Old 9th April 2021, 17:57   #21
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
You won't have read how he saved people from being bombed or the two airmen he saved then? He was lucky enough to become the husband to the Queen, she pursued him against the advice of the people in power back then. It's true he had many trappings of the Royal life but, he worked well into his 90's and his last duty was in the pouring rain. There are many hangers on in the Royals but this man wasn't one of them, he earned his keep and was a war hero in reality, his award scheme has helped many people have better lives since the 50's because he actually cared enough to do something, that's not the actions of an aloof person. I think that this time you're wrong in your opinion and his service to this country deserves better.

Hi Michael.
It is up to the club owners to turn the banner black, i was and am only giving my opinion on why should it.

Call him an hero and quote his last duty was standing in the rain it's a far cry from working in the mines at the coal face, or working in an hot furnace, and going home to hardly any food on the table, also quote him as an hero to those that were at Dunkirk etc, one being my grandfather whom also had no time for the royal family.

Why they married each other ? who knows, but he was introduced to his cousin the queen at aged 13 she being 8 you can bet your bottom dollar the social climbing Mountbatten's more or less started from then to make sure they got together.

Anyways i am not out for an argument with anyone on the forum over someone whom i never personally knew, what i do know he did not give any
contribution to this club.

What will be will be.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Old 9th April 2021, 18:41   #22
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Michael.
It is up to the club owners to turn the banner black, , what i do know he did not give any
contribution to this club.
Not strictly true. As President of the RAC he supported an organisation which still campaigns for motorists, unlike the AA which only wants to sell its insurance and other products for profit.
Old 9th April 2021, 18:58   #23
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Not strictly true. As President of the RAC he supported an organisation which still campaigns for motorists, unlike the AA which only wants to sell its insurance and other products for profit.[/QUOTE
]

Hi Malcolm.
good evening to you and hope you are keeping well and safe, now lets not twist and turn the reason to my question Why.

It matter not one jot that he was the President of the RAC, it still remains he did not pay any subs to this club, nor did he start or post on any of the threads, he did not help solve any of our problems with our cars, in fact he was not a member.

Therefore just being someone of high nobility does not mean he deserves the right to have the banner turned black, no more than my uncle whom passed away two days ago, the only thing my uncle had to do with a Rover 75 MGZT was being driven to and from pub in one, by me his personal taxi.

But as i say it's up to the owners they own the club not me or you, we only contribute to it staying at the top of google search

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Old 9th April 2021, 19:18   #24
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

This thread was created to pay respects to a man who served this country for 80 years in a military capacity and at the Queen's side as the Prince Consort. Lets keep it at that.

T4 Location Map
Old 9th April 2021, 19:57   #25
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Driving back from Harwich this afternoon, it was nice to see flags at half mast on church towers.

RIP.
Old 9th April 2021, 20:01   #26
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Man was a legend and I often wonder if he liked putting his foot in things at times, I suspect he’d a good laugh about it
Old 9th April 2021, 20:02   #27
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

[QUOTE=Arctic;2875971]
Quote:
]

in fact he was not a member.
.... that you know of lol

but I agree with you regarding the banner (by the same logic non subscribed members should be allowed to advertise cars or parts for sale, or discussing political matters, if so, I did read the Royal College are considering asking Sinn Fein to arrange the funeral).

I have no feelings on the man himself, as he and the rest of the Royal family, have no consequence on my life, other than a begrudging respect for what must have been a pretty restrained or restricted existence.

Anything I have read previously, always seemed to jar against what the press had reported (eg the Duke of Edinburgh awards or his work ethics, albeit sometimes questionable attitudes, jars against the various faux pas comments he made at official gatherings).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 9th April 2021, 20:05   #28
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
This thread was created to pay respects to a man who served this country for 80 years in a military capacity and at the Queen's side as the Prince Consort. Lets keep it at that.
Surely his active military career ended February 1952? The next 66 years would have been a figurehead

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 9th April 2021, 21:57   #29
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Driving back from Harwich this afternoon, it was nice to see flags at half mast on church towers.

RIP.
This evening the church bell was tolling in our village.
A moving token of respect, which made me feel proud of our British culture.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Let the good times roll............

Old 9th April 2021, 22:05   #30
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

An outstanding performance in supporting Our Queen. His support to organizations and many citizens hopefully giving him "hold your head up Sir" bonus points, regardless of our varied opinions. What an innings.
Closed Thread