Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th December 2015, 00:52   #1
Stag>75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5

Default 260 with lowered springs

I am considering one here in Australia that has lowered springs (So the owner says) . Apparently it was bought new by the current owner that way, whether MG Rover did or the dealer in Australia did it the owner is not sure.

If I were to buy it and wanted to put the height back to standard spec should it just be a matter of just changing the springs or is there more to it. And does anyone know if the ride of the standard springs is much softer than the lowered ones?
Stag>75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 07:29   #2
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

I would says that it will be easy enough to put back to standard but you may have to fit new shocks as well as springs. If the lowering was done properly (and depending on how much lower it is) shorter shocks may have been fitted too.
Lowering springs are usually firmer so it's highly likely that returning it to standard would improve the plushness of the ride.

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 08:26   #3
Stag>75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by freck View Post
you may have to fit new shocks as well as springs. If the lowering was done properly (and depending on how much lower it is) shorter shocks may have been fitted too.
I wondered whether different shocks may be part of the deal. And what about camber, I would have thought that camber would alter with height?
Old 9th December 2015, 08:48   #4
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag>75 View Post
I wondered whether different shocks may be part of the deal. And what about camber, I would have thought that camber would alter with height?
As with any suspension modifications you should have a full 4 wheel alignment carried out afterwards.
I don't know whether you'd need to do any other modifications, it'll depend on what had been done previously. An alignment will be able to highlight if camber/castor etc has been changed from the original spec.

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 10:13   #5
Dominic22
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V8 Plus Others

What colour are the springs?. There was a couple of lowering springs that were done. A yellow set that were from a company in Australia. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-MGZT-V8...item2c62ec6f1c that the standard Shocks were used,so you could just replace with standard springs Which the review from a member was not great....

"I bought a set of lowering springs from King Springs Australia(of all places) of Ebay.
They were suppose to lower the car 30-35mm but didn't, only lowered the car 15mm. Also, they are not the right diameter and they are to short so when riding over bumps you can hear them move around. Had a long discussion with them but they claim the car they made them for had a original ride height of 415mm! I tried explaining to them the right ride height is 398mm but they wouldn't listen. It felt like they could not except that the springs are wrongly made."

There was a VHS kit that was done http://www.vehiclehandlingsolutions....rs.htm#mgzt260 by Andy who did a lot of the suspension work for MG/Rover and still does it for SIAC whiich was great.

I think there was another set but cant quite recall those.
Dominic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 18:58   #6
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

The car is very low as it is. The sump is vulnerable, if anything raise it rather.

Smacked sump, blown air bags, just not worth it.
Old 10th December 2015, 06:38   #7
Stag>75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5

Thanks all. It has been sold so it's academic now.
Old 10th December 2015, 18:38   #8
190SETOURING
Posted a thing or two

MG ZTT 180se,MG ZT 260se Monogram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag>75 View Post
Thanks all. It has been sold so it's academic now.
Would of been nice to see a pic of it.
190SETOURING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 01:37   #9
Stag>75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190SETOURING View Post
Would of been nice to see a pic of it.
It was black with sunroof etc. One owner. Paint on roof and bonnet had apparently faded (Was 2000KM from where I live so I was unable to view it). Apparently it had a different chip in it to make it faster? Anyway I had the opportunity and didn't move fast enough. If I were to have a 260 this would have been it as it was an automatic, only 2 in Australia and one in New Zealand as I recall.