Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th August 2021, 09:51   #71
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Check the DOT date Tyres

I wonder are we still checking those DOT dates on our tyres.

The set on my tourer are due next year by date even though they still have 5mm of tread on them.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 10:47   #72
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Nope because it's a farce.

It should go on condition.

We've had 2 year old Dunlops and Avons either with perished walls or treads or both.

It all depends how much exposure to UV they've had.
Tyres aren't what they used to be plus some Michelins we bought recently only had 7mm on BRAND NEW....total con from Quickfit so beware!

We have original Pirelli Sports on a 2003 Connie here still in perfect condition as it's been dry stored for 15 years.

The rubber in modern tyres has far more impurities in it than ever before, we are all being taken for a ride

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 13:57   #73
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

I agree with above as i said mine have 5mm on them and look ok, even so i will be changing them out towards end of next year, that's how i am.

Quote:
We've had 2 year old Dunlops and Avons either with perished walls or treads or both.
Surely something wrong with the rubber therefore not fit for purpose and should have been changed on that alone by whom you bought from.

Quote:
Tyres aren't what they used to be plus some Michelins we bought recently only had 7mm on BRAND NEW....total con from Quickfit so beware!
Hopefully you returned them for a refund ?

Quote:
We have original Pirelli Sports on a 2003 Connie here still in perfect condition as it's been dry stored for 15 years.

The rubber in modern tyres has far more impurities in it than ever before, we are all being taken for a ride
I don't think my "my subconscious fear" would allow me to drive on 15 year old tyre's just in case so they would have to be changed.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 14:24   #74
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

My brand new Michelins from Costco also had 7mm.
Lasting ok though.
Wife had a brand new Corsa in 2005 with Continentals fitted. Sold it over 13 years later with the same tyres with legal tread and no cracks, having passed MOT and covering 44000 miles.. Garaged when not used so little UV.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 15:11   #75
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Don't get me started on caravan tyres! I have seen piles of matchwood on the A47 with a caravan chassis parked next to it along with a load of personal posessions, where a "legal" tyre has let go. One such outfit had the caravan chassis on its side and a Chelsea tractor with its rear wheels in the air attched via the towball!Don't take chances with "legal" old tyres.
Old 8th August 2021, 17:01   #76
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Had this with a motorcycle. The Bridgestones had stacks of tread when I bought it and had recently passed MoT. I din't feel confident with them but put it down to a new machine and just needed to adapt. On the way back over the Pennines heading East on the A66 there a stretch of poor road surface and I thought the back tyre had gone flat and struggled to keep upright. PUlled over, checked pressures (carry a pencil gauge and cycle pump, does the jpb). Nope. The tyres were too old, there was no give when tested with a thumbnail. New set of Avons and the difference was impressive.

I do seem to get a bit too close to the edge of the tread pattern sometimes though.

Johnny B
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 17:37   #77
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

In my ignorance i have always just kicked the tyres ( only joking chaps ) to check their condition .This very useful and quite scary thread has got me checking tyres like my life depended on it. ( which of course it does ) I find the tyres on the zt-t are on 2019 fronts and 2018 rears so as the treads are 5/6 mm they are good for a while yet. scarily though the focus tdci run around from 2007 with 133,000 miles has tyres on the rear from circa 2009. yikes !!! they could even be originals, down to 3mm as well so its new boots asap.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 20:41   #78
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Don't get me started on caravan tyres! I have seen piles of matchwood on the A47 with a caravan chassis parked next to it along with a load of personal posessions, where a "legal" tyre has let go. One such outfit had the caravan chassis on its side and a Chelsea tractor with its rear wheels in the air attched via the towball!Don't take chances with "legal" old tyres.
I do change mine at 5 years or a bit under and stipulate I dont want tyres more then a few months old

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 22:49   #79
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
I totally agree with the current view of tyres perishing quickly.
My Copperleaf 75 had 4 new Dunlop tyres in 2015. Used only from April to September they have only seen tarmac for 2 years. Winter tyres see the other months. Certainly showing signs of small cracks.
15 and 16 date tyres on my Streetwise are beginning to crack with the 15’s being worse.
Just bought 4 unions with tyres. 2 are looking poor and only 3 years old. 4mm of tread so I will be changing them soon anyway.
Warned a neighbour that the rear tyres on her Clio were dangerous with cracks all over the tread and sidewalls. Date was 2007!
According to her Father they were fine..........
I’m delighted to say she now has 2 new rear tyres on her Clio.
Took until late 2020 to do it.
13 year old tyres with substantial cracks and 2 child seats in the rear!
It’s Russian Roulette with sub standard tyres and young lives.
Old 8th August 2021, 23:28   #80
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

On my project zt the spare wheel is new and shod with a brand spanking new continental from 2003, visually it is perfect but................

My v8 also has the original spare shod with a continental from 2004, again visually perfect.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote