Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd October 2018, 23:09   #1
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Handbrake shoe retaining pins pulled through

Has anyone else had this problem? Investigating, for this year's MoT, why the offside wheel made virtually no handbrake effort (it seems to have been like that since I bought it with a new MoT last year), I discovered, once I got the disc/drum off, that the short retaining springs were in bits and the push and turn pins were very bent and not in their holes. I straightened the pins, but found the holes in the backplate were cross shaped and the pins just pulled out. The back plates are not particularly rusty. I have had loads of old cars, never had this problem. I do know that I have found plenty of cack-handed repairs, mainly to trim clips etc, apparently done by the previous owner's "mechanic" son, but I can't understand how he has managed this one. One good thing though, I have discovered, having greased the adjusters, that it is perfectly possible to adjust the handbrake by removing just one wheel bolt, and aligning the hole, while wearing a head torch. Removing the disc/drums allowed me to understand the layout of the components, so I knew what I was looking at through the hole. Handbrake is now solid on the 3rd click, and I could pull it to 4 clicks if needed. I removed the nut on the cable adjuster (over 30mm of thread showing- tightened hard against the squared part by numpte mechanic), and put in a 15mm spacer - probably unnecessary after fully adjusting the shoes, - but it saves about 10 minutes of spannering! What a stupid design, just like the size and position of the rear caliper bolts - the easy one came off with a 1/2" spanner, the seized one needed chiselling loose, after I'd failed to get enough purchase with a 12mm open ender hammered onto it. Couldn't get a socket straight onto it. Bad design.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 23:17   #2
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

PS Fitted the the shoes and retaining springs with machine screws, washers, - and nuts behind the backplate.
Old 24th October 2018, 07:29   #3
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

A fairly common issue now our cars are getting older. Seems like you managed to get around it though, sounds ok to me. If it all works ok then it's a good job well jobbed.
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 07:34   #4
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

Unless the back plate is completely shot......... get some of these behind it.

Well............ not now as you have done it..... but if you hadn't........... LOL

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-sho...E8LJ:rk:2:pf:0
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 09:31   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

What you will find is that the backplates these days are wafer thin compared to older cars, I’m pretty sure you could make four rover backplates from one off a Ford Sierra!
Old 24th October 2018, 11:14   #6
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

It may be possible to adjust the h/brake with just one wheel bolt removed, I have trouble with the wheel off! I'd think you'd get better leverage on the knurled adjuster with the wheel removed. I've also found it useful to hit the drums between adjustments, better with wheel off. To go the extra mile I remove the callipers so pad drag isn't confused with shoe drag.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 11:31   #7
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

On an old car I had, the studs were inserted from the rear and the retainer was a dished washer with the cutouts that matched the stud "ears". These would work if they are still available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brake-Shoe-.../dp/B00CS0W6UC

This is what I was thinking about but I do not know whether they will sit on the springs squarely!!

Last edited by KWIL; 24th October 2018 at 14:13..
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 14:14   #8
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I fitted studs with nylon nuts on the end as you don’t want them fully tightened against the back plate, you must allow the shoe some movement to do it’s job.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 14:53   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
On an old car I had, the studs were inserted from the rear and the retainer was a dished washer with the cutouts that matched the stud "ears". These would work if they are still available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brake-Shoe-.../dp/B00CS0W6UC

This is what I was thinking about but I do not know whether they will sit on the springs squarely!!
They do sit squarely and do work. I have them on mine. I think sierra/fiesta pins work. 46mm is in my head but don't quote me lol.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 18:42   #10
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the replies, guys. It would appear that this is a common problem, then. I used square nuts on the ends of my make-shift retaining screws, only tightened enough to provide a bit of spring pressure - the nuts seemed to locate in part of the back plate pressing, so hopefully the screws wont wind out and let go - one to keep an eye on until I get some proper springs, and old style washers and longer pins. In theory, the Rover method is easier than the old way. I remember springs and washers pinging off all round as I tried to press and turn the washer with pliers while holding the pin in from the back! Anyway, word from the MoT man - failed on 2 rusty brake pipes, 1 apparently leaking, 1 N/F indicator (I said tap it!), and squinty headlights. I said I'll leave it with them to fix - I hate doing rusty brake pipes! If the bill comes in at around £200, I'll be happy. Hopefully picking it up Friday, and enjoying the excuse to drive my Mitsubishi Delica L300 on the local lanes, where it tends to win the war of "Move Over onto the verge" with Chelsea tractors! The Rover prefers motorways and fast A and B roads and is more easily bullied on the lanes, despite my Mr McGoo impersonations!