Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th September 2012, 19:32   #1
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default Wind Noise - New Windscreen - What Do You Think?

I've always liked the fact that I thought there was very little wind noise in my Tourer - even from the roof rails.
I had a new windscreen fitted by Autoglass the other week and the wind noise became noticeable above 20 mph. I took the car back to them and they refitted the screen. Although it's definitely a lot better, I still don't think it's as good as it was with the original screen. Autoglass have basically said I can keep bringing it back until I'm happy, but I don't know if I'm being over sensitive about it and I'm obviously listening for it now.
Has anyone else had this problem? What was the cause/solution? How much wind noise do other owners suffer/tolerate?
It doesn't bother me when I'm on my own as I usually have the audio on, but, in general, I don't have music on when I have passengers.

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 19:34   #2
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

Can't say I notice much wind noise in the saloon. Is the trim refitted correctly, properly seated all round?

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 19:35   #3
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Drive someone else's car for a comparison Robert.. pref a tourer..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 19:40   #4
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

This is why the quality of replacement windscreens concern me.Some of these companies seem to rush the process,one broken clip on the window surround trim will cause wind noise at speed.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 19:43   #5
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

I once had a Cavalier. It was a new company car and it had a noise that was driving me mad.
Eventually it was traced to the windscreen with a the lack of bonding adhesive in a small area. This was causing an effect like blowing air through a flute.
The screen was replaced and it cured the problem.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 20:39   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Incensed View Post
I've always liked the fact that I thought there was very little wind noise in my Tourer - even from the roof rails.
I had a new windscreen fitted by Autoglass the other week and the wind noise became noticeable above 20 mph. I took the car back to them and they refitted the screen. Although it's definitely a lot better, I still don't think it's as good as it was with the original screen. Autoglass have basically said I can keep bringing it back until I'm happy, but I don't know if I'm being over sensitive about it and I'm obviously listening for it now.
Has anyone else had this problem? What was the cause/solution? How much wind noise do other owners suffer/tolerate?
It doesn't bother me when I'm on my own as I usually have the audio on, but, in general, I don't have music on when I have passengers.
There is absolutely no wind noise from mine. It is one of, if not the quietest car I have driven from that respect.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 21:03   #7
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

No discernible wind noise on my Tourer or Saloon.
vindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 21:13   #8
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

I have to say there is no wind noise even from my battered old example.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 21:15   #9
ziggy72
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar S-Type R Audi A5 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
I once had a Cavalier. It was a new company car and it had a noise that was driving me mad.
Eventually it was traced to the windscreen with a the lack of bonding adhesive in a small area. This was causing an effect like blowing air through a flute.
The screen was replaced and it cured the problem.
as bob says. there will be a small area where the windscreen bond isn't the correct thickness which will be letting in the wind through a small gap. take it back until they get it right.
ziggy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 22:04   #10
X10Rich
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 190

I just had a new screen fitted to my VVC Coupe. This replaced one fitted by RAC Autowindscreens in 2004. When the screen was removed, the glue hadn't bonded the screen properly, in an accident, it would have just popped out. The glass was terrible as well, easily scratched and chipped.

I used a small local firm this time, who use Pilkington glass. The quality difference was amazing. Fitted by people who knew what they were doing too.

Just because your insurance company put you straight though to autoglass, etc, you don't have to use them

Why fit cheap glass just because someone else is paying - even if you have to pay a little more for it? Glass IS NOT all the same
X10Rich is offline   Reply With Quote