Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th May 2020, 14:09   #1
GeoffA

Rover 75 Saloon

Default What Charger ???

I have just fitted a new battery to my 2004 2.0 cdti. It's a calcium variety. What I wanted to know was what battery charger should I be looking for for it. My present one quite old. 30 years old, possibly 40 years even, and it has a question mark over it as I did on 2 or 3 occasions recently start the car with it still attached. Therefore may have shorted something inside. Can't test it. Therefore in the circumstances decided that maybe a new one would be best but don't want to spend an arm and a leg on it - up to say £45 maybe. I see that there are a dearth of chargers which one can buy. My old one was 8amps so I was thinking of looking at that power. I did see some advice to do with a Maypole product that said one should not charge a battery at more than 10% of its power. The one I bought is 75amps so that would be 7.5 amps on that basis. But some people say the more powerful it is the quicker it will charge.

So can anyone point me at a charger ( that they themselves use ) that's reliable and is certainly ok for calcium batteries ( as I understand it Calcium batteries are still lead acid but it's just they employ calcium in some way). Something of a more traditional design preferably but not exclusively ( I see that there are a lot of these .. well digital intelligent things about ). Something that's got some displays on that say what the charge rate is. Might have seperate boost setting.

thanks
GeoffA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2020, 16:59   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I am still using my Davenset 60 years old charger. Charges at 3 amps and gently comes down when the battery is nearly fully charged. I bought a modern piece of rubbish from Lidle about 4/5 years ago, all mod cons, singing and dancing, and guess what..................broken. Friend has a CTEC second one, all singing and dancing, yes, broke, so he is back using his old technology charger. You would be better off if you went to a car boot sale and found an old charger that works in my opinion.
Old 20th May 2020, 18:31   #3
livinginthepast
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer

Before buying you need to read the manual. The Lidl one works well 12v or 6 volt but the manual says you must disconnect the battery before charging. Likewise the Hella charger. The ctek can be used straight on the car without disconnecting which is a big plus. Also it comes with a five year warranty.You can find most charger manuals on the net if you search.
livinginthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2020, 20:14   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffA View Post
I have just fitted a new battery to my 2004 2.0 cdti. It's a calcium variety. What I wanted to know was what battery charger should I be looking for for it. My present one quite old. 30 years old, possibly 40 years even, and it has a question mark over it as I did on 2 or 3 occasions recently start the car with it still attached. Therefore may have shorted something inside. Can't test it. Therefore in the circumstances decided that maybe a new one would be best but don't want to spend an arm and a leg on it - up to say £45 maybe. I see that there are a dearth of chargers which one can buy. My old one was 8amps so I was thinking of looking at that power. I did see some advice to do with a Maypole product that said one should not charge a battery at more than 10% of its power. The one I bought is 75amps so that would be 7.5 amps on that basis. But some people say the more powerful it is the quicker it will charge.

So can anyone point me at a charger ( that they themselves use ) that's reliable and is certainly ok for calcium batteries ( as I understand it Calcium batteries are still lead acid but it's just they employ calcium in some way). Something of a more traditional design preferably but not exclusively ( I see that there are a lot of these .. well digital intelligent things about ). Something that's got some displays on that say what the charge rate is. Might have seperate boost setting.

thanks
Hi there Jeff.

Go to the thread on the main forum page and have a look in the ---Really, Really useful thread.

You will find several posts I put in there on batteries and charging them.

NEVER try and fast-charge a lead acid car battery.

Most of the latest battery chargers as per Lidles will do the job OK if you use and not abuse them.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2020, 20:29   #5
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Hi there Jeff.

Go to the thread on the main forum page and have a look in the ---Really, Really useful thread.

You will find several posts I put in there on batteries and charging them.

NEVER try and fast-charge a lead acid car battery.

Most of the latest battery chargers as per Lidles will do the job OK if you use and not abuse them.---
No need to abuse them. They break on there own. Put it away after using it to charge up battery. Six weeks later( I always give my batteries a bit of a charge during the winter months) and yes, well no actually, the mode switch did not work. As I said modern rubbish. Not just my experience by the way. If I abused it, how come my Davenset still works? Conflict of evidence?
Old 21st May 2020, 07:51   #6
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

I bought a Ctek charger a few years ago.
This will charge calcium batteries as well as AGM batteries, also has a recovery mode to de-sulphate as well.

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2020, 08:20   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
What I wanted to know was what battery charger should I be looking for for it.
Have a look at the C-Tek website Geoff. I have one of their smart chargers. They're extremely compact, suitable for all modern battery types and very well made. I do think that you're being slightly unrealistic with your budget though. A high quality C-Tek charger will be more than £45 but it will last a lifetime and so, in the long term, will be money wisely spent.
Quote:
My old one was 8amps so I was thinking of looking at that power.
That output would be ample I'd say. If it proves to be too expensive, go for a 5 amp model. Bear in mind that the charging current is dictated by the battery's condition so it's a case of: "can the charger supply that?". This is where the modern smart chargers score. Their control systems restrict the current supply to prevent any potential damage. As Colvert has said, it's better to allow a battery to recharge slowly with a modest current delivery.

Simon
Old 21st May 2020, 09:09   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
No need to abuse them. They break on there own. Put it away after using it to charge up battery. Six weeks later( I always give my batteries a bit of a charge during the winter months) and yes, well no actually, the mode switch did not work. As I said modern rubbish. Not just my experience by the way. If I abused it, how come my Davenset still works? Conflict of evidence?
Luck of the draw I'd say Dave, I bought a Lidl cheapy four years ago, dismantled it to look at the circuitry and general build quality then boxed it back up.

It is used constantly in rotation for the cars I'm not using every day, and I can honestly say I've not had any problems with it.

When I put it into context, I paid £14 for an item with a three year warranty, and it still works fine, I also have a Unipart starter/charger, but it can quite easily prove fatal to a battery if misused, and also a selenium rectifier charger which is easily older than me.

I repaired a Porsche branded Optimate charger for a friend at the back end of last year, and I can say hand on heart the quality of the pick and place of some of the SMD components was poorer than that of the Lidl charger.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2020, 13:51   #9
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Have a look at the C-Tek website Geoff. I have one of their smart chargers. They're extremely compact,....
+1 for CTEK.

They're so compact you can even close the bonnet with one in the engine bay. (Don't leave it there though! )
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2020, 20:44   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Job View Post
I bought a Ctek charger a few years ago.
This will charge calcium batteries as well as AGM batteries, also has a recovery mode to de-sulphate as well.
ALL chargers de-sulphate batteries.----

That's how you charge them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery chemical reactions.0001.jpg (135.9 KB, 14 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote