Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd August 2009, 17:23   #11
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Plenty of room, still leaves 70Gb free space. An external drive for a backup of your data perhaps. As you know anything can go wrong and probably will at some time. External USB 2 Hard Drives are pretty cheap these days. Should be plug and play, as opposed to plug and pray, which always used to be the case on Windows.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 3rd August 2009 at 17:26..
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 17:34   #12
Rover418275
Banned

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Why 2 drives?

Well the way I see it, is that it enable you to park more 75s and ZTs on your property........
Rover418275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 17:54   #13
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Both have over 100 gig free so I figured that 30 gig wouldn't make that much difference to the machines is that correct? Would I be better off getting an external hard drive?

Is an external hard drive just plug and play?

Thanks for helping me out on this :lol:
Hi Ken

70Gb is a huge amount of space but no doubt you'll add to this in time.

I would still opt for an External Hard Drive because if anything goes wrong with your Laptop or Netbook & it has to be returned under warranty (assuming it is still under warranty), they will not save your data !

Unfortunately, this is the owner/users responsibility so it makes sense to put it on an external drive in the first place.

I would even go as far as burning any important data to DVD (you should have a dual-layer DVD re-writer in your Laptop). This means that you could backup all your albums/pics etc onto some DVD discs.

With Windows XP/Vista & the about to be released Windows 7, all USB devices are Plug & Play.

After you plug the device in, you'll see a "Found New Hardware" notification on the bottom right hand corner of the Taskbar (screen).

Give it a few moments & it will inform you that your new hardware is "Ready To Use"

If you take a look in My Computer (XP) or Computer (Vista), you'll see an extra drive letter (it may say Mass Storage device)

I always recommend that with important data, you can never have too many backups !

Regards

Mike
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 17:55   #14
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover418275 View Post
Well the way I see it, is that it enable you to park more 75s and ZTs on your property........
Ha ha, I like that.....A LOT !!!!!!
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:00   #15
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
Ha ha, I like that.....A LOT !!!!!!
It took me 30s to see it

Thanks to everyone for their help, just for a change I understood everything

Thanks all

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 08:06   #16
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

The wonderful thing about not supplying the OS CD but putting it on a partition of the HD is that if the HD fails you have no OS for the new disk - so you have to buy a new HD and an OS.
moonstoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 19:14   #17
gmax333
Avid contributor

MG ZT 1.8T

Most laptops now have two equal sized partitions C: & D: both of which can be used. Usually there is a third hidden partition which you wouldn't see in My Computer however its there, you'd be able to view it in Fdisk. The only reason i can see for this is so you can transfer over your files before you do a system re-install.
gmax333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 09:47   #18
ericvincent

MG ZT

It depends you, how many partition you wants on your your hard drive. Currently I have 80GB hard drive and I have made 60 partition in it.
Old 26th September 2009, 11:29   #19
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmax333 View Post
Most laptops now have two equal sized partitions C: & D: both of which can be used. Usually there is a third hidden partition which you wouldn't see in My Computer however its there, you'd be able to view it in Fdisk. The only reason i can see for this is so you can transfer over your files before you do a system re-install.
Mine is like that, has a C and D drive. I use the D drive for storing photos and the C drive for everything else. I have two external drives for backup as well.
An advantage of the split for me is that maintenance of the C drive is much quicker.

WRT OS disks. I had to make back up disks for both this and my previous laptop when I first got them just in case, as per the instructions that came with them.
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 15:31   #20
Mac_rouser
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon and 75 Tourer

As folks have said, many new machines come with Windows pre-installed and no CD(s) provided. Some, if not all computers and lappies have a CD burner as standard, so it is not a bad idea to locate the hidden back up files usually found on the partitioned drive, and back these files to a CD.

Word up .. as we all know operating systems fail for whatever reason, blue screen of death, corrupt files or a virus attack, when this happens it is C: drive that always falls over, often times unrecoverable resulting in lost data. For that reason alone, we never use C: drive for any of our files, work, music, family foto albums, word docs and even email, always we default to the partition or a second drive for everything.
Leaving C: drive to look after just the operating system and installed software - and nothing else.
An image of C: means it can be re-installed in minutes with no loss of valuable files.

Take care
Mac
Mac_rouser is offline   Reply With Quote