Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 21st June 2017, 13:13   #1
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Flags at half mast

Right. I work for the council, and in all the time I have worked here, which is over 20 years the Union Flag (not "Jack" as I don't work on a ship!) has always been lowered to half mast when a Royal dies or Rememberance Sunday.
Last couple of years, for the occasional travesty where lots of people have died, such as the 7/7 bombings, the direction has come down to lower the flag. Since then, the floodgates have opened, and now we are lowering the flag for seemingly every single incident!
First it was the Manchester bombings, then it was the tower block fire, then the Finsbury park driving! That flag has NEVER, in 23 years, been up and down like this. May as well be on elastic, it's like a prostitutes knickers. Poor thing is getting confused!

Now, the thing that REALLY gets my bllod boiling is this: Manchester - dawn till dusk (or, 7.30am till 8pm as it happens) and the same with the fire. However, the muslims get attacked by some crazy moron, and the flag is lowered to half mast----INDEFINITELY!!!! So the attack on Muslims is more worthy of a public display of mourning than the deaths from bombings and from fires? Even though the death toll was NIL (the guy who died already had a heart attack and the latest is the attack didn't actually cause his death) there is a lowered flag for this????

It's made an utter mockery of the display of respect and mourning. How can a non-fatal car crash (which is what it actually was) be equated to the MILLIONS of deaths from world war 1 and world war 2? How can millions of people be remembered with a flag flown half mast from dusk till dawn one day of the year whereas no-one died gets public respect for several days at a time?

Whatever happened to proportional response?
Old 21st June 2017, 14:51   #2
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arryhall View Post
Right. I work for the council, and in all the time I have worked here, which is over 20 years the Union Flag (not "Jack" as I don't work on a ship!) has always been lowered to half mast when a Royal dies or Rememberance Sunday.
Last couple of years, for the occasional travesty where lots of people have died, such as the 7/7 bombings, the direction has come down to lower the flag. Since then, the floodgates have opened, and now we are lowering the flag for seemingly every single incident!
First it was the Manchester bombings, then it was the tower block fire, then the Finsbury park driving! That flag has NEVER, in 23 years, been up and down like this. May as well be on elastic, it's like a prostitutes knickers. Poor thing is getting confused!

Now, the thing that REALLY gets my bllod boiling is this: Manchester - dawn till dusk (or, 7.30am till 8pm as it happens) and the same with the fire. However, the muslims get attacked by some crazy moron, and the flag is lowered to half mast----INDEFINITELY!!!! So the attack on Muslims is more worthy of a public display of mourning than the deaths from bombings and from fires? Even though the death toll was NIL (the guy who died already had a heart attack and the latest is the attack didn't actually cause his death) there is a lowered flag for this????

It's made an utter mockery of the display of respect and mourning. How can a non-fatal car crash (which is what it actually was) be equated to the MILLIONS of deaths from world war 1 and world war 2? How can millions of people be remembered with a flag flown half mast from dusk till dawn one day of the year whereas no-one died gets public respect for several days at a time?

Whatever happened to proportional response?
Honestly i whole heartedly understand your point and its crazy... but as i said in another thread... this countires moral compass is so far up its own ar$e its lost for good.
We panda to the minoirty every single time (not aimed at anyone in particular just in general) and then logic goes out the window.
WE NEED more fearce leaders people who are willing to go against the grain to fix this place, and stuff like what you write above is the pathetic rubbish im talking about.
IT HAS TO STOP, my god go back to WW1 WW2 and the country pulled together, no one no matter what colour they were had problems, there was no low lifes sat sponging off the state, everyone did something to help its country and everyone was proud to be British no matter the origin.

Now look at things, gangs... police that get sued for doing there jobs, firemen who dont want to fight fires, spongers allowed to sit and basically rob the country for money... the list goes on.
I wont bore everyone with it, as i said... i used to take interest in the running of this place and i tried to make a difference with my vote... but now i just dont give a stuff, its down the rabbit hole and i cant see it coming back out anytime soon.
Old 21st June 2017, 15:51   #3
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Its called "virtue signalling" yes it is and woe betide any who don't march to the tune. Chris.S
Old 21st June 2017, 16:02   #4
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

A couple of years ago there was a bit of a tragedy of some sort and so the council held a minutes silence. Then a bit later, there was another one, so they held a 2 minutes silence. Then there was yet another one, and they held a 3 minutes silence. Then there were so many protests about such a hugely long sitting around ignoring phones and customers etc. that they went back to the standard 1 minutes silence. The thing is, it becomes a scale. "Oh, 12 people died, that'll be 2 minutes. 28 people died? Best make that 3 minutes then. Only 1 person died? Well, that'll be 45 seconds". Utter, total nonsense!

I know no-one who was affected in any way by any of the recent events. I know of nothing whatsoever that has changed for me or where I work. I know of no ramifications whatsoever for me or where I work, but I have to sound the start and end to the minutes silence after each event, and we are all expected to be solemn and sad and possibly weep. Whatever happened to the British sense of manliness, the stiff upper lip? The English reserve? Now it's all chest beating and wailing for people you have never met, would never meet, are not in any way anything to do with you or your life whatsoever and possibly wouldn't even like were you to meet! But you are now expected to cry and wail and yell at someone (probably the government) and riot and protest and "something must be done!" etc. It's insane! I blame the Millenials.
Old 21st June 2017, 16:07   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Old 21st June 2017, 16:26   #6
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
WE NEED more fearce leaders people who are willing to go against the grain to fix this place, and stuff like what you write above is the pathetic rubbish im talking about.
Do we have an English Trump?

I will put myself forward please either that or Jeremy Clarkson.
Old 21st June 2017, 16:48   #7
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arryhall View Post
Now, the thing that REALLY gets my bllod boiling is this: Manchester - dawn till dusk (or, 7.30am till 8pm as it happens) and the same with the fire. However, the muslims get attacked by some crazy moron, and the flag is lowered to half mast----INDEFINITELY!!!!
Can I just clarify this Arry? I can barely believe my eyes.

Are you really saying that the city hall you work at has publicly stated they'll be flying the Union Flag at half mast indefinitely solely because of the recent homegrown terrorist attack on a group of people outside a Mosque?
Old 21st June 2017, 17:04   #8
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

I'd say keep calm. This thread is too emotive especially when recent events are fresh in people's minds.
Old 21st June 2017, 17:13   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
I'd say keep calm. This thread is too emotive especially when recent events are fresh in people's minds.

Definately, but it wasnt a non fatal car crash, it was an attack on the public. A deliberate act.
Old 21st June 2017, 17:18   #10
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
I'd say Arry should take a third job working for Trump writing fake news

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...18#post2460818

I'd also say this thread has no place on this forum and the comments in the opening post are attention seeking and sanctionable.
Closed Thread