Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11th June 2020, 08:06   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Be Wary - Virus Is Still There.

So many people will have been lucky not to have been affected by the virus, so logically with the reduction in restrictions, they will and in some cases already be "out on the town".

The virus is still out there and many, many people will still have to meet it, subsequently enduring the losses and trauma, the nursing staff will still have to work their socks off.

Stay very wary of those around you and your loved ones, this has a long way to run. IMHO.
Old 11th June 2020, 09:15   #2
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Absolutely, I think you're right and that we have a long way to go. Scotland is a wee bit further behind England.
Old 11th June 2020, 10:44   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
So many people will have been lucky not to have been affected by the virus, so logically with the reduction in restrictions, they will and in some cases already be "out on the town".

The virus is still out there and many, many people will still have to meet it, subsequently enduring the losses and trauma, the nursing staff will still have to work their socks off.

Stay very wary of those around you and your loved ones, this has a long way to run. IMHO.

Totally agree, I wonder if it will ever be safe before a vaccine is administered to all those that want and can have it.

macafee2
Old 11th June 2020, 12:18   #4
Mark Murphy
Regular poster

Rover 75, and Mg zt 1.8T

I don't see how they can "fasttrack" a vaccine? plus coronavirus have never had one
Old 11th June 2020, 14:40   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Totally agree, I wonder if it will ever be safe before a vaccine is administered to all those that want and can have it.

macafee2
THIS study may be of interest regarding. It relates to the influenza (all types) pandemic in 2009, during and after. Of course in 2009/2010, a vaccine (which is NOT a cure remember) was available. Trying to find an equivalent study from before the vaccine was introduced is proving difficult. THIS one is the closest I can find, but I cannot see any comparable data to make use of a comparison.

Like any serious transmittable viral infection, people who are infected, should be isolating themselves to help prevent the spread. The lockdown will make people more aware of both it and how it affects others, so with a bit of luck and consideration, people will actually do something about it.

It will NOT be eradicated, it WILL mutate - this is what viruses do. In the meantime of course, that does not help those who contract it and possibly succumb. HOWEVER and this is the important bit to remember, not everyone who contracts it dies from it. On the grand scheme of things, from memory, it is something like 5% of those who do contract it, will succumb. I do not have numbers for it, as records are inaccurate, but a very high proportion of those who do succumb, have an underlying condition. (another factor that muddies the water, is how a virus is not what kills you, but it is a secondary infection - eg pneumonia or another bacterial infection, which can be brought on by a 'regular' flu or cold and these people would not have been identified in the deaths recorded). AND even those with underlying conditions are NOT guaranteed to succumb.

Be sensible, be considerate, and if you have symptoms, even if it seems to be the common cold, self isolate. And coming from a smoker, if you see someone sneeze or cough, do not assume they have it (or any other infection). It is more likely to the increased smoking they will have been doing during lockdown.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 11th June 2020, 18:49   #6
Ray L
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

Exclamation

Sadly still seems to be a thousand deaths this week.

So, still got to be very careful
Old 11th June 2020, 21:58   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts
Thumbs up Realty check

0.004 percent of people who contract covid 19 will die as a result.

Please be safe, sensible, and respectful of others, however do not make the mistake of thinking that if you are unlucky enough to contract the virus that it is a certainty that you will be fast tracked to the grave.

The headline figures are appalling, however they are just that, and the way they are being reported designed to shock.

I look forward to the time when reliable antigen testing is rolled out and it is revealed that 30 million plus in the population have been infected without even as much as a sneeze or cough, the headline figures will be put into some sort of context.

98% of people infected are either asymptomatic, or display only mild symptoms, of the 2% remaining, 80% of those will go on to make a full recovery.

There are many things in life that contribute to our eventual demise, this virus although unpleasant and in certain cases deadly, it should not be regarded as a reason to put your life on hold, in fact far from it.

We are all put on this planet but once, you don't get a refund, and if you don't grasp life with both hands and make the most of it, then you are confusing quality with quantity.

Don't waste time, it is very precious, in fact it is our most precious commodity, as once spent it cannot ever be regained.

Brian
Old 11th June 2020, 23:48   #8
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
We are all put on this planet but once. Brian
We don't live forever but we do live now. So, what were we before ... dead?
Old 12th June 2020, 06:27   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
We don't live forever but we do live now. So, what were we before ... dead?
Worse than that, we were Mackems

Brian
Old 12th June 2020, 08:47   #10
Mark Murphy
Regular poster

Rover 75, and Mg zt 1.8T

Actually that has made me think, when you are dead, you are just not born yet..
Closed Thread