Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th May 2020, 11:25   #11
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Could it be the 'Slack Tappet Simulator' (STS) as I call it?
Click: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...rchid=17845112

TC
Link isn't working TC.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2020, 15:09   #12
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

I think I solved the mystery I think it was simply low on oil I know it sounds stupid but the dipstick showed full and yes I was following mgr procedure and I was on a flat surface I think kv6 dipsticks can't be trusted I drained about 4l oil plus some on the floor out I also did drain the oil filter on my drain tub by piercing it at the bottom just to be sure. If anything 0w-40 will lubricate the tappets quicker than 10w-40 besides that that's what Mobil recommends for the 75 and I've seen other kv6 owners suggesting it but let's not start an oil dispute. I'll see how the car behaves now and I'll report back!
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2020, 15:11   #13
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Link isn't working TC.
It was working earlier but you're right it's not anymore
Old 30th May 2020, 15:19   #14
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos.m View Post
.... I think it was simply low on oil I know it sounds stupid but the dipstick showed full and yes I was following mgr procedure and I was on a flat surface I think kv6 dipsticks can't be trusted ....
The KV6 dipstick is notoriously difficult to read. I think it drags on the tube as you withdraw it and that gives a false level, regardless of whether you've followed MGR procedure or not.

A bit of string with a weight on the end would probably be more accurate!
Old 30th May 2020, 16:02   #15
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Honestly they are rubbish I put exactly 5.2 liters of oil which should the put oil exactly on level and I measured 5 times each time I got a different reading
Old 30th May 2020, 17:58   #16
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Well the tick came back so it wasn't just the oil maybe the time for engine tear down is coming could perhaps my car be affected by the oil pickup tube issue ?

Last edited by thanos.m; 30th May 2020 at 18:51..
Old 30th May 2020, 21:31   #17
wizzo337
Loves to post

mg zt

Hi.
I have a ticking lifter on my 1.8 ZS. Fortunately I have about 32 spare ones so set about cleaning a set today. Quite easy to take apart really. Just get yourself a sturdy glove and sharply whack the removed lifter open side down onto a block of wood or a folded newspaper. The lifter part will come straight out, it's only held in with a spring clip. You can then take it apart and clean it. You simply pull the two halves apart and give them a good clean with scotchbrite. Do the same with the bucket part, make sure the little hole in the side of the bucket is clear by blowing through it, and reassemble.
Prior to fit I like to whack the lifter part out and fill the upturned bucket with oil before popping the lifter back in. Then stick it back in the head. They fill faster that way and run nice and quiet. Any that have blocked feed holes or won't come out of the bucket are no good. I intend to do some replacement work next week and will post my results.
I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow. Time permitting.
wizzo337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2020, 22:14   #18
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I had the same issue with my V6 Freelander. I used a stethoscope to narrow it down to the L/H (front) head. When doing a cam belt change and replacement of a damaged camshaft I tried replacing four of the tappets closest to where the noise was (Cheapskate-should have changed the lot and saved myself trouble!) Of course that didn't solve the problem so I ended up replacing the head with a new one (Rimmers had them on very cheap) and that finally sorted it out.
Old 31st May 2020, 10:54   #19
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
I had the same issue with my V6 Freelander. I used a stethoscope to narrow it down to the L/H (front) head. When doing a cam belt change and replacement of a damaged camshaft I tried replacing four of the tappets closest to where the noise was (Cheapskate-should have changed the lot and saved myself trouble!) Of course that didn't solve the problem so I ended up replacing the head with a new one (Rimmers had them on very cheap) and that finally sorted it out.
I see I don't think its worth going to such an extent with mine to be honest this could potentially be the end of it if I have to go down that route as it seems like I went from having a sorted car to pretty much everything going wrong all at once within 2 weeks time. I have a full rear suspension refresh coming today and the car would have been pretty much top notch and within the last few days the I got knock from the front a gearbox leak and the tappet tick. Edit: and then today it stated up perfectly quiet no tick no nothing ughhh this car knows how to wind me up

Last edited by thanos.m; 31st May 2020 at 11:38..
Old 31st May 2020, 11:59   #20
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos.m View Post
.... Edit: and then today it stated up perfectly quiet no tick no nothing ...
Surely that rules out a tappet problem? (i.e. the tick would happen every time if the tappets were causing it).

Either way, you could get all 24 lifters from DMGRS for £99.99, or 1 lifter for £4.99 (other quantity options as well), see dropdown here.

Rimmers prices at #16 here & here.