Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

View Poll Results: What would you do. Keep it or scrap it for between £1500 to £3000 with your diesel?
Keep it? 65 97.01%
Not keep it? 2 2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd February 2021, 09:12   #11
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

I'm waiting for a kit to convert mine to battery power and have a charger that works by burning old tyres!
But the serious answer to the question is no ,I would keep my ZT and ZR diesels.
For those of you that know anything about railways I'm a class 37 driver and seeing these things cold starting over the past few weeks would make Greta's head explode!
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 10:50   #12
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I think it’s a proper kick in the nadgers that the former centre of Britain’s motoring history is being used to pilot this scheme.
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:10   #13
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp61973 View Post
What's to stop one buying any rusty old trolley which limped through an MOT and trousering a lovely crisp £3k?

I suppose this is public money being splashed around. After all, the Treasury coffers are overflowing at this point in time.
Which is exactly what happened in various scrappage schemes funded by the UK government alarmed at a slowdown in car sales in the fairly recent past.

Hypocrites in government whining about car usage but subsidising new car purchases for those who could afford a new car thus encouraging greater car production and ownership.

Whilst I'm all for bus use ( by everybody else, leaving the roads clear for me and of course entitled government officials only) I grew up in a small village having to catch the bus to school and back everyday as a youngster. I must have wasted half my early life stuck in freezing cold bus shelters staring up the road scanning for the bus, many of which never arrived, It's put me off buses for life other than in an absolute transport less emergency.

Years later as an adult having been put off the bus during that time from my early experiences I was in the local pub in my village having a few pints around Christmas time and had to get to the nearby town to meet people, I mentioned to those I was with before leaving that I was going to book a taxi and was met with a hail of get the bus its due in 10 minutes and the fraction of the price of a taxi from the others despite me pointing out my early experiences and that I hadn't caught one for years because of all the times they never turned up.

Against my better judgement I trudged into the bitter cold night to the bus stop just 30 yards away and spent the next 25 minutes staring up the road for the bus out of the little window in the bus stop which had a howling gale blowing through it, that never arrived went back to the pub and ordered a taxi.

That was years ago and I think that I've caught the bus once since then.

Who do these politicians all of whom swan about in chauffeured limos think that they are?

Last edited by bendrick; 23rd February 2021 at 11:38..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:17   #14
R75800sd1
Avid contributor

Rover 75s; 1 Diesel Tourer, 1 diesel saloon,

@#11
It would be more tempting if the public transport on offer was a pair of 37's and a rake of mk1s. Good news is they're likely to be around for another 5 years or so at least. A proper tribute to British engineering. Back on topic what they really ought to be doing is encouraging people to make things like cars last longer if they want to save the planet. Its the throw away society for everything from pop bottles upwards that's doing the real damage. But too many people make money out of it.
R75800sd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 16:14   #15
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
I'm waiting for a kit to convert mine to battery power and have a charger that works by burning old tyres!
But the serious answer to the question is no ,I would keep my ZT and ZR diesels.
For those of you that know anything about railways I'm a class 37 driver and seeing these things cold starting over the past few weeks would make Greta's head explode!
Not this one by any chance?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 17:20   #16
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Get caught into hire purchasing for 3 to 5 years with global and financial uncertainty abound?

I know 19 people who have been laid off since September, and all of them are the classic pay off monthly families and now have handed back cars, sofa etc etc and nothing to show for it.

So people not remember the 1981, 1990 to 93 and 2008?

No thank you, in fact I will be buying as many MG and Rover cars as possible to keep for myself.

I fact I must buy another. Oh wait I did lol.

Last edited by Robson Rover Repair; 23rd February 2021 at 17:23..
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 17:37   #17
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_NI View Post

No thank you, in fact I will be buying as many MG and Rover cars as possible to keep for myself.

I fact I must buy another. Oh wait I did lol.

I currently have 5, and still keeping an eye out for nice ones!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:17   #18
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

John has already made the point the offer is " up to £3000", if it catches on imagine if the government handed management of the scheme over to the private sector and Philip Scofield made even more money from his contract with WeBuyAnyCar.Com sister company WeScrapAnyCar.Com and will rip everybody off as they do now.

I am keeping mine, there's more toxic pollution coming out of politicians mouths than my 75 , pity we cant scrap them or plug them into the mains and keep em fully charged !

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:56   #19
Alex D
Regular poster

1999 Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE, 1998 Rover 825 Sterling

Give up comfortable and relaxing journeys surrounded by wood and leather in my lovely 75 for uncomfortable journeys surrounded by disease and old chewing gum on a bus? no thanks.

On a different planet most of these politicians.
Alex D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:11   #20
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex D View Post

On a different planet most of these politicians.
And there lies the problem, if it doesn’t affect them, then why should they worry about it.