car - probably by replacing the motor – or compensate by offering me the price of the car + the 7000 NOK I payed to let them destroy it...
An alternative is that I keep the rental car I have from them, but I cant stand the idea of driving an Open Corsa for months...

Thaks again, you wonderful and dedicated Roverlovers!

sincerely,
May
MayNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 13:04   #19
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Smile

Hello May,

If you are on your own at the meeting on Monday, I think your best option would be to avoid making a snap decision and tell them you will be seeking proper advice before deciding anything. Then write down everything they say and post it here for us to see - there are some real experts in this club.

I would start by asking why they took the engine out of the car. As Einar says (in post 8) it might be easily repairable.

Good luck on Monday and don't let them rush you into a decision.

Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 13:29   #20
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayNorway View Post
Hello, all
Your help and support have been extremely important and inspiring! My deepest thanks to vitesse for starting this thread, and also to other members that have advised and motivated me.

I have a couple of offers to sell the car for more than the 3000NOK I would get from recycling it, but it feels very wrong to do so, knowing there is hope.

Monday I will have a meeting with the garage-owner. You have given me some very good reasons to argue their conclusion, but I wish I had someone by my side in that office.

As I see it, they will have to fix the car - probably by replacing the motor – or compensate by offering me the price of the car + the 7000 NOK I payed to let them destroy it...
An alternative is that I keep the rental car I have from them, but I cant stand the idea of driving an Open Corsa for months...

Thaks again, you wonderful and dedicated Roverlovers!

sincerely,
May
Wish you the best of luck on Monday, but also in getting hold of Einar who most on here recognise to be a very knowledgeable engineer capable of not just maintaining the Rover 75s but originator of some very clever homemade solutions eg. draining all the auto fluid in one operation.

As previous poster, you don't have to accept anything (unless it's very much in your favour), document and photograph, use your Norwegian AA, consumer advisory service etc.

Regards

Last edited by vitesse; 22nd February 2020 at 13:30.. Reason: lack of an A