Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th October 2018, 14:59   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Rimmers postage update

postage from Rimmers £7.95, postage from someone else, £3.54
what am I getting? this
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-ERQ100650

the other supplier says they can supply so I hope they can.

When I order from Rimmers and give feedback, postage is always an issue.

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 2nd November 2018 at 20:04..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 15:25   #2
LotusLC
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi Auto / ZT-T Trophy Blue

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,238 Posts

Every part I have purchased from Rimmers is extremely well packed, a tad expensive maybe, but some of the parts I receive through the post from other sellers are not well packaged at all and I have had parts damaged because of this.

https://i.imgur.com/Cwa3376m.jpg
LotusLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 15:26   #3
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

I bought one of them last month.......... very well packed.
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 16:14   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Why does everyone assume that carriage price is what is paid at the post office counter, and not take into account someone is being paid to wrap these up, arrange to have them taken to the post office, or have a courier come to collect.

I don't mind paying for postage from Rimmers, as it's a lot cheaper than me driving down to Lincolnshire to collect it

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 17:53   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Why does everyone assume that carriage price is what is paid at the post office counter, and not take into account someone is being paid to wrap these up, arrange to have them taken to the post office, or have a courier come to collect.

I don't mind paying for postage from Rimmers, as it's a lot cheaper than me driving down to Lincolnshire to collect it

Brian
not taking it as what is paid at post office but £4.37 extra postage is quite a lot of difference and an awful lot of money to spend on extra packaging.
Everything about paying to pack and take to post office applies to other companies.

If the other company cant supply I'll have little option but to buy from Rimmers. I guess if you are the only one that has the part you can charge a lot, ho hum I'm in the wrong business

macafee2
Old 29th October 2018, 19:37   #6
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

I guess you just make a choice.

I agree that the delivery charges are usually higher from Rimmer Bros compared with some other suppliers but as posted above, parts are always well packed and usually dispatched within 24-48 hours.

I try and get together a few parts together and order to make the delivery better value per item.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 20:06   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

anything I get from Rimmer's has been, as others have said, extremely well packaged, and with brand new boxes. It doesnt bother me if a supplier uses a brand new box, and I do look around for shipping charges, which can be quite a lot sometimes to N.Ireland.

I take great exception to it being shipped via Royal Mail though to here, and being charge extra, as it doesnt cost any more than somewhere on the mainland. Other couriers, however do charge for coming across the water, and I cannot recall for sure, but I do not think that Rimmer's supplied the fuel tank strap in its brand new box, with appropriate airpak padding used RM.

Suppliers who use couriers on a regular basis, quite often will have contracts, which will often be fixed rates. This is why some suppliers appear to be more expensive than others.

£7.95 is not a lot (and I reckon to get that here, you would be looking at the £10.95 shipping cost), if you think of it. £5 per item via a contracted courier (thats what our couriers charged up to a certain size and weight per item), plus 15 minutes (at £10 per hour ) for an employee to retrieve the item, find the appropriate box, assemble said box, verify the correct pick, and payment has been made, pack item safely and securely, print the label, and invoice, then placing it onto the courier collection software system, and place it at a collection point within the warehouse.

One alternative is to charge less for the packing, and then make the employee redundant, and then find another employee to get the package parceled up, when he/she gets time, and then ship it out to you, hopefully with the correct details, and not with the next person's address (remember, now the employee is under pressure to get everything out on time and do his/her old job on top).

The other alternative of course, is to increase the price of items to offer free delivery. Lose custom lose business, go bust.

This is the fine line bricks and mortar retailers tread (etailers have a slightly different business model)

One expects a quality service, one has to expect to pay for it.

For me, I do shop around, and can be put off by shipping charges, but that is how it is. I know I dont have to buy something from somewhere, I have that choice, for most things. if there is only one supplier, then that will be the price, so I cannot complain.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 20:45   #8
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Andy Mundy, Rimmers champion parcel stapler likes to use a staple or two to say the least to No danger of any Rimmer boxes opening during transit that’s for sure, trying to open them once they arrive is another thing
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 07:51   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The quality of Rimmers' packaging justified the slightly higher cost.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 09:25   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
The quality of Rimmers' packaging justified the slightly higher cost.
over £4 more, I don't describe that as slightly, Rimmers P&P for this item is over twice that of elsewhere.

seems I am the odd one out as most others seem happy with their P&P costs even when comparing to other firms P&P for the same item

macafee2