Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th April 2021, 06:42   #41
Lear
Regular poster

MGZT-T

As the post in Trikey’s post shows the Diesel engine is 114-161 hp so there is a strong argument that a 160 remap with no other changes has not modified the engine at all.
Alfa Romeo S2 Spider (because I always fancied Mrs Robinson)
Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato 1.3S (very rare but a bit of a poser)
VW Split screen camper (to feed my ageless hippy syndrome)
2000 Citroen Berlingo (no family should be without one)
TR4a for 43 years (just sold, ran out of space)
Lear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2021, 08:05   #42
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
you dont need to be a boy racer to have a car remapped.
It can turn a dog of a car into a reasonable car, it can turn a poor tow car into a reasonable tow car.

The witness said the Rover 75 flew away from the lights. The insurance assessor thinks, "a Rover 75 flying away from the lights, surly not, let me check the ECU"

Why would you not inform your insurance company you have had your car remapped?

macafee2
I had my 131 remapped with the 160 and informed my insurers. They asked what sort of difference it would make, I simply said it would improve the drive-ability and safety pulling out at junctions. There was no extra charge for that, or the tow ball I also declared.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2021, 23:40   #43
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I would think it would be harder for someone that purchases a 75/ZT Diesel for the 1st time and has no idea that the ECU has been mapped. I had no idea mine had been mapped till Trikey tried to do it for me and the T4 flashed up that is has already been done.
Has to be hard to prove to the insurance that you had no idea that it had been done.
Old 18th April 2021, 13:17   #44
Ray L
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

I used to be insured with Tesco but when I had my 131 cdti re-mapped to 160 they refused further cover.

Going on comparison sites proved LV= the most competitive, although it meant
a cost increase of of 30% (about £100 p.a.).

Each year I go on comparison sites, I am always asked "Has the car been modified", when you state "yes, engine re-map", the next question is " by what %?" When you say "to 160" many companies refuse cover, so it reduces your options.

Each year I go through the same process. I have tried Adrian Flux, they refused
to insure me, even though I have a perfect insurance history, (their business loss).
Ray L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 13:33   #45
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Think the trouble is mention remap and most insurers lump you into the same category as some dweeb with a Renault Clio covered in Halfords go faster bits. They just see the percentage increase and think its a go faster mod and not something that improves the overall driveability.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 13:49   #46
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray L View Post
I used to be insured with Tesco but when I had my 131 cdti re-mapped to 160 they refused further cover.

Going on comparison sites proved LV= the most competitive, although it meant
a cost increase of of 30% (about £100 p.a.).

Each year I go on comparison sites, I am always asked "Has the car been modified", when you state "yes, engine re-map", the next question is " by what %?" When you say "to 160" many companies refuse cover, so it reduces your options.

Each year I go through the same process. I have tried Adrian Flux, they refused
to insure me, even though I have a perfect insurance history, (their business loss).
mmmmm why do Adrian Flux refuse to insure you? They are very good for modified cars and I am insured via them with a remapped car and some 15 odd other modifications to the car.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 15:20   #47
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

if I understood what you have said then It could be that you are telling them that you have increased the power output by 160% making the output for a 114 at 296bhp or the 131 to 340bhp.
The actual power increase for the 114 is 40% and the 131 is 22%
Old 18th April 2021, 15:38   #48
Ray L
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
mmmmm why do Adrian Flux refuse to insure you? They are very good for modified cars and I am insured via them with a remapped car and some 15 odd other modifications to the car.

macafee2
You tell me. It's a puzzle. There loss!
Old 18th April 2021, 15:42   #49
Ray L
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post

if I understood what you have said then It could be that you are telling them that you have increased the power output by 160% making the output for a 114 at 296bhp or the 131 to 340bhp.
The actual power increase for the 114 is 40% and the 131 is 22%

You have misunderstood. I advise them TO 160 bhp.
Old 21st April 2021, 07:55   #50
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
I would think it would be harder for someone that purchases a 75/ZT Diesel for the 1st time and has no idea that the ECU has been mapped. I had no idea mine had been mapped till Trikey tried to do it for me and the T4 flashed up that is has already been done.
Has to be hard to prove to the insurance that you had no idea that it had been done.
If it drives like a dog, then it is unmodified. The 160 makes it very a very drivable car.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote