Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Items Wanted
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th January 2022, 11:11   #71
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
... you must not use a different cam carrier you must use the one that came with the head
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
It is quite simple Simon as Andy says they are line bored so cannot be swapped over
Hello Dave,

Yes, Andy did indeed quote from RAVE concerning "line boring" but there is no instruction that a different cam carrier cannot or must not be used.

As I've already said, if the holes are aligned there's no reason why it shouldn't be.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 6th January 2022 at 11:36..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2022, 11:32   #72
SD1too

Default Exhaust camshaft front oil seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartIngram View Post
They say the ones supplied are an improved design which shouldn't pop out like the old ones are prone to.
What are the fitting instruction for these? Which way round, any lubrication or sealant, how do I press them in?
Hi Stewart,

First of all the original and correct fully enclosed seals are not "prone" to popping out. I have fitted one new and one used seal to my car and both remain firmly in place years afterwards.

The difficulty lies with inserting them evenly throughout their circumference. The internal reinforcement makes them non pliable and the sealing requirement makes them an extremely tight fit, even when lubricated. I have however been present when a long woodworking clamp was extended between the cap and the rear of the cylinder head. This technique was quick and 100% effective as it provided the desired pressure perfectly distributed over the cap's area. I'd recommend the purchase of one of these.
The OEM caps pop out only if they haven't been inserted fully and evenly after service.

The ring-style seals which DMGRS has sent you are not "improved", they are just different and remove the difficulty of fitting the OEM part. Their disadvantage is that they leave the end of the camshaft exposed to the atmosphere so it naturally becomes rusty. I make no apology for saying that I find this abhorrent and would not want an engine of mine to look like that for the sake of the price of the fitting tool I described earlier.

You have the facts now Stewart and you can make your own choice.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 6th January 2022 at 11:54..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2022, 11:41   #73
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Dave,

Yes, Andy did indeed quote from RAVE concerning "line boring" but there is no instruction that a different cam carrier cannot or must not be used.

As I've already said, if ther holes are aligned there's no reason why it shouldn't be.

Simon
Hi Simon
The cam carrier was never supplied on its own it comes with the cylinder head only due to it being line bored and it would be madness to mix and match and potentially cause serious engine failure

Quite simple Simon RAVE makes no mention of using another carrier because it is not an option due the line boring of the cylinder head

Dave
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2022, 11:44   #74
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
... the cam numbers appear online in older car versions of zs and freelander ...
Hi Stefan,

Just to confirm that I have checked the Electronic Parts Catalogue for the ZS, early 75 and 825 plus the website of a Freelander parts suppler and have not found LGC106860 listed for any of them.

That number may well be quoted all over the internet simply because it's cast into the camshaft but there is no evidence that it's an official part number. It's therefore unsafe to assume that two camshafts bearing that number are the same.

Best wishes,

Simon
Old 6th January 2022, 19:01   #75
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

hi simon . yes i see your point. looking at the large numbers of advertised LGC106860 camshafts for sale , i wonder if this number although related to the part , is in fact a raw casting number used before machining. it could well be a base number for a few different profiles. having said that, these camshafts have another number on the casting near the middle section lengthwise. looking through, most of them that are marked LGC106860 ,they do have a second part number : LGC000140 does that ring any bells cross referenced ? stewart .... the best thing for you to do is to 1. check the old camshafts for second numbers in the centre. 2. check those part numbers against the new ones.( in the centre area) you never know what may come up. its worth doing now whilst you have the opportunity to check, it may give you some peace of mind, although i think you have already decided. ..... !!!

Last edited by xsport; 6th January 2022 at 19:04..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2022, 08:52   #76
SD1too

Lightbulb Camshaft part numbers revealed!

Quote:
... i wonder if this number ... is in fact a raw casting number used before machining. it could well be a base number for a few different profiles.

I think you're probably very close to the truth (if not spot-on) there Stefan.
Quote:
... these camshafts ... have a second part number : LGC000140 does that ring any bells cross referenced ?
It certainly does! It's the part number for a Rover KV6 2.5 litre inlet camshaft listed in 2002 (it superseeded LGC 107730 on very early cars such as mine).

Thanks very much for posting that detail which has answered the question brilliantly! Stewart, you can now confirm that you have the correct inlet camshaft for your engine. The exhaust camshaft part number didn't change; it is LGC 107740.

Simon
Old 7th January 2022, 19:19   #77
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

I have a pair of cylinder heads in the garage if youre still after some.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2022, 00:52   #78
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75

Watching this job with much interest. Fingers also crossed for smooth sailing to the finishing line.

Dougie.
• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 136,000 miles
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2022, 08:13   #79
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

I've been steadily working on the car, in the bitter cold at times, and between bouts of rain, we are actually getting somewhere.
My original camshaft (on the damaged head) was broken by me, so I had to fit the new head as supplied. In fact, both heads are now on, and I'm ready to fit the front belt. I've done a lot of cleaning of most things as I go along. Not concours condition, but it now looks quite smart, I do like a nice clean engine bay to work on. I've got one inconvenience cropped up though; the black plastic rear cover on the front belt (rear head) needs replacement. I've got one coming, but if it doesn't arrive too quickly I'll continue with the build and change it later. (Yes I know it will involve quite a bit of stripping down). I had a rounded off bolt on the old one and had to break the old over off. The new one had the bottom corner broken off anyway as received.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2022, 21:07   #80
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

hi stewart. are you finally up and running now ? i remember that when i did my belts last time, when it first started up , it sounded very rough. wrapping and tapping quite a bit, in fact enough to make me switch off !! then after a restart it improved steadily and by 10 mins later ran as sweet as a nut , and has since. i think the engine needs to self adjust its anti knock system and timing set ups as it does this itself. just wondering how you got on after all your hard work , hopefully a good outcome with the replacement heads and camshafts . an update would be nice ..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote