Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th October 2018, 06:00   #11
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

If you drive a diesel and use Asda diesel the fuel is known to be a poor quality and not everyone who drives diesel cars
A. Use injector cleaner
B. Give them a blast to clear the muck out so the car might be totally looked after but unaware of any smoke problems minding their own business from the "Im better than you" brigade.
Yes there are plenty of old diesel tubs about but just because a petrol car isnt smoking doesnt mean its not a polluter. Besides some people are on hard times and drive what best they can afford and theres no shame in that.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 07:28   #12
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I'll always have a diesel, can't be doing with these wasteful folk in their petrol guzzlers. By the way, F1 should be good this weekend
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 07:37   #13
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

I have a diesel...... (ok, not a zt/rover)..... and it doesn't leave a whiff of anything from the back.

On the flip side..... my Ztt 190 passed it's emissions with ZERO Co2..... can I get a reduction in the car tax please !!??!!
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 08:45   #14
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Hi, I've got the 75 and a kia ceed diesel. The kia having a dpf and a working egr valve produces no smoke on start up or at any other time that I have seen. The price differential between petrol and diesel seems to be getting wider. In the good old days when we had a house in France, staying there for the majority of the years was so good as the diesel was about 60% of the cost of petrol. I really don't want to be forced to buy pertrol.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 12:29   #15
visfix
Gets stuck in

Peugeot 508 GT

Maybe I'm missing the point, but what's the beef?
I regularly do a 400 mile round trip in my diesel on only a teaspoon of fuel, but don't feel the need to post a snidey comment about thirsty V6 petrol cars ruining my journey.

visfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 12:50   #16
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I must admit I am surprised how quick my new (to me) n/a 2.0 petrol car is.... now I have remembered you have to just push the right hand pedal harder that is... This is the first car I have had for 20? years that doesn't have a turbo so it has been a bit of an adjustment.

I love turbo diesels though just for the low down grunt, and I do miss that a bit, but the journey's I do means my new car has about the same mpg as a diesel once you factor in the cheaper price of petrol and I don't have to worry about DPF's, not being allowed into cities etc etc.

Having said all that I still have a big issue with the original 'holier than thou' post, as coab said these aren't easy times and people shouldn't be criticised for driving the car they can afford to get to their place of work etc.
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 14:20   #17
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
So you drove 200 miles and it was ruined by other people driving cars?

I'll give you a 1 for effort in terms of actually posting that but you'll have to buck your ideas up if you want to get past level 1 Internet Troll status

To be fair most of my enjoyment in driving is often marred by other people driving cars... Usually slow ones in front of me or with no indicators/ no lights/ too bright lights or too fast ones behind me...

Never really bothers me if someone washes their car or not or what fuel their car burns.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 14:26   #18
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

Im not strapped for cash and not long had my diesel, it has had a tuning box fitted and egr blanked i belive in the past by one of its previous owners (and a mk2 75 front end and mk2 ztt rear bumper) and accelerates pretty good and is very respnsive. but it doesnt smoke. Ocasionlly when you floor it you leave a small white cloud. runs spot on as sweet as a nut.I also use asda fuel, always have. I have had no issues with it in either of my two metros and now the 75.

Last edited by Briodyjl01; 17th October 2018 at 14:30..
Briodyjl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 15:39   #19
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

I seem to have touched a nerve, I posted a true picture of the conditions on that day. Good. An observation, I did not say " black smoke" diesel exhaust can be smelled before it is seen. The rest of my post stands, there are many poorly maintained diesels on the road and this is for reasons of cost and/or laziness. I do understand that many drivers fell for the official line on emissions some 20 or more years ago and are stuck with these cars. I see yesterday Audi car makers were fined £700million for fixing the emissions on 4.9million vehicles sold 2004 to 2018. and the ex Chief executive is in prison for his part in this and there are others to come. The car people knew the facts and covered them up and the Governments were happy to go along I understand why this happened, like many they didn't care, it suited them at the time but there is a health &cost penalty paid by others. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 15:44   #20
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

I seem to have touched a nerve, I posted a true picture of the conditions on that day. Good. An observation, I did not say " black smoke" diesel exhaust can be smelled before it is seen. The rest of my post stands, there are many poorly maintained diesels on the road and this is for reasons of cost and/or laziness. I do understand that many drivers fell for the official line on emissions some 20 or more years ago and are stuck with these cars. I see yesterday Audi car makers were fined £700million for fixing the emissions on 4.9million vehicles sold 2004 to 2018. and the ex Chief executive is in prison for his part in this and there are others to come. The car people knew the facts and covered them up and the Governments were happy to go along I understand why this happened, like many they didn't care, it suited them at the time but there is a health &cost penalty paid by others. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote