Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th May 2017, 09:33   #1
Ozjensen
Regular poster

Rover 75 V8 Saloon #755 now sold

Default Moving a car without MOT or Tax - Advice Please

Hi - being new to the UK need some guidance. I have just bought a Rover that has not had a MOT or Road Tax for three years and has not been delcared SORN. The car is perfectly drivable and I want to move it 150 miles for work to be done on it.

Can I buy a temporary licence/tax to drive the car - or is the only option to put it on a trailer.

If the latter is there a member who can offer a trailer service from Canary Wharf to Bicester - will pay of course.

Thanks

Tony
Ozjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 09:36   #2
Freebyrd
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozjensen View Post
Hi - being new to the UK need some guidance. I have just bought a Rover that has not had a MOT or Road Tax for three years and has not been delcared SORN. The car is perfectly drivable and I want to move it 150 miles for work to be done on it.

Can I buy a temporary licence/tax to drive the car - or is the only option to put it on a trailer.

If the latter is there a member who can offer a trailer service from Canary Wharf to Bicester - will pay of course.

Thanks

Tony
Trailer. You cannot get Road Tax without an MOT, and therefore, cannot drive it on the public highway.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:07   #3
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebyrd View Post
Trailer. You cannot get Road Tax without an MOT, and therefore, cannot drive it on the public highway.
Out of interest, can you tow a car on its wheels without tax/MOT, or is that illegal ?
Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 10:25   #4
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Out of interest, can you tow a car on its wheels without tax/MOT, or is that illegal ?
Pete
It's on the highway, therefore it has to be legal. The car has to be not on the road, ie, back of a trailer or lorry with all wheels off the road.

Born; Wednesday, 3rd October 2001 @ 16:00:16
The 34,336th 75 to run off the production line of 112,381
This was the 4,730th 75 CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 10,898
This was the 2,647th 75 in White Gold Metallic (code: GMN) to be made out of 12,251 White Gold Metallic 75s

To do
MK2 dials with IPK, FBH repair, headlining repair (again!) and some cosmetics.
Seanalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 10:26   #5
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Towing it would be completely legal but I'm not sure if it's OK on a motorway, and given your intended distance motorway is likely to be involved. Easy to check though. Lee.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:55   #6
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
Towing it would be completely legal but I'm not sure if it's OK on a motorway, and given your intended distance motorway is likely to be involved. Easy to check though. Lee.
Nope, the car as a minimum would have to be insured, it is only legal to tow a car without an MOT if you are taking it to a pre-arranged MOT appointment, but it would still require RFL. You can only tow with a rigid bar and the driver of the towed car would have to be a license holder and insured on the car.

If the car has wheels on the ground to be towed, it has to be fully road legal.

This was the 2,647th 75 in White Gold Metallic (code: GMN) to be made out of 12,251 White Gold Metallic 75s

To do
Old 24th May 2017, 11:02   #7
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Also, if you use a "Dolly" Trailer, two wheels off the ground, and you don't have the relevant towing qualification on your license, the vehicle is treated as a trailer and you can only tow a maximum of 750kg, so you would be breaking the law that way too.

Basically, it's on a lorry or trailer with the right license to tow.

To do
Old 24th May 2017, 11:06   #8
Dominic22
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V8 Plus Others

Tony I have a few people I use who are really good. The last one I moved was this Sunday as I wanted it quickly, from Heathrow area to the midlands and was £135 for 158 miles. That was booked via Uship

I would put it on Shiply and uship and let people bid on it, expect to pay approx £1 a mile alternative, drop me an email and I will give you a couple of people I use regularly who are great.
Dominic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 11:27   #9
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebyrd View Post
This, as several later posts are incorrect. You can drive a car without MOT or road fund licence - to a pre-booked MOT and back or to where booked for repairs to meet MOT standard. The vehicle must be roadworthy at the time it is driven. e.g. if the lights don't work then can't be done if you would need the lights like at night or in bad weather. However I suspect a dim view would be taken by the police if stopped halfway from Southampton to Edinburgh - if you are confident of it's ability to pass an MOT then booking a test near where you buy the car is a good idea, once MOT'd you can then tax it.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 11:43   #10
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
This, as several later posts are incorrect. You can drive a car without MOT or road fund licence - to a pre-booked MOT and back or to where booked for repairs to meet MOT standard. The vehicle must be roadworthy at the time it is driven. e.g. if the lights don't work then can't be done if you would need the lights like at night or in bad weather. However I suspect a dim view would be taken by the police if stopped halfway from Southampton to Edinburgh - if you are confident of it's ability to pass an MOT then booking a test near where you buy the car is a good idea, once MOT'd you can then tax it.
You can tow a car to an MOT station to get the work done or to a pre-booked appointment, correct, but to do that, the car must be taxed and insured. You cannot drive or tow a car on a public highway under any circumstances if it is not taxed or insured.

Also, it has to be the most direct route to the MOT station.

To do

Last edited by Seanalf; 24th May 2017 at 11:46..