Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st September 2017, 15:38   #21
sundancer

Rover 75 1.8 Club Tourer, Rover 25 & MG ZR

All sorted and shes back on the road and the head gasket seems to have escaped failure this time.

I found some very interesting stuff by doing the job myself, and needless to say i wont be using the mechanic that did the previous cambelt change again

Upon inspection i found cheap Chinese auxiliary belts, the cambelt tensioner was setup incorrectly putting far too much tension on the belt which explains why the pump failed so early and the bearing on the tensioner was as rough a bears derrière

The timing was a tooth out on the crank, and the pump had been fitted with black RTV sealant rather than properly cleaning out the aperture the pump fitted into. The lack of circulation was caused by the fact the water took the path of least resistance and was leaving out the side of the pump from the failed pump seal rather than actually going round the water system.

It now has a new 82c PRT thermostat, Genuine MG Rover timing belt, tensioner and water pump and is fitted with quality auxiliary belts (land Rover & Gates branded) and filled with G13 Si -OAT antifreeze/coolant with de-ionized water.

Its booked in for MOT next week end, i just hope its all been worth it as if it fails on anything major i'll be gutted. I'll be checking my ZRs engine next week to see if hes made the same mistake on that.
sundancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 15:55   #22
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer View Post
All sorted and shes back on the road and the head gasket seems to have escaped failure this time.

I found some very interesting stuff by doing the job myself, and needless to say i wont be using the mechanic that did the previous cambelt change again

Upon inspection i found cheap Chinese auxiliary belts, the cambelt tensioner was setup incorrectly putting far too much tension on the belt which explains why the pump failed so early and the bearing on the tensioner was as rough a bears derrière

The timing was a tooth out on the crank, and the pump had been fitted with black RTV sealant rather than properly cleaning out the aperture the pump fitted into. The lack of circulation was caused by the fact the water took the path of least resistance and was leaving out the side of the pump from the failed pump seal rather than actually going round the water system.

It now has a new 82c PRT thermostat, Genuine MG Rover timing belt, tensioner and water pump and is fitted with quality auxiliary belts (land Rover & Gates branded) and filled with G13 Si -OAT antifreeze/coolant with de-ionized water.

Its booked in for MOT next week end, i just hope its all been worth it as if it fails on anything major i'll be gutted. I'll be checking my ZRs engine next week to see if hes made the same mistake on that.
Thats crazy, so he hadnt dont the job properly at all? how long did you say you'd used him?
Have you spoken about these issues? its why im reluctant to use anyone but myself to do jobs on cars, i know sometimes its a pure ball ache but at least you know you've done it right.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 15:55   #23
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Well done Nick for changing your mind about this:
Quote:
The water pump & new belts were fitted by a mechanic friend who i have known and trusted for a very long time, he rarely makes mistakes and knows the K series like the back of his hand ...
You sound extremely competent so I hope that you will continue to look after your car personally and save a lot of money and hassle in the process.

Simon
Old 21st September 2017, 16:08   #24
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
All sorted and shes back on the road and the head gasket seems.............................d into.

The lack of circulation was caused by the fact the water took the path of least resistance and was leaving out the side of the pump from the failed pump seal rather than actually going round the water system.

...........................................mistake on that.

I have lost you on this one.
But I am glad you have sorted it out.

I am at the moment struggling with a JAG SR, where some real monkeys have been before. They have stripped threads in the aluminium, tightened all screws so hard that even new torx bits break. I have had to weld nuts on 5 bolts in the engine to get them out.
There is silicone all over the show, the pulley has spun on the crank and I have to regrind it. And in order to remove the pulley, they have used some tool against the front timing cover, and cracked it.
The crack they have "repaired" with Q-bond and covered with yet more silicone!
I was wondering why the engine was smothered in oil. Now I know! That repair never would work!
I'll get it right, but believe me, there is one black, dark and ugly mechanic out there I would like to have a quiet word with.
So I feel for you!

Last edited by kaiser; 21st September 2017 at 16:10..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 23:29   #25
sundancer

He was always a good competent mechanic, I have used him for well over 15 years and this is the first time i have had any issues with him. I think since hes getting on for 60 that hes just on auto pilot now.

I have just repaired the car and I will just stay quiet on this one as he has been a good friend for a long time and that's the way i would like to keep it. He has a lot of knowledge, i just think his love for the job has gone now as its getting harder each time to get him to actually work on anything. Time to put him to pasture i think.
Old 27th September 2017, 18:13   #26
sundancer

I spoke too soon, Total head gasket failure occurred on Monday evening.

Overheated again, and this time there is oil and water mixing. I will let the garage next door to where its being stored do a quick pre-MOT check to see if its worth saving
Old 27th September 2017, 20:37   #27
SD1too

Quote:
... do a quick pre-MOT check to see if its worth saving
Of course it's worth saving Nick!

Simon
Old 31st January 2018, 00:35   #28
sundancer

I finally had a bit of spare time so i got the head off and got it skimmed, put it back together with a new gasket set and bolts and changed the PRT for new one.

All running nicely except for one valve lifter that doesn't seem to want to quieten down. I will try one of those lifter liquids, if that doesn't work looks like a full set of new lifters, but that will be another day.

I also sorted the fuel leak out in the tank which turned out to be a badly fitted seal by the last owner. I also fitted the Orange clip to filter/pump unit on the passenger side as it didn't appear to have one as well as two new seals.

Also fitted new downpipe as the old one was blowing a bit on the flexi joint.

I MOT'd her after spending hours tracking down an airbag fault which turned out to be a faulty connector on the drivers seat which just got soldered together. She flew through and is now back in daily use

The wife has been relegated to the 25

Its took a few months to sort it out but its great to have her back on the road
Old 31st January 2018, 08:40   #29
SD1too

Thanks for posting details of your successful repairs Nick. It’s nice to read about happy endings like this.

Simon
Old 31st January 2018, 10:57   #30
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

I do hope all your troubles are behind you now, and you can enjoy your car, taking pleasure knowing you have worked hard to bring it up to spec. You have a great car, I wish you happy motoring.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote