Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th May 2016, 19:04   #1
oldie
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

Default Help and advice please

Help and advice please.

Firstly, does any one have any information about this car:

http://beechhillgarage.com/listing/2...8-connoisseur/

Secondly, what are the cons of the v8. I'm familiar with the general issues of Rover 75 love but I'm inclined to believe that forewarned, by knowledge people, is forearmed.

By cons I mean servicing and mechanical issues, reliability etc. I expect running costs to be greater than that of the v6. However they ought to be offset by other pleasures of ownership. Hopefully somebody can assist/advise.
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 20:11   #2
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

It's 605 and I don't have any info suggesting its been miss used. Have a read of the sticky thread at the top of this V8 forum as that will give you some pointers. Funny thing is its not that different maintenance cost wise to a V6. Most of the rare bits we have covered over on the Two Sixties.

When you go to view have a good look at the rear subframe, boot well and battery.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 21:54   #3
oldie
Loves to post

Thank you Tim. One thing further. Do you know if there is any difference, other than the interior trim, between the Connoisseur and Contemporary models? The v6 Contemporary is available with a slightly stiffer suspension set-up than the Connoisseur.
Old 7th May 2016, 09:46   #4
AndyG
Passed Away

MG ZTT400 SHM

MG ZT260 FAQ http://www.spunagain.co.uk/ZT260page.html

MG ZT/ZT-T 260 and Rover 75 V8 Buyers Guide http://www9.mg-cars.org.uk/mgoc260/f...8-Buyers-Guide

MG Owners: Where do you go from here? http://two-sixties-blog.com/2011/05/...-go-from-here/

List of ZT(T)260/75V8(T) FOR SALE: http://www9.mg-cars.org.uk/mgoc260/f...5-V8s-FOR-SALE

Good Luck
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 16:07   #5
Dominic22
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V8 Plus Others

Other than cosmetic the set-up is the same between both 75 v8's. Both use the same suspension set-up which is similar to the 260 other than the Shock absorbers are adjusted by Bilstein for the softer ride of the 75.

If you wanted a Connoisseur SE to look like a Contemporary SE or vice versa that is not as easy as the regular 75 due the the unavailability of parts of the interior dash trim etc
Dominic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 18:58   #6
oldie
Loves to post

Do you know which of the following it may be possible to exchange: seats, door cards, transmission tunnel, under-dash trim (i.e. glove box etc.)? I prefer the design of the Contemporary. However I have never seen one for sale.
Old 7th May 2016, 20:53   #7
oldie
Loves to post

Took a trip to view today. Interesting. Had a look underneath at the rear and snapped a couple of pics. Not sure what I should be checking.

Although the garage was closed a very helpful member of staff took time out from working on his personal project car to show me the Rover. Starting and driving and spending his own time to help me. Top man.

The car has a charging fault warning not the product of a slipping belt. Interior trim not quite in the first order. I had the impression that the rear bumper has been replaced and is insecure on one side. Documents refer to issues regarding leaky radiator and washer bottle. Also drop-links and anti-roll bar have required attention recently. The greatest entertainment was revealed in the boot. A lovely traditional little pond, lapping the bottom of the battery. Judging by the mass of mastic around the side trim securing screws this is a long standing, unresolved problem.
Old 7th May 2016, 22:38   #8
Dominic22
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V8 Plus Others

Blimey there have not done much to get it ready for sale.
Dominic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 00:28   #9
AndyG
Passed Away

MG ZTT400 SHM

I have "605 BU04 UEN Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE V8 (Matthew Pinsent)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...r%20v8&f=false
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 10:05   #10
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

There's nothing there that's not repairable, boils down to price and if you have the time to sort out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post
Took a trip to view today. Interesting. Had a look underneath at the rear and snapped a couple of pics. Not sure what I should be checking.

Although the garage was closed a very helpful member of staff took time out from working on his personal project car to show me the Rover. Starting and driving and spending his own time to help me. Top man.

The car has a charging fault warning not the product of a slipping belt. Interior trim not quite in the first order. I had the impression that the rear bumper has been replaced and is insecure on one side. Documents refer to issues regarding leaky radiator and washer bottle. Also drop-links and anti-roll bar have required attention recently. The greatest entertainment was revealed in the boot. A lovely traditional little pond, lapping the bottom of the battery. Judging by the mass of mastic around the side trim securing screws this is a long standing, unresolved problem.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote