Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th August 2022, 20:17   #1
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default The cursed MGZT 190-Whirring engine noise and more!

Dear All
The curse of the MGZT strikes again! I think the heat yesterday as I drove around Rochdale ( I know, it usually rains up north and particulary in Lancashire!!) played havoc with my 190!! My 95 year old mother in law thought my car was silky quiet but I was taking her to Specsavers for a hearing test and she discovered she is completely deaf. Hearing aids and a hospital appointment for her!
Last week I waited patiently, in the heat, for my mother in law close to Specsavers and a friendly traffic warden introduced himself and said he had lots of new spares from my car in his garage I could have!

Meanwhile my trip to sunny Rochdale continued.....

My clutch judder got worse but not quite as bad today, The gear change got more difficult in the afternoon and I will check if there is any fluid in the clutch master cylinder (hints and tips on how to replace one will be gratefully recieved! Plus, how to do it quickly before our 39th wedding anniversary, I have spent too much time lately fixing cars!!). Not sure about my engine rattle from cold, the change of oil/grade doesnt seem to have made a difference, yet. I have another rattle as I drive along which sounds like a loose heat sheild and isnt the cat or a centre cap, I have had a good look but havent found anything hanging off my car, yet!

Good news today, MOT'd Jackie TF with no advisories but a guy reversed into my car! Need to find a new passenger side rear LED light but I do have a brand new bumper, in primer in my garage, I must have half an new car in there!

The passing of my close friend and teaching colleague today puts all these things in perspective.
Best wishes and keep cool, especially if your air con works!

Bob

Last edited by Bob Walker; 11th August 2022 at 20:19.. Reason: Typos
Bob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2022, 10:58   #2
Savestones
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Walker View Post
I have another rattle as I drive along which sounds like a loose heat sheild and isnt the cat or a centre cap, I have had a good look but havent found anything hanging off my car, yet!

Could it be some pulley or wheel around the auxillary belt? I have been meaning to run my engine for a second without the aux belt on to see if my rattle is from one of the wheels turning poorly, I might have been a bit too heavy handed putting in my new alternator the incorrect way .

And is it different from the inlet manifold rattle?

Lovely read by the way, gave me a good chuckle
Savestones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2022, 14:30   #3
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Changed the cat on my 2000 v6 - transformed the car, now everything is so quiet, wished I had done it when I bought the car a year ago.

The noise just seemed to come from anywhere and everywhere, so difficult to diagnose - ultimately getting underneath the car and tapping the cats with the handle of a lump hammer was the best way in my case.
Costa Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2022, 18:41   #4
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default The cursed MGZT

Think I have found the whirring noise, failed clutch!! Happened yesterday : ( Booked in garage on 25th August to find out what is going on!! Not a happy bunny. Tony Banks had his big hammer on my cat and it is definately not the cat!! Rattle might be something to do with the clutch, the plate has only been on the car for 12 months!!!!
Best wishes to all
Bob
Old 15th August 2022, 07:54   #5
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Walker View Post
Think I have found the whirring noise, failed clutch!! Happened yesterday : ( Booked in garage on 25th August to find out what is going on!! Not a happy bunny. Tony Banks had his big hammer on my cat and it is definately not the cat!! Rattle might be something to do with the clutch, the plate has only been on the car for 12 months!!!!
Best wishes to all
Bob

A whirring sound from the clutch area is usually a sign of the slave cylinder on its way out, sometimes, but not always, accompanied by fluid loss.

A rattling sound from the clutch area can be from a worn dual mass clutch flywheel.

When you said............." the plate has only been on the car for 12 months!! "........... do you mean the clutch friction plate ? and was only the plate changed ?

What is the mileage on the car ?

I forgot to mention that the friction plate can also be the cause of a rattle, but this is rare.

Last edited by Ducati750cc; 15th August 2022 at 08:03..
Ducati750cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2022, 15:08   #6
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

A dual mass will chatter on idle - my car had a full clutch and dmf shortly before I bought it at 88k.
Costa Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2022, 11:31   #7
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default My Clutch

Hi Ducati 750
I change the DMF, slave cylinder and plate all at once, 12 months ago.
Boobked in garage next week, I will tell you what happens.
Bob