Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th October 2019, 14:20   #1
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts
Default Nissan Qashqai thoughts.

My lad wants to get rid of his 75 Diesel for a second hand one of the above,
your thoughts on them would be appreciated.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 14:29   #2
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

They seem to do quite well on MOT unless badly neglected, had a few in with snapped off front drop links, but generally seem quite a fair motor despite the links with Renault.
Also one of the few modernish cars which have as standard :
Obvious underseal to areas of special interest (Subframe mounts)
Stainless steel rigid brake pipes.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 15:44   #3
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Seen a few needing bottom arm bushes, make sure it runs well as I believe the injectors can be difficult to get out and ask if the little metal pressure pipe with the banjo joint has been replaced as they block with carbon. When blocked they give a check engine code and strangely a traction control fault

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 17:21   #4
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

I can only comment on my experience with my wife's, and that is ridiculously rusty underneath, considering it's half the age of my ZT, but definitely more rusty.

The 1.5 diesel is incredibly slow, and from what I've read is one of the most polluting cars on the road today. She's averaging around 50mpg on a 50 mile journey to work, mostly dual carriageway and a bit of motorway.

She's had it 3 years and the only time it's actually let her down was a dead battery. A few MOT failures, 1 being a front lower arm at around 90,000 miles. Same issue with the heat shield falling off and rattling as on our cars. You cut your hands to pieces changing the headlight bulbs, tailgate is just the right height for smacking your head on.
Personally I hate the driving position, too high and upright, but that's just me. She likes it, but is looking at the Chinese MG ZS to replace it.

Overall, build quality seems ok, body panels fit well, wheels still look ok, though the interior feels cheap and transit-like, comfy seats, easy to use computer on the dash, stereo is a bit clunky, steering is light (too light for me), as is the gearshift (again, too light for me, sneeze and you've changed gear). The parts I have had to change haven't been any cheaper than they are on the ZT.

1 thing that caught me out when doing an oil change was the under tray being held on with plastic clips. A couple broke when removing them, but had some that were similar enough to replace them.

She likes it, and everything she likes about it, is the reason I hate it. (Oh should add, it's a 2010 model)
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 19:35   #5
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A friend bought a new one 3 years ago and when it was delivered there were numerous faults that were so bad he ended up getting a replacement new car after 6 months and threatening legal action. Its replacement has been OK but he does complain about creeks and rattles from the trim.

His is a diesel so is great on fuel but its not quickest thing on the road.

At the last service the main dealer reckoned it would need new discs and pads all round soon at a cost of £550 . I am not sure what Nissan make there parts from or how long they reckon it takes to fit them because I can get good quality parts to do the job for a 1/3 of that.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 20:31   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

If it's what he fancies, then why not? it won't be any worse than an ageing 75 or ZT.

I often chuckle at the comments about how smooth and compliant the 75 is........well with one notable exception, I've never experienced the fabled "Magic carpet ride".

Any modern car (see new), no matter how cheap and cheerful will knock spots off any 75 or ZT, it's a sad fact, although they were a good car in their time, they were of their time, and times change, cars evolve, are easier to drive, quieter, smoother and more economical.

Does this make them better? well it depends on what you want from a car, reliability albeit boring, or quirky and interesting, with a concession or two to reliability.

Back to the CashCow, I've only ever driven one, and it seemed ok, it's not what I would choose to drive as a daily, but a lot of people seem to like them.

I would suggest he drive a couple to see what engine choice suits him, and remember most on here will be prompting him to keep his 75, and how dare he eschew 75 ownership and as such won't be giving the most impartial of advice

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 00:18   #7
75 tinkerer
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

My wife bought the QQ for the auto gearbox and handbrake
(touch of arthur-itis) and after finding the Rover seats too low.
It carries 5 folk comfortably and luggage for two can be hidden
in the boot. I got a decent discount by knowing an ex-squaddie (my
electrician). It's not done many miles but I can't get the figure back on to
the display so don't know. Seems reliable so far except for the
battery (Fiamm).
Ours is the 1.2 with CVT autobox, not very economical or fast,
small tank as well. Word on the street is that if the autobox
dies then it's scrap. I can hear the Turbo whistling...
It does everything Cath wants, so far. But I have a few
thoughts…..

Not keen on the ride, I struggle to read the map. Mists up badly, the 75 is much better. Hence the heated
windscreen and AC options? Light controls are rotary switches on stalks so you can't feel
what they're set to. Try switching the fog lights on! With lights
set to auto (I try not to change anything when I drive) I very
often use the headlamp flasher when the autodip sees a
street lamp . The 360 degree cameras work OK but on a rough track at
night I ended up on the grass, everything looked the same and
the display ruined my night-vision. It will take a spare wheel (not standard) but a full size one
would take a lot from the boot. Don't lift the wipers then open the bonnet. There's nowhere big enough to take my A to Z roadmap book. Dash-board reflection is worse than the 75. You can't leave a spare key hidden, unless in a metal box.
75 tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 00:37   #8
75 tinkerer
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I should've said WHEN the gearbox dies...
75 tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 08:14   #9
Nige B
This is my second home

honda civic

They are decent to drive , good visibility and ride height ..I have driven the managers for small deliveries at work and I believe i would buy one .OBviousley any new to your dad car should be checked over , and under by someone.As with all cars regardless of make / model ...there will be good ones and bad ones.

Nige B
Nige B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 10:56   #10
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Sorry Rev, I really don't like them, horrid vehicles. I found the driving position cramped, you have a very small cockpit and the driving position is too low. The vehicle itself is long low and large, its just a large estate car, I found this made it very difficult to judge, you cant see out of the back window at all.

We had a 2019 model as a courtesy car for two weeks, I couldn't wait to give it back, the customer service staff even commented and said that I'm not the only customer to make the same comments.

The 360 degree parking camera was a cool toy, but the auto-parking was a blooody nightmare, I used it once, never again.

Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote